Macbook 15pro or 13 both 2.4ghz and 4gb ram

woodda

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have the late 2008 Macbook. And I can say that I love it. I just came from the previous model Macbook Pro. And I really loved that laptop a lot too. But I didn't need a 15 inch and wanted portability. The new Macbook is faster (and sexier), but is not without a few caveuts.

First, the screen, the Macbook is given a lesser quality screen (cost reasons, no doubt) then the Macbook Air or the Macbook Pro. And second, they're is no firwire on this machine, and the only video connect is a propreitary mini display port (yipee adapters!).

But I still love it and just wish that the screen was better. Assurdedly however, the Macbook Pro screen (when calibrated) must just pop.

Things to keep in mind, Glossy in my opinion looks waaay better then matte finish. Though, I've always been told that matte is better for color reproduction. So I've been told. The new 17 inch Macbook Pro does have an option for a matte finish, and I recall the first impressions of that as not very good (I couldn't find the article, so leave that as I ctied). But from my understanding of led lcd displays, the higher the resolution and screen size, the easier/better the color gamut will be on the display. So these things might be relevant if your going to display some nice Leica photography on the computer. Hope that helps!

Actually, if it doesn't have to be a Mac, and the laptop is only going to be used a secondary machine for minor edits while on the road, I would recommend a netbook. I have a Lenovo S10 which has replaced my 12-inch Powerbook as my mobile machine and it works great.

With 2GB RAM, the processor is fast enough to run Adobe CS3, even to tweak RAW files in Adobe Bridge. The 160GB hard disk is roomy enough. But if you don't need the space, also consider the Asus Eee 1000, Dell Mini 9 (a fair bit slower than the Lenovo but the battery will last longer) or HP MiniNote.

The screen of netbooks are no slouch, either. My S10 has a 10-inch matte screen. There is a review somewhere that compared the screens of a 15" Macbook Pro against two IBM Thinkpads and the Dell Mini 9, and the Macbook screen came last of all four in all the tests.

You can also, as already widely documented, run OS X on most netbooks today. Easy picks for this purpose would be the MSI Wind (which apparently runs OS X seamlessly) and Dell Mini 9. The S10 can also run OS X but there are still limitations (features not working such as sound).