Sign in to follow this  
mindlessdocumentation

Another Leica CLA Thread.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, having just dropped my M6 classic for the second time (this time it was not exactly my fault - I got bumped hard in airport security) in the six years I've owned it, I've decided that it might be a good time to get it checked out.

Both times it hit the cement - hard. No real damage to the body (small scuff on the edge of the baseplate). The first time I cracked a lens hood - a lot cheaper than a new lens.

So I'm not sure there's anything really wrong with it. But it's been a long time, I carry it every day, get it wet, drop it, and take lots of pictures. Sometimes I think the RF is ever-so-slightly out of alignment. Not sure. I should probably get the viewfinder upgrade.

Anyway, in terms of quality work and turn-around time (I am going to be very unhappy carrying a SLR while I await its return) who is the current best person to talk to if I need to send a camera and lens for a check-up? Any recent experiences that were particularly good?

Thanks for any advice you can provide. I realize there are threads about this but wanted to hear from people who'd recently had work done on film cameras.

Don at DAG is excellent, but long turnaround(Ive heard of up to 5months). Sheery Krauter is great and fast turnaround. Gerry Smith at Kindermann in Canada is also great and has a very fast turnaround time. Last time I used Gerry Smith and he is marvelous.

Sherry Krauter is terrific! Fine work, knowledgeable, and personable. Fast turn around. (If you send a camera to Canada for repairs, do you have to pay duty on it? Just a question...)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You are all assuming that the OP is in the United States. There is more than one Portland in the world (there's the original one for a start

), so it could be that he needs advice on UK engineers.

CRR in Luton seems to get the vote if you don't want to send it to Solms.

If you send items to Kindermann, you simply declare [on customs form] that merchandise is going to Canada for repair work, and is to be returned afterwards. That's it. Items I've sent from Tennessee usually get there in a week or less.

CRR in Luton seems to get the vote if you don't want to send it to Solms.

The only problem with CCR is that they are always slammed with work and actually have to turn people away...

Third cheer for Gerry Smith at Kindermann in Toronto. Excellent experience on my M2.

A fourth cheers for Gerrry Smith. He did a wonderful job on my M4 and speaking to him on the phone he struck me as being a very nice person.

I use Kindermann and Gerry Smith. He has Cla'd a number of M3, M2, and M6 for me as well as a Leica Sl2 Mot.

Quick is an understatement. On some of the M's the turnaround was only a few days.

Robert

Can any of them fix that notorious problem with the SL2's 1/2000? My camera suffers from that disease and Leica Ginza has led me to believe that even Solms can't fix it. My usual shop won't even CLA it for me.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nihilisation
      Hello everyone, 
      I just spotted some white particles on the far edge/periphery of one of the lens element of my summarit 75 2.5 .
      I bought this lens used two months ago and at the time I could not see anything. I cannot say 100% but I suspect those particles were not present.
      They are hard to perceived. I only spotted them while taking pictures of my first born this morning when I was about to fit the cap onto the lens and had a look at inside.
      The sun was very bright and I could perfectly see them, them were almost shining like crystals ??
      Pictures are not affected at all and I am only worried for the case of a fungus. I do not care about dust, but this is the first time I see something like this, hence me asking for your help/advises.
      Because they are on the far periphery of the lens element they are hard to picture. For the pictures below I had to flash the front element with a led light and it creates some ghosts/artefacts.
      For instance you can see that this "line" of particles appears twice, mirroring itself onto the next lens element. They only appear on one side of the lens and I also pictured the other "clean" side as a reference. 
      Pictures are not great but this is what I have for now. 
      I Thank you for input and wish you a pleasant week,
      Best,
      Fabien
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By leicand
      I owe to Leica the opportunity of this image. In fact, a couple of days ago, the Leica Store of Rome, Via dei Due Macelli, gave me a Leica S with a 30-90 lens, for me to have fun for an hour. It was about sunset. So, I climbed up the Spanish Steps, and also the stairs of the Church of "Trinità dei Monti". And then, I waited ... As I was pointing at the shadow of the balustrade of the stairs and of myself taking the photo, a couple climbing the stairs of the Church entered my viewfinder. It was easy, then, to seize the moment.
    • By robsonj
      - Leica M Typ 240
      - Screen protector (already on the camera, the protector has some surface scratches)
      - ThumbsUp grip
      - Leather case (unused)
      - Olympus EVF2 (logo removed, see pic)
      - RRS M240 L Bracket
      - Battery
      - Battery Charger
      - Neck strap (unused)
      - Original packaging and documents
      Everything is in fully working condition. As you can see there is some brassing on the body. The EVF2 I purchased used, the previous owner had removed the Olympus logo. The EVF works perfectly, though I didn't use it very much. The base plate is in excellent condition, it along with the leather case have been stored in the original packaging unused, I used the RRS baseplate on the camera.
      Price includes PayPal fees and insured shipping via FedEx to CONUS.
      Shutter count is hard to know, from the numbering of my dog files I'd say its in the 5000-10000 range.
      Happy to take additional photos and answer any questions.
      I have many sample shots taken with this camera on my Flickr feed for reference... https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=26449190%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&view_all=1&text=Leica M 240
    • By Winfoto
      Leica Q, neuwertig, inclusive Original-Verpackung zu verkaufen.

• By tom0511
      Aufgrund Umstieg auf SL2 biete ich hier an:
      Leica SL Gehäuse
      sehr guter Zustand, nur privat und sehr wenig genutzt Es war von Anfang an ein Displayschutzfolie auf dem Display mit allem Originalzubehör und Originalverpackung gekauft im deutschen Fachhandel (Fotogena, Worms) Die Kamera kann auch bei mir in Bensheim nach Absprache gerne besichtigt werden. Fragen bitte gerne stellen.
      Am liebsten wäre mir Abholung gegen Barzahlung. Versand bei Vorkasse wäre auch möglich. 
      Bei Paypal müssten wir über die Gebühren reden.
      Wer nicht die 47MP der SL2 braucht, kommt hier zu einem sehr günstigen Preis den Einstieg in das SL System. Die Flexibilität - SL Objektive, M-Objektive, Voigtländer, Nikon etc., der tolle Sucher und die Leica Bildqualität und Bedienphilosophie machen für mich die SL/SL2 zu einer der universellsten Kameras, die man heute kaufen kann.