50 Elmar f/2.8 New Style

barnack

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do any members have this lens? If so, what is your impression of it?

Improved version of the classic 50/2.8. If you are faced with the choice of the old or the new version, I would choose the new one. At medium f stops very hard to find any difference between it and the latest Summicron 50/2 at the same stop.

Teddy

Creamy and very underrated.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Relevance to the digicam???

You'd get more responses if you posted this in the Customer Forum.

Personally, I have had this lens from new and it would be the last one I would ever get rid of. Highly underrated, it turns a normal-sized M body into a pocket-sized compact (assuming you have slightly larger than average sized pockets. Even without the hood it is surprisingly flare-resistant. It is light years ahead of the previous versions in performance and is the ideal travel lens.

Regards,

Bill

Double cream !!

Nice lens. Still need to buy one after shooting this on a pal's.

Rolo

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Really great lens with the typical Tessar (oops i meant Elmar) look, bright colors, high sharpness and smooth bokeh, very good results at short distance, but also a very contrasty lens so beware of blown highlights if you shoot digital. BTW i don't find the focus ring very handy, much prefer the tabbed one, pity that it was sold only with the M6J.

• 2 weeks later...
Can you use store it collapsed on a M8, without damaging anything? Many thank sin advance.

I have what I thing is the new style, it came in a white box, and I can collapse it into the M8 but I also hear/feel it hit something inside the camera. So I rarely collapse it when it's on the M8.

Can you use store it collapsed on a M8, without damaging anything? Many thank sin advance.

Leica says: you cannot; users say: yes, you can.

Link (in German):http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/692486-post1.html

Better keep care, that it is not collapsed when you fix it. There should be no problems to collapse it, when it is fixed.

Well that is not quite what Leica says. They say so in the M8 manual, but the lens manual does not say so. I bought mine coded for the M8 too....:rolleyes: So there is full contradiction in the official standpoint, but consensus by the users. The lens can be used and collapsed without limitations.

I would go as far as to say that you won't see a difference in images made with this lens and a Cron.

andy

In terms of sharpness, I agree. They're even. However, the Elmar is far less prone to flare and has vastly better bokeh.

I bought a 6-bit version recently and it works just fine with the M8. This and the 35/1.4 ASPH are the finest lenses I have ever used.

Ozkar

Well that is not quite what Leica says. They say so in the M8 manual, but the lens manual does not say so. I bought mine coded for the M8 too....:rolleyes: So there is full contradiction in the official standpoint, but consensus by the users. The lens can be used and collapsed without limitations.

Perhaps the M8 manual was produced prior to the release of the 6-bit version and the advice not to collapse the Elmar (in the M8 manual) is referring to the previous incarnations.

My 6-bit version works well on the M8.

Perhaps the M8 manual was produced prior to the release of the 6-bit version and the advise not to collapse the Elmar (in the M8 manual) is referring to the previous incarnations.

To my knowledge there is no difference between 50 Elmar's produced in the early 2000's and the ones made in 2006-2007 with 6bit other then the 6bit coding.

I don't have mine with me but will post the seriel # when I get home.