Leica M8 Used By NBC News Correspondent Ann Curry In Darfur

johnbuckley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ann Curry of NBC News did a feature tonight on Darfur, where she accompanied the actor George Clooney through various camps. She was prominently wearing an M8 around her neck with the new 21 Summilux... No, just kidding on the latter. (This wasn't like Seal getting a jump on the M8 back in '06.) Actually looked like she had a 35mm lens, replete with UV/IR filter, but no lens cap. Still, first time the 10 million US viewers who watch NBC Nightly News got a glimpse of a Leica, whether they knew it or not.

Now, while fun will certainly be had on this posting, remember: it still is a novelty to see an M8 in use on network television...

Ann Curry of NBC News did a feature tonight on Darfur, where she accompanied the actor George Clooney through various camps. She was prominently wearing an M8 around her neck with the new 21 Summilux... No, just kidding on the latter. (This wasn't like Seal getting a jump on the M8 back in '06.) Actually looked like she had a 35mm lens, replete with UV/IR filter, but no lens cap. Still, first time the 10 million US viewers who watch NBC Nightly News got a glimpse of a Leica, whether they knew it or not.

Now, while fun will certainly be had on this posting, remember: it still is a novelty to see an M8 in use on network television...

She is a fantastic photographer and so is Seal.

Oh man, you beat me to this. Yeah, looked like an M8 with a 28 cron. I jumped up out of my chair to get a closer look and my wife said it was the fastest I've moved all day (new baby and feeling a bit sleep deprived). I've always been a big Ann Curry fan (umm, what isn't there to like?) and know she hangs with some of the best pjs in the world and is a really sound person.

I had the same reaction as Charles. "Wait.... isn't that.... go back, go back..." Thank Heavens for TiVo.

I believe this is the link ( you have to watch an ad first, and I didn't want to see an ad on herpes...):

NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams: News and videos from the evening broadcast- msnbc.com

Edited by johnbuckley

Tough luck missing your focus, Kevin, looks the like you nailed some old bloke wearing a blanket. :p

Pete.

I have to admit it is not my work... But the work of a Canon EOS 1D Mark IIN aficionado... I foung it on his blog... His caption reads

"As the Dalai Lama entered the stage, a woman stood right behind him with a still camera shooting photos. We didn't know who she was, only that she was absolutely KILLING our backgrounds, as His Holiness bowed and greeted the audience. Only after the introductions and the speakers were seated did we realize the woman was NBC's Ann Curry, who was a surprise member of the panel"

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.com/bestseatinthehouse/2008/04/

2004345703.jpg

Edited by sfokevin

oh the irony!

From The Frontline Club, Feb 2007

In the picture with Gary Knight: Darfur's war without end

'Since 2003 a war has been raging in Darfur under the nose of the world's political elite. Well-meaning politicians and celebrities have beaten a path to the refugee camps, been photographed with raped women and orphaned children, wrung their hands and called for something - anything - to be done. Little of any consequence has been.'

Frontline Club - Events: In the picture with Gary Knight: Darfur's war without end

exacly 2 years later and NBC and George Cloony visit a few camps and the result is 'look, a Leica!'

I wonder if tens of thousands of New Yorkers, Dubliners or Londoners were being murdered and raped that would be a harmless subject of general interest?

Incidentally, Gary Knight is a Leica user as well, just dont ask his opinion of the M8...

OK, I'm finished with this thread. Enjoy your harmless fun

I'll second that Eoin. Come on Guy, this is just a harmless thread of general interest to Leica people, why do you feel the need to put a damper on it?

You are right but it is also a sign of times that people get moved from their sofa more by a camera than war. And I include myself in those. It is good to have a reality check once in a while, just like Guy wrote. Nothing bad about it IMO.

Edited by yanidel

I recall a thread in one of the Leica forums about a Leica in WTC, around 9/11. Not that I compare 9/11 to a genocide, but that is still at least a partial answer to your question. Nobody suspected it was disrespectful back then as nobody had any doubt that the general public is highly concern about the events, and does not need to prove it at any moment, so why do you assume otherwise in this case? I don't find this thread offensive at all. I am one of those who believe that shooting people with a Leica can be much more respectful than shooting them with 400mm Tele of this or another Mark VIII and I am happy to hear of this choice especially in a place like Darffour . Besides, when a serious photographer takes an M8 to such a mission, I feel that it connects him to a certain tradition of war and aftermath photography, and at the same time, it gives a reassurance that the M8 is a reliable tool that could take such a mission, just like the M3, M6... were.

oh the irony!

From The Frontline Club, Feb 2007

In the picture with Gary Knight: Darfur's war without end

'Since 2003 a war has been raging in Darfur under the nose of the world's political elite. Well-meaning politicians and celebrities have beaten a path to the refugee camps, been photographed with raped women and orphaned children, wrung their hands and called for something - anything - to be done. Little of any consequence has been.'

Frontline Club - Events: In the picture with Gary Knight: Darfur's war without end

exacly 2 years later and NBC and George Cloony visit a few camps and the result is 'look, a Leica!'

I wonder if tens of thousands of New Yorkers, Dubliners or Londoners were being murdered and raped that would be a harmless subject of general interest?

Incidentally, Gary Knight is a Leica user as well, just dont ask his opinion of the M8...

OK, I'm finished with this thread. Enjoy your harmless fun