Oh well, why not?

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thought you might be amused by these. OK, one does a bit better than the other on shadow detail (but it wouldn't show in a real world print) but it's not so clever when it comes to chromatic abberation / purple fringing. Which is which?

Canon 5D mk2 + 85L 1.2 / Leica M8.2 + 75 Apo Cron - both at 1250 ISO

... and I know which one is easier to hand-hold in low light.

Very pleased with the contender - not so happy with the high ISO 500 lb gorilla ...

Any similar experiences?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll play. I really hope the bottom set are the M8. Mind you, are both these shots wide open?

I know I have a thin reptuation, no street cred and am an obviously shallow person but I do find comparisons like this kinda interesting. Sadly, I've reached an age where I cannot really tote a big DSLR which is why I like my M8 but I would like to know what I'm missing by that decision.

LouisB

I'll play. I really hope the bottom set are the M8. Mind you, are both these shots wide open?

I know I have a thin reptuation, no street cred and am an obviously shallow person but I do find comparisons like this kinda interesting. Sadly, I've reached an age where I cannot really tote a big DSLR which is why I like my M8 but I would like to know what I'm missing by that decision.

LouisB

Yes I agree the bottom is M8... One can almost see the red dot reflecting off the microwave window :D

Classic transitional purple fringing from the 85/1.2 I'd say! My 24/1.4 suffers too. However the 85/1.4 R on the 5DII doesn't (stopped down a bit). So go on what apertures were these shot at? Comparisons are all very well IF you compare like with like and to an aimpoint.....

Aren't "L" lenses supposed to be Canon's top flight offerings?

As a Leica user you take it for granted that you don't get that kind of thing, I suppose.

The Noctilux is not immune from "that kind of thing" when used on a digital camera. It's not unusual for fast lenses designed in the pre-digital era.

Having neither a Noctilux, nor a digital M, I suppose that has exposed my ignorance of such things :D

Every digital system can display these artifacts.

Even the DMR, with a 50 lux or 80 lux, shot wide open, will display the fringing artifacts in the right light and with the right subject. Andy--I seem to recall you shoot stopped down quite a lot. You don't tend to see the problems so much there.

As for Canon's L glass, it is their best, but it is still much more likely to display these artifacts than any Leica glass. The Canon 85 1,2L is particularly prone to green and purple fringing on the Canon bodies. When I replaced the 85 1.2L with an 80R Lux, the artifacts were very much reduced, though not entirely gone.

Every digital system can display these artifacts.

Even the DMR, with a 50 lux or 80 lux, shot wide open, will display the fringing artifacts in the right light and with the right subject. Andy--I seem to recall you shoot stopped down quite a lot. You don't tend to see the problems so much there.

As for Canon's L glass, it is their best, but it is still much more likely to display these artifacts than any Leica glass. The Canon 85 1,2L is particularly prone to green and purple fringing on the Canon bodies. When I replaced the 85 1.2L with an 80R Lux, the artifacts were very much reduced, though not entirely gone.

Do I mistake, or will Canon's DPP raw converter not apply lens-specific correction for such purple fringing?

Do I mistake, or will Canon's DPP raw converter not apply lens-specific correction for such purple fringing?

Hi Luis, I haven't used DPP in years, but it wouldn't surprise me if it had corrections built in now for purple / green fringing.

C1 and Lightroom have this built in now as well, which speaks to how common an issue this really is for people.

I just played with Aperture and darkened the Canon and applied noise reduction (Dfine 2, automatic) to the Leice. Here thea are.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Chris - I have both as well and I have just a couple of serious thoughts before I trash your post with some humor (hopefully).

Your M8 photo was shot one stop faster and looks underexposed in comparison. So, re-do it and shoot the M8 more to the left and your shadow noise will be better in the M8. Not as good as the 5DII (your examples are 1250) but, much better. I have found that at lower ISO, my M8 can make more pleasing images than my 5DII.

I know that you posted because of the lens problem. And, I would have to agree, the lenses make for an entirely different story. Leica glass is fantastic and keeps the M8 as my favorite.

The Canon does a lot of things better and I won't go into that but, yeah the M8 is a lot better than even the Leica Forum gives it credit for if you take the sum of all of the pieces of the M8 kit (lens and camera).

When I got the 5DII I thought it would make me sick about my M8 and it didn't. Still like the images out of the M8. It made me realize that Leica has some time to really get the M9 right because I'm fine with my M8 for now.

Now, what I really want to talk about Chris.:D The microwave clock says that it is only about 6:00 pm yet, I can't help but notice that you have already finished over half of that bottle of wine in the foreground. :eek:

Edited by Rick
Spelling

I'll play too, as an old hand at and great believer in comparison threads. Every time we buy a camera we make a comparison between it and the ones we chose not to buy so we might as well know why we did it.

BTW I have a 5DII too as of recently. I got it because I thought better than to sell a bag of glass and accessories just cos at the moment the Nikons are a bit better and because I do need a 'proper' SLR available and the G1 SOOOOoooo doesn't qualify.

No peeping at EXIF here. No peeping needed even at the 100% crops. Within one micro second it was clear that the second one was the M8.

I will wax poetic here: the M8, the Sigma DP1 (sometimes) and the Phase One P45 back, are the only cameras I have yet found that make the light look like that. Like it's not spilling from one thing in the scene to another but rather, is clear and clean. I'm sure the effect could be broken down into lack of CA, no AA filter, better micro contrast, whatever. But it sure does work for me!

Thank you for posting, and Imants, tsk tsk, Mummy told you about mentioning bat shit in public...

Tim