D-Lux 4 - of caps and SBOOI

bill

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I popped along to the camera fair in Guildford yesterday morning and a convivial affair it was too.

My D-Lux now wears one of a pair of spare lens caps, bought for the princely sum of £1 following some bin rummaging. The pricey original item now slumbers peacefully back in the original packaging.

I also picked up a SB00I 5cm brightline finder that has now taken up residence in the hotshoe. This closely approximates the FOV of the lens at full zoom when shooting at 3:2 ratio. Some quick experimentation (I will do some more) has shown that the parallax correction lines visible in the 'finder actually delineate the upper boundary of the sensor rather than the full field.

I'll experiment with this setup and report back in more detail when I get a chance.

Regards,

Bill

Here we go...

I've had a bit more time to try this out. As I first said, the SBOOI is a good match for the FOV of the D-Lux 4 sensor when the aspect ratio is set to 3:2 and the lens is zoomed to full "tele". Lateral coverage is pretty well spot-on, and if you use the parallax correction line (see below) then the top to bottom coverage is on the money too. The SBOOI sits firmly in the hotshoe - I don't intend to take it on and off - and there is no problem with the pop-up flash. All in all I would recommend this for anyone who, like me, sees the D-Lux as primarily a standard lens digital. For the occasional wideangle shot I am happy to use the screen.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

By the way, the lens cap shown is one of my 50p specials...:D

Regards,

Bill

• 10 months later...

Gentlemen--

I've just purchased a D-Lux-4™ and I'm in the market for a viewfinder. Forgive me if this sounds like sacrilege to some of the Leica purists, by my parameters for a finder are A) a unit that doesn't inhibit the flash from popping up, and B) something that looks cool.

Of particular interest to me is the Voigtländer 50mm viewfinder that closely resembles the SBOOI mentioned above. Will this 50mm finder give me a generally accurate idea of what will appear in my photo, or can I expect that it'll be completely skewed at certain distances?

Regards,

Ivan

Edited by ivan100000

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apropos the OP - bill, why did you opt out of the Panny LX3?

I tried the LX-3 in a couple of shops. It felt like a compact camera, and no different to it's predecessors. I have large hands and the biggest difference for me was the ability to fit a sensible-sized grip. I have nothing at all against Panasonic - I have had FX and LX before, and have a much-loved LC-1, but this time around, Leica got it right and Panasonic got it wrong.

Regards,

Bill

Gentlemen--

I've just purchased a D-Lux-4™ and I'm in the market for a viewfinder. Forgive me if this sounds like sacrilege to some of the Leica purists, by my parameters for a finder are A) a unit that doesn't inhibit the flash from popping up, and B) something that looks cool.

Of particular interest to me is the Voigtländer 50mm viewfinder that closely resembles the SBOOI mentioned above. Will this 50mm finder give me a generally accurate idea of what will appear in my photo, or can I expect that it'll be completely skewed at certain distances?

Regards,

Ivan

Hi Ivan,

I justctested both the Leica Brilliant Finder and the Panasonic Lumix finder on my D-Lux 4 and preferred the Lumix.

I liked the view through the finder better...it seemed brighter and clearer to my eyes.

I liked the circular look of the finder. It suits the camera and matches the lens shape better than the Leica model.

I liked the price $159 vs $349 for Leica in NYC. I got mine from 17th. street camera store but they also had it at Willoughby's.

I don't think its an accessory that I will use all the time, so I couldn't justify the additional cost.

It will be good for saving battery power by allowing me to turn off the LCD.

Cheers

LRF

Edited by LRF