Another Leica CLA Thread.

mindlessdocumentation

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, having just dropped my M6 classic for the second time (this time it was not exactly my fault - I got bumped hard in airport security) in the six years I've owned it, I've decided that it might be a good time to get it checked out.

Both times it hit the cement - hard. No real damage to the body (small scuff on the edge of the baseplate). The first time I cracked a lens hood - a lot cheaper than a new lens.

So I'm not sure there's anything really wrong with it. But it's been a long time, I carry it every day, get it wet, drop it, and take lots of pictures. Sometimes I think the RF is ever-so-slightly out of alignment. Not sure. I should probably get the viewfinder upgrade.

Anyway, in terms of quality work and turn-around time (I am going to be very unhappy carrying a SLR while I await its return) who is the current best person to talk to if I need to send a camera and lens for a check-up? Any recent experiences that were particularly good?

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I realize there are threads about this but wanted to hear from people who'd recently had work done on film cameras.

Don at DAG is excellent, but long turnaround(Ive heard of up to 5months). Sheery Krauter is great and fast turnaround. Gerry Smith at Kindermann in Canada is also great and has a very fast turnaround time. Last time I used Gerry Smith and he is marvelous.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are all assuming that the OP is in the United States. There is more than one Portland in the world (there's the original one for a start ;) ), so it could be that he needs advice on UK engineers.

CRR in Luton seems to get the vote if you don't want to send it to Solms.

Third cheer for Gerry Smith at Kindermann in Toronto. Excellent experience on my M2.

A fourth cheers for Gerrry Smith. He did a wonderful job on my M4 and speaking to him on the phone he struck me as being a very nice person.

Can any of them fix that notorious problem with the SL2's 1/2000? My camera suffers from that disease and Leica Ginza has led me to believe that even Solms can't fix it. My usual shop won't even CLA it for me.