Sign in to follow this  
Lasex

A second hand M8 - waste of money?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ridiculous thread. Just buy a used/new M8 if you want to shoot with a digital M. Buy a used new Canon/Nikon if you want to shoot with a dslr. I have both (two M8's and a Nikon D3) and both are great - and both are now considered "outdated" even though less than a year ago they were considered top of the line. Neither makes worse pictures now then when they were considered the best. It will always be this way with digital, so one just has to either get what they want to work with and be happy with that for a while or just constantly moan and whine and spend lots of $ to keep up with the Joneses.

Get the camera you want/need and stop worrying about what the photographer next to you is using.

Guest Luis D
a Model T will make a cross-country trip today just as well as it did the day it left the factory. But if you want to know how well that is, I'll tell you about my parents' Michigan to California and back again Model T trip in the mid twenties.

I find interesting how the weakest arguments are typically accompanied by the most outrageous analogies

Let us try again, except this time make the analogy intelligent, since we are speaking of digital cameras just one generation past: a cross-country trip in a 2006 S-Class Mercedes, which is now "outdated" by completely new generation. Edited by Luis D

Guest malland
...I have no idea why you think your very own particular 'improvements' are precisely those that would make some future M8/9 the 'perfect' camera for everyone.
Not surprising that you have no idea why, considering that I never said that. What I wrote was, "I suggested the following imrpovements that, FRONT MY POINT OF VIEW, are necessary or desirable..."

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Chiang Mai - a set on Flickr

Edited by malland

Mitch,

All fine suggestions for improvement. I might add I would like to see a button for top illuminated shutter speeds (always a bone of contention for M users in dark light) and more display screen options (such as the simple option of having the file number displayed on the first screen). I don't want the camera too complex but anything photographer friendly that can be easily turned on/off or ignored if not needed (about 2/3rds of the Nikon D3 in my case) is fine by me.

Charles

Guest stnami

Bells and whistles are useful to some Mani it's not hard to ignore them........ I shoot aperture preferred, spot metering, white balance 6250K or so change the iso and that's about it. I would like to think that the camera I own would allow me to change my shooting style if I needed to or I could let others use the camera the way they see fit.

Edited by stnami

I paid $3100 (2000 Euros) for a used M8 from B&H Photo in December 2008. The camera is perfectly functional and came without box, manual or software. No IR-cut filters either. B&H sent a photocopy of the manual when I called them about it. I can also find what I want in the camera's searchable PDF manual on my computer.

Pictures require very little post-processing compared to Canon EOS 1D mark II or EOS 20D, two 'obsolete' digital cameras I still make saleable images with. Leica, Zeiss, and Voigtlander lenses have no chromatic aberration compared to Canon L-series zooms.

The M8 is plenty good enough to show all the shortcomings of any lenses you mount on it. It challenges me to do my best work.

I don't see the original poster's point - you can buy a Zeiss lens or two with the money you save buying a used M8. Or use the savings to put together portfolios to show clients, or do self-assignments to build your photo library.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Quite right, Jaap. And if you've maintained it well, a Model T will make a cross-country trip today just as well as it did the day it left the factory. But if you want to know how well that is, I'll tell you about my parents' Michigan to California and back again Model T trip in the mid twenties. The fact is that equipment eventually becomes outdated. With digital equipment you can leave out the "eventually." I'd say that my M4, which I no longer own, probably is less outdated now than the M8. No doubt the M8 makes fine images, but Nikon makes equipment that'll do most imaging jobs better with less work, and, certainly, a whole lot more reliably.

Hmm.. How is it then, that I prefer my not-quite-up-to date 1962 TR4 to my state of the art Jag when the sun shines?

Guest malland
I paid $3100 (2000 Euros) for a used M8 from B&H Photo in December 2008. The camera is perfectly functional and came without box, manual or software. No IR-cut filters either. B&H sent a photocopy of the manual when I called them about it. I can also find what I want in the camera's searchable PDF manual on my computer...
Hate to tell you, but that was not a good deal because at that time you could have bought a new M8 with two-year Passport Guarantee and two free IR/UV filters from a reliable supplier in the UK for a net cost, after the £650 Leica rebate, of £1,8722, which was US$2,698, plus a UPS clearance fee of $70. With the latter price it made no sense to buy used. Delivery from the UK to the US East Coast took two days and there are no US import duties on still cameras.

Since January 31, I believe, prices have increased by 6% and the Leica rebate has been terminated, so that the cost is now substantially higher.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Wiang Pa Pao - a set on Flickr

Hmm.. How is it then, that I prefer my not-quite-up-to date 1962 TR4 to my state of the art Jag when the sun shines?

I hear ya, Jaap I have some strange and unaccountable attachments like that too. Had a 65 Corvair Corsa in the mid 70s that I still loved even though it was way past its prime -- maybe because it had taken me safely through two different 900 mile trips between northern Montana and southern Colorado in raging blizzards. At one gas station along the way I had to bash from the inside while the station attendent put his foot against the side and pulled in order to break the ice over the driver's door so I could get out. It was a shocker to find that that car was "unsafe at any speed." Wish I'd had Ralph along on one of those trips.

In the meantime I occasionally do some street shooting with an R-D1 while I wait for Leica to build a digital M that can be mentioned in the same breath as its film Ms without danger of blasphemy. But I do most of my work with a modern digital. It's easier, quicker, and you get better results that way.

In the meantime I occasionally do some street shooting with an R-D1 while I wait for Leica to build a digital M that can be mentioned in the same breath as its film Ms without danger of blasphemy. But I do most of my work with a modern digital. It's easier, quicker, and you get better results that way.

Just plain weird. The art directors who have run double page spreads shot with my M8 didn't blasphemy me. In fact they had no idea what camera I was using, but they liked the photographs. Why don't you actually try using one?

Not surprising that you have no idea why, considering that I never said that. What I wrote was, "I suggested the following imrpovements that, FRONT MY POINT OF VIEW, are necessary or desirable..."

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Chiang Mai - a set on Flickr

Hi Mitch

Thanks for the patronizing reply. I guess I'm just tired of seeing your list in every discussion on the M8 on every Leica forum since you bought the camera, whether germane to the subject or not.

Mani

Yes, let's get electronic framelines,matrix metering,live view,full auto exposure with aperture coupling, a mirror for optional use whilst we are a it, a dozen extra buttons for the extra functions like compensating everything that can be compensated and image modes and call it the M9. I predict Leica will sell twelve of those christmas trees...

Well, maybe this is a bit unfair to some legitimate wishes, but I do get the impression that some posters lose sight of the essential point of the Leica M cameras, and that is spartan simplicity with only those controls that are essential to making the image. I personally feel that the M8 has too many options already. I think AE with all its attendant EV compensation etc. should have been left out. But I guess my minority is too small a customer base as well.

If only Leica could make a digital MP and a digital M7 (which the M8 is) Edited by jaapv

Fair enough Andy. Jaap - you, me and a few others can buy that M8P. With fewer electronics, we can look forward to a totally reliable digital M.

Guest stnami

......aaahhhaaa the gadget guys will win in the end because it will made and sold and you guys will buy as there will be no option:D:D:D:D

Guest stnami

No it's not depressing!!!!...... one will press a couple of buttons, compose, manually focus and shoot.... walllaaaar all done and dusted ...it's going to be great

Edited by stnami

......aaahhhaaa the gadget guys will win in the end because it will made and sold and you guys will buy as there will be no option:D:D:D:D

Not so sure, as a lot of "you guys" will be happy to stick with what they've already bought. Whether the firm attracts new customers with a more gadget enhanced body is the question of the day. I couldn't guess, but I suspect they may already be wedded to their SRLs. But that's a topic for another day...

No it's not depressing!!!!...... one will press a couple of buttons, compose, manually focus and shoot.... walllaaaar all done and dusted ...it's going to be great

Is this a description of smile recognition?