Macbook 15pro or 13 both 2.4ghz and 4gb ram

The bigger the better when it comes to graphics. The Mac-Book Air is impressive but expensive. The newer model Mac Book is aluminum and is more durable then the white or black places case. So don't get the clearence plastic case. They are at a reduced rate on a clear out.

Beware of the glossy screen on the MPB15, though , especially if you want to show pictures to clients. If the room is not dark it will mirror in the screen quite a bit, and the more from the side you view, the worse it gets. The client must be placed in front of the computer.

THanks. Has anybody travalled with the 15. Is it too heavy and encourage you to leave it at home rather than take it.

That's exactly why I got the 13. V pleased with it and I can take it away with me more easily.

If you show your photos to clients, it depends IMO on how many people will attend - if it is usualy a 1 to 1 session, use the 13'' - if it's more than one person, I'd opt for the 15'' screen, else it's gonna be a very intimate experience.

The weight is another thing, but from personal experience I can tell you that both of them are not the lightest to carry around - in our household we have the 13'' MB and the 15'' MB pro in use and they both are something that you will notice while travelling.

The next leap would be an even smaller notebook (obviously not Apple then), which then again wouldn't work well with post processing and as a presentation display for clients.

Overall, my suggestion would be the 15'' for versatility.

Edited by Venkman
go for mbp 15

cos the two graphic cards allow coming OS- Snow Leopard "grand central" runs much more smoothly. and also save battery life when doing less graphic intense work.

The current MacBooks have much improved graphics. I assume that your 2.0 has the Intel integrated graphics which are much slower. As of a couple of weeks ago, even the white plastic Macbook has NVIDIA graphics. It's a great little machine.

i have the late 2008 macbook pro 15in 2.53 GHZ intel core2 duo.

it has a 320 gig drive so that when traveling it can hold alot of images.

i had a first gen macbook pro with a much smaller HD 80 gigs i think.

i hate the new one. so be careful when choosing.

1st i dont like the glossy screen which is the only choice. its extremely difficult to view images if theres any reflection, which there often is.

i dont care for the black frame around the screen its distracting. the new keys on the

keyboard are a black plastic that dont feel as nice and the 1st gen MBP and the keys are a

tad noisier.

but worst of all for me is the internet connection.

you can go here and read the problems others are having (as am i)

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro (Late 2008) Wireless Issues ...

i will say that not everyone is having this problem but if being online is important to yu then id think long and hard before investing in this machine.

id like to add that when the m8 came out and everyone was upset about its limitations,

i knew that even thou limited it was going to be a grt camera.

im so happy i have it.

i say this so you dont think im being ridiculous about my mac.

-best melissa

The current MacBooks have much improved graphics. I assume that your 2.0 has the Intel integrated graphics which are much slower. As of a couple of weeks ago, even the white plastic Macbook has NVIDIA graphics. It's a great little machine.

nah, my mbp still the old model 2.4

wanted to update for a while, maybe will do that when Snow Leopard comes out

but worst of all for me is the internet connection.

you can go here and read the problems others are having (as am i)

Apple - Support - Discussions - MacBook Pro (Late 2008) Wireless Issues ...

i will say that not everyone is having this problem but if being online is important to yu then id think long and hard before investing in this machine.

There's certainly a known problem with at least the iMac and Airport Express - and possibly other Macs running Leopard. if you have the Realaudio download manager installed and starting at boot up - the wireless connection shows as being at full strength but doesn't work. I doubt that that explains all the problems though.

I just happen to have read a review on a couple of solutions, to the glossy MBP issue. There's an outfit called Power Support which makes an anti glare film, while another called TechRestore will swap out a glossy screen for a matte one for $199. Both options seem to get good reviews.

Of the recent Intel Macs, I've owned (or own) a black plastic MacBook, a 17" MacBook Pro and, more recently, a MacBook Air. If your intention is for the laptop to be truly portable and you are not driving with it to and from location (i.e. you need to lug it on planes and trains) then don't rule out the Air. I've used mine for all kinds of serious work and was surprised to find it very usable for working on images and graphics using the CS3 design suite (plus RAW conversions in Capture One). The MacBook Air also has a very fine quality display (noticeably superior to the screen on my 2.33GHz 17" Pro and the MacBook I previously owned). It is very bright, not that reflective for a glossy display and has a very wide viewing angle. I've found it ideal for showing stuff to clients. Just beware the single USB port. I've found I can live with it but it can be a pain in the arse.

There's certainly a known problem with at least the iMac and Airport Express - and possibly other Macs running Leopard. if you have the Realaudio download manager installed and starting at boot up - the wireless connection shows as being at full strength but doesn't work. I doubt that that explains all the problems though.

i dont have real audio and i am aware of problems caused by RA. RA has caused problems for macs for years.

it seems that there are conflicts with the configs of the wifi with the cable and DSL modems. also perhaps the 2.4gz cordless telephones.

since apple has a policy to never say they have flawed hardware (or software) its difficult to get real support from them.

some seem to think that the aircards in the MBPs are really the issue. i tend to agree.

while on vacation i had the option of 2 different connections because i was in a building that had several that werent password protected therefore open.

1 had a slightly weaker signal than the other.

the weaker signal wouldnt hold a connection for me where as the other wasnt a problem.

meanwhile my friend sitting right next to me has an older smaller macbook and had no problem with either.

as for those of you recommending the antiglare film i will try it.

thx!

my main problem with the glossy is that i rarely if ever print hi-gloss so the images look very different on screen with the gloss. my old MBP

had the screen i loved.

i do however love the speed of the new MBP and since i use lightroom 2 the faster machine is a must.

thx for all the suggestions. i love this forum!

-melissa