In defence of 1/8000

biglouis

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Testing out a s/h lux50 and of course, you want to play with it wide open. I was surprised at how often I had to use 1/6000 and 1/8000 in not particularly bright sunlight. Makes yer wonder about upgrading or purchasing a M8.2

M8 lux50 iso160 f1.4 1/8000

[ATTACH]126289[/ATTACH]

M8 lux50 iso160 f1.4 1/8000

[ATTACH]126290[/ATTACH]

M8 lux50 iso160 f1.4 1/6000

[ATTACH]126291[/ATTACH]

Nice shots; really like #1 for the controlled DOF, geometry, and texture contrasts.

I've had the same experience with 1/8000. I call it the lazy man's ND filter. Here's a 1/8000 at ISO 160 shot, taken with 35mm CV f1.2 wide open.

[ATTACH]126396[/ATTACH]

Hi Louis,

Even though these are only test shots, I think that they are excellent (especially #1). I would say that this lens is a winner and you are quite safe purchasing it. Well done and I suppose one can say congratulations on your purchase.

Andreas

I'm an 1/8000 fan as well and keep my M8 shutter the way it is. Yesterday I was shooting in a museum and my click was totally discreet. Hope that on the M9 (the one maybe I will buy) they will restore it.

Very nice series of pictures, Louis. #1 to me too. The buildingds on the background have a very pleasant draw.

Thanks for all the comments - perhaps the unaltered M8 will become a sought after classic in years to come? That would be ironic!

The decision to keep the 50lux has been difficult because at the same time I own a CV Nokton 50/1.5. I'd say the lux only has an advantage over the Nokton in the area of handling and compactness (the Nokton is a bit big). In terms of IQ, the only difference I have found is that the Nokton leans slightly more towards CA than the 50lux, although this is only really noticeable against bright backgrounds (such as the spikes in the first picture).

LouisB