Selling digital prints online - which site to choose?

phc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've decided to take the plunge and try to sell digital "on-demand" prints online. Does anyone do this already?

Have any recommendations regarding the best websites to use?

I shoot all film, so I'm hoping to provide a scan of a neg to a site, from which they sell prints to the public. I think SmugMug is one option, but they're definitely orientated towards colour digital and I'm definitely not.

What about ArtistRising? Anyone tried them?

Words of advice?

Cheers, Paul.

Can't fault your logic there Andy!

And you're quite right - not as easy as it looks.

The Ph.Art site looks good - but does anyone go there? Maybe I can use Google to see visitation stats for the various sites. Will investigate.

Cheers, Paul.

I think the problem with most of these sites is that they are very random and there is an enormous amount of work for potential customers to trawl through, unless they are looking for a very specific image.

Would any of the sites mentioned above give you hard facts on numbers of prints sold, income per photographer etc.?

In the past I've had some success with Photographers Direct Photographers Direct | professional stock photography images | buy photo stock images for book illustrations, greetings cards and prints for private individuals and, bizarrely enough, with Flickr, through which I have sold photos for corporate greetings cards and magazine illustrations.

Regards,

Bill

It's probably worth pointing out that Photographers Direct does seem to actively market your work - they put out a newsletter to buyers and a regular email to suppliers with analysis of keywords being searched for. Their business model is simple (*thinks* I'm talking myself into putting work on there again... :D )

Regards,

Bill