M8.2 now £2955/€3380/$4327 at Robert White

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had a chat with a gentleman from Robert White's. I am told that since they ran out of M8 before the cash-back offer was over [and presumably they managed to sell more bodies than anyone else], hence, Leica has given them a special [exclusive?] price on M8.2. This special price does not have any time limit, hence we can expect it to last a while. Perhaps, similar to some US dealers' new M8 price of $3995.

The gentleman who runs Reddot cameras, was kinda shocked to find out Robert White's M8.2 price, perhaps, because Reddot is already offering a 'special' price.

RW don't have any M8.2 in stock, but within a week, they will get the delivery.

PS: When we debated about the introduction of M8.2 last summer, I had argued that Leica should have tried to keep the price of M8.2 lower. In retrospect, I think, they should have withdrawn M8 completely and offered an attractive price on M8.2 right from the beginning. My personal sweet price point for M8.2 is 2500 GBP.

Leica needs a head turner, attention grabbing product, similar to the re-entry of Nikon in the DSLR game with D3, which attracted many Canon users to shift loyalty.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Leica needs a head turner, attention grabbing product, similar to the re-entry of Nikon in the DSLR game with D3, which attracted many Canon users to shift loyalty.

I rather thought the S2 announcement was an attention grabbing product ?

I also suspect that the "many Canon users" were actually previously Nikon users who left as the Nikon full frame failed to appear and their professional support went AWOL. Having a competitive product available drew them back. I think their loyalty was with Nikon anyway and they just had to use Canon for a while.

In the specific pro markets, press,functions, weddings, sports it is Nikon or Canon and Leica just hasn't the weight to play in those markets.

I don't suppose the gentleman from R.White was forthcoming as to why they have dropped the a la carte?

Perhaps all it's explained in euros

Some tow month ago, a M8.2 was 4500 euro + VAT here in mainland Europe, so 2995 pound plus VAT in UK.

Now 2995 pound plus VAT it's the same price than tow months ago if you have purchased the camera from Leica AG two months ago, but now it's 3380 euro + VAT because the pound it's falling against the euro.

There is no rebate, only regular price in pounds.

When UK supplies are out and new items come from Solms, price in the UK will climb.

How much? If Leica AG needs fresh money perhaps will cut his prices, then we'll see reductions everywhere, but I think that there will not be more M8.2 new at 3380 euro + VAT.

this new year there were many people going to the UK sales from the Continent because the pound it's so cheap than all prices in England are cheap.... for now.

this new year there were many people going to the UK sales from the Continent because the pound it's so cheap than all prices in England are cheap.... for now.

Pound is cheap. London is not (yet). :rolleyes:

Best option : wait 6 months and get a used M8.2 still under warranty somewhere here

for 2400 €.

To chris_livsey:

Leica S2 is not for all. Hence, it's not a head turner - the way P65+ is not. most of us can lust at it, but very well know that we do not need a P65+ or cannot afford it. Most of us do not earn a livelihood from photography. So, depending on which group you belong to, you will or will not turn your head. I suppose many people will sit up and straight once full frame R comes to the market.

Leica also needs to get FF R in the market before Nikon and Canon, perhaps Sony too, completely saturate the market : people would commit to a range of lens and get stuck to each of these systems.

Per 'M', Leica is still the only DRF game in the town and so can get away with it, though Pana G1 is slowly breathing on Leica's shoulder. If RF lens market is captured by CV/Zeiss and body by Pana/Oly, then Leica will find itself in a more difficult position.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had a chat with a gentleman from Robert White's. I am told that since they ran out of M8 before the cash-back offer was over [and presumably they managed to sell more bodies than anyone else], hence, Leica has given them a special [exclusive?] price on M8.2.

Assuming for a moment this is true, you were doubtless told about it in confidence.

What do you hope to achieve by betraying that confidence?

Just a thought.

Simon

But RW is getting a NEW/FRESH stock. And the price is for this new stock, not the old ones. So, perhaps, your observation is not correct.

Ahh! but RW buy from Leica UK the UK distributer, not from Leica Solms. All Leica UK supplied M equipment comes with an additional 2 year Passport (accidental damage) warranty as well.

Assuming for a moment this is true, you were doubtless told about it in confidence.

What do you hope to achieve by betraying that confidence?

Just a thought.

Simon

Not sure why a retailer who has a conversation about the product he sells with a customer (whom he probably doesn't know from Adam) would expect it to be kept confidential.

If a dealer tells you something in confidence, he would normally a) know who you are and B) say "This is in confidence", otherwise he only has himself to blame if confidential information gets out onto a public forum.

If the person to whom he has told something in confidence, then breaks that confidence, it is clear that that person will not be told anything interesting ever again.

Lots of members here have been told things in confidence. Not many would break that covenant with their informant.

Not sure why a retailer who has a conversation about the product he sells with a customer (whom he probably doesn't know from Adam) would expect it to be kept confidential.

Fisrt of all I should make it clear that I don't believe RW told anyone anything about their business dealings with Leica. If you have a "special" price from your supplier you don't let anyone else know about it. Fundamental rule of business, especially when there are so few competitors in the UK.

Secondly, if they did let the info out, presumably they thought they were talking to someone they could trust.

If on the other hand the salesman did give away such sensitive info to someone he knew nothing about then his boss needs to have a word with him.

Simon

To chris_livsey:

Leica also needs to get FF R in the market before Nikon and Canon, perhaps Sony too, completely saturate the market : people would commit to a range of lens and get stuck to each of these systems.

I may be wrong but I would think the largest market for the R FF would be current R users or those who sold the body and held on to the lenses, even using them on other DSLRs. The wider market is probably already saturated at the Leica price point the forecasts I see are for growth at the lower end to take sales from compacts as was the case in the non digital era.

The S2 is certainly not for all but then again is the D3x ?

It has been covered on numerous threads here. There is no import duty on cameras and photography equipment into the US. This may not hold true for movie equipment that movie studios use.

Thanks for the info.

btw, I agree, there is nothing new under the sun.

It has been covered on numerous threads here. There is no import duty on cameras and photography equipment into the US. This may not hold true for movie equipment that movie studios use.

John:

This is not a correct statement. I've sent and received a lot of equipment here at the US (i.e. sending equipment to Solms, getting loaners, buying and selling gear overseas, etc...) and always paid import/export duties... The only way you get away from paying duties is by not giving a value to whatever you are importing/exporting but it will be foolish to try to save a couple hundred dollars and have your expensive gear lost or damaged during shipping.

Cheers,

Riccis,

If you do a search on this topic you will find a thread with the US department of commerce import schedules. It shows no duties on camera equipment coming into the US because there is no industry to protect. I could search for it and find it for you but since I am not importing anything it isn't worth the effort. This doesn't mean that shippers like UPS or FEDEX won't charge you a brokerage fee. That is for handling the process. That is why USPS is best on foreign shipping as you won't pay brokerage fees only actual duties, if any. I have yet to pay any on equipment I have ordered and had shipped USPS. I never ask anyone to quote anything but the actual price I am paying and to insure for same.

Edit:

Ok I decided to save you the trouble. Attached is the harmonized tariff that applies to photographic equipment for import into the US for 2009. I hope this helps settle the issue.

Harmonized tariff0901c90.pdf

Leica is going to have a very, very hard time selling M8s for anything close to their standard prices for years. Even when economic conditions begin to recover in 2010 or 2011 (by earliest forecasts) people won't resume their days-of-wine-and-roses styles until long afterward.
Are you sure?I'm on holiday in Italy at the moment. When I tried to book for next year I could just get what I wanted. The owner had 50% all-season rentals for 2009-2010. It sets the customer back at least 10.000 Euros... The people that had money before still seem to have it, at least in Europe.- and more. All four- and five - star hotels are booked solid for 2010- that has never happened before. We are talking 200 to 500 Euro a person a day here:eek: The venues that are feeling the pinch are the cheaper ones. I haver a feeling the higher price bracket is the one to be in in these times.