Finally - a pat on the back for Solms service

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I received back today, my M8 and MATE from Solms, after both needing further attention, following upgrade of the M8 and service of the MATE. The rangefinder's infinity was miles off when it originally came back in November and although I reset it myself, I became a touch dubious about the intermediate focus, which seemed to give more back focus than before the upgrade and seemed to be drifting further off after a month or so. The MATE's frameline changing cam was not changing the framelines properly onto 28mm, with the EXIF showing 50mm 90% of the time.

I am very pleased to say that the repairs arrived back on the scheduled day, quoted on my initial discussion with Solms. The RF now seems spot on, following testing with my 135mm T-E at 2 meters. The infinity looks OK, although it is raining so hard here in the South of England today, that it is difficult to be sure. They managed the adjustment without disturbing my recently fitted Rollei Black Magic leather. The MATE changes to 28mm every time, as long as you move the focal length ring positively to 28. If you do it very gently, sometimes the EXIF will still come out at 50mm but this is certainly livable with.

So at last, after nearly 4 years of less than stellar service on my lenses and cameras, a pat on the back is deserved. The only interesting point was that the invoice showed amongst other items, a waved charge of €191 for service on the 35 ASPH Summilux, which was sent solely for intermediate focus checking, with the strict instructions that it was not to be touched as it was perfect - I hope it still is!

Wilson

That problem with frames on the MATE is a known one. Because of that, the original mount (with the flared-out front) was re-designed, but it is still a problem area. The internal acrobatics of this lens are awesome---it is a wonder that framelines do work at all. So it is clearly not your camera's fault!

The old man from the Age of Prime Lenses

Although I had some fears and regrets that the excellent service I received from the technicians of the former importer in the Netherlands would no longer be available (more than 35 years of positive experience including free help when I was a student with a used CL) my experiences with service on both my film M6, my M8's and various lenses since then directly with Solms have been more than excellent.

Everything has been done within a short time and they have gotten it right the first time around. Telephone and e-mail contact has always been very helpful, friendly and where necessary I have been referred to one of the technicians for detailed explanations.

I realize that many have had truly terrible and frustrating experiences and don't know why mine have been consistently good (luck??) but I did want to put it on record

Maurice

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pat on the back withdrawn I am afraid. I was changing the B+W 486 filter on the just returned MATE for a Leica one, when I saw what looked like a large bit of dust on the edge of lens. After it would not blow off, I had a closer look with my Visible Dust illuminated sensor viewer magnifying glass. There is now a nasty mark running down the retaining ring for the front element and onto the element itself. It looks as if it could have been put there by a screwdriver or similar tool. It was not there before the lens' re-service, as it went straight from my purchase, when it had been examined minutely by me, back to Solms to have the frameline cam fault repaired. In any case, the lens has always had a filter on it. It will now have to wait until I get back from the far east but it is going to have to go for its third trip to Solms in as many months - NOT GOOD.

Wilson

Wilson I feel your pain and frustration. I am awaiting the return of my chrome M8, Leica NJ said it shipped out to me yesterday. Only God know if it will be right when I open the box.

I'm not counting on it and will be very surprised if something other then what it was sent in for isn't FUBAR. And this is after being at NJ for over a month.

Pat on the back withdrawn I am afraid. I was changing the B+W 486 filter on the just returned MATE for a Leica one, when I saw what looked like a large bit of dust on the edge of lens. After it would not blow off, I had a closer look with my Visible Dust illuminated sensor viewer magnifying glass. There is now a nasty mark running down the retaining ring for the front element and onto the element itself. It looks as if it could have been put there by a screwdriver or similar tool. It was not there before the lens' re-service, as it went straight from my purchase, when it had been examined minutely by me, back to Solms to have the frameline cam fault repaired. In any case, the lens has always had a filter on it. It will now have to wait until I get back from the far east but it is going to have to go for its third trip to Solms in as many months - NOT GOOD.

Wilson

Wilson

Sorry to hear that Wilson. Enjoy your trip to the far East... and you'll see later for your MATE, mate.