Anyone for a "D-Lux 4 Challenge"...?

bill

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's fair. It would be on a trust basis of course.

Maybe the fair way to do it would be to stipulate no more than a total of 30 minutes of post-processing on your final image - this is about your photographic skills with a particular camera, after all, and not about how adept we are with Photoshop ;)

Thoughts?

Regards,

Bill

I must take extreme exception with how you frame this argument. Ansel Adams stated quite clearly that the negative is the score & the print is the performance. I am very careful to study my tools & learn the limits of them so that when I visualize an image, I know that I need to compensate with camera settings to provide me with the raw information for me to be able to process & eventualy shape my image to represent what I experienced. There is no "purity" in being lazy or suggesting that what comes out of the camera's processor is "the image". We do a great disservice to those that what to learn & hone their craft to suggest otherwise. Thirty minutes, 2 minutes, 2 hours... This is the height of silliness. We should support people efforts to become better artists and to learn new tools & methodologies that allow them to express what they envision.

Ben, whilst I respect your viewpoint, on this we must differ. And since I have no time for Adams that is unfortunately not a good source to cite.

The objective here is to celebrate the D-Lux 4/FX-3 by getting out and using them, and then demonstrating what they can do. It is therefore a challenge to the photographer in all of us, not the post-processor.

Ultimately it's a bit of fun to encourage us all to get out there and USE the things - you cannot object to that, surely? If you don't agree there is no need to take part.

Regards,

Bill

Ben, whilst I respect your viewpoint, on this we must differ. And since I have no time for Adams that is unfortunately not a good source to cite.

The objective here is to celebrate the D-Lux 4/FX-3 by getting out and using them, and then demonstrating what they can do. It is therefore a challenge to the photographer in all of us, not the post-processor.

Ultimately it's a bit of fun to encourage us all to get out there and USE the things - you cannot object to that, surely? If you don't agree there is no need to take part.

Regards,

Bill

hi all!

i too have the dlux 4 (as well as the M8 but thats another forum!)

i too will join depending on rules...

for me the problem with limiting post processing is this.

some folks work very quickly in photoshop, lightroom etc. others are slower. to put a time limit on it seems silly to me.

the post processing of today is the darkroom of yesterday. there are many people on these forums that are having trouble making the transition (yes still) to digital post.

sometimes seeing an image processed well is inspiring.

inspiring enough to nudge one to try again and become better.

since some seem against post processing (other than a simple exposure fix)

perhaps you could allow both with the posting a before and after?

if its too much for people to upload and resize both perhaps the image could just be notated.

tfl, melissa

Advertisement (gone after registration)

hi all!

i too have the dlux 4 (as well as the M8 but thats another forum!)

i too will join depending on rules...

for me the problem with limiting post processing is this.

some folks work very quickly in photoshop, lightroom etc. others are slower. to put a time limit on it seems silly to me.

the post processing of today is the darkroom of yesterday. there are many people on these forums that are having trouble making the transition (yes still) to digital post.

sometimes seeing an image processed well is inspiring.

inspiring enough to nudge one to try again and become better.

since some seem against post processing (other than a simple exposure fix)

perhaps you could allow both with the posting a before and after?

if its too much for people to upload and resize both perhaps the image could just be notated.

tfl, melissa

It's all on the honour system --- no one is going to know if you work in Photoshop all night or just take 5 minutes. So to your point, if you (or anyone) are an unusually slow worker in PP, take a bit longer. No one is trying to be rigid or unfriendly with a PP time limit, just trying to keep emphasis on the camera, not on other variables.

Jeff.

Bill,

Thanks for taking on the task of putting together the D-Lux 4 Challenge.

Your earlier comments about post processing started me thinking (not an easy thing to achieve I should add :D) and it occurs to me that the rules should probably allow either 1) no post-processing or 2) any amount.

The reason I say this is that it will be very difficult to police anything in between and besides, there is likely to either be significant confusion over what is, and isn't, allowed or a very lengthy and restrictive set of rules, both of which would detract from the enjoyment of the challenge and are likely to put people off. Additionally, not all software is equal, so the rules might unwittingly offer an advantage to those with, say, PS CS4 over those with PS Elements.

If the decision went to 'no processing' then we're left with jpegs straight out of the D-Lux 4 because RAW files are, well, RAW files and not ready for presentation. However, if only jpegs straight out of the camera are allowed then the processing will simply have been moved from our computers to inside the camera, which may then to a greater or lesser degree turn the challenge into a 'who can choose the best D-Lux 4 in-camera effects' challenge because the D-Lux 4 offers so much variation. This would certainly encourage challengers to become intimately acquainted with their cameras but seems to slightly miss the point of the challenge.

If, on the other hand, any amount of post-processing is allowed then:

a) it immediately removes suspicion and gripes about whether too much time was spent processing an image

B) it will encourage challengers to experiment with the tools at hand and become more skilled in their use

c) it will offer full freedom to produce an image as originally conceived in the mind's eye

d) 'over-shopping' will likely be self-evident

e) after all, the masses will vote as they see fit and artificiality is likely to gain fewer votes.

It might even be interesting to offer a way to invite (if desired) others the opportunity to do their best with your image, which would to some extent allow different processing skill levels to be evened out.

These are just some things that occurred to me that I thought might be helpful and, although I would vote for no restriction on processing, and I don't possess any particular skills, I would prefer the freedom to properly ruin my image at my leisure. :D

Pete.

Bill,

Thanks for taking on the task of putting together the D-Lux 4 Challenge.

Your earlier comments about post processing started me thinking (not an easy thing to achieve I should add :D) and it occurs to me that the rules should probably allow either 1) no post-processing or 2) any amount.

etc...

Pete.

Pete, thanks for taking the time to think this through - you make some very sound points. I'll mull this over as I work on the rules. I have a busy and short week this week, so please bear with me. I'll try to post the rules in the next couple of days, and get a timetable out. I don't want to clash with the currently-running Barnack Challenge, so I'll work around that.

Welcome all who have expressed an interest to participate - I love things that get people - and me - out there taking pictures! :D

Regards,

Bill

My D-Lux 4 is in the post, so please count me in too.

Regarding post-processing rules, I have a suggestion. How about any amount is permitted but contestants should submit the original image and the final image for comparison, and possibly even their workflow steps.

IMHO its a great learning process to see how and why people make their post-processing decisions, but maybe thats beyond the scope of this challenge?

A possibility for rules is

1. Only traditional darkroom methods, if desired - dodging, burning, contrast control, cropping, and saturation control ( the wild card in the digital realm is the sharpening) Most every advanced photo going to print out of a camera for the past 50 or more years has received this level of manipulation - even a B&W news photo needed for a deadline. The only film that didn't received any manipulation was slide film, but even then special lens filters were a big part of that game.

2. Plug-in special effects filters allowed - let the photographer have at it, if that's how they shoot. Any painting on a wall in a museum was a special effect of how a painter's mind's eye rendered a subject or scene and dictated the techniques they used to achieve it on canvas (wood, paper, etc.)

3. JPEGs straight from the camera using only the in camera effects.

Sounds like fun - count me in!

The D-Lux 4 is truly a remarkable little camera that is just incredible fun to use and the images it can produce are nothing short of incredible for such a small device. I already loved the D-Lux 3 when that came out, but the 4 is definitely a big leap forward in terms of image quality and responsiveness. The best thing of all though - the Summicron lens with its 24mm equivalent wide angle and f 2.0 (and that's a usable f 2.0 as well!)

Leica really came up with a winner here!