Curiosity... one lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO this "only one lens" stuff is overrated. Yes, it's a good exercise for all of us now and then, but mostly it should be left to arty types and dead PJs. In real life, carry the gear that will get the shots you want (especially if someone else is paying:D ).

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But he did prefer the 50. You know what he said:

"Moi, le 50mm c'est ma vie. Une certaine distance avec les gens. Le grand angle gueule, et le 90mm me rappelle ces cornets acoustiques qu'utilisaient autrefois les vieilles dames."

Free translation:

The 50mm lens is my life. A certain distance with people. The wide angle shouts, and the 90mm reminds me those ear trumpets that old ladies used to use in the past.

Source:

Henri Cartier-Bresson

Photoportraits sans guillemets

Hervé Guibert, Le Monde 10/10/85

(quoted by Le Photographe n° 1607, page 28)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

IMHO this "only one lens" stuff is overrated. Yes, it's a good exercise for all of us now and then, but mostly it should be left to arty types and dead PJs. In real life, carry the gear that will get the shots you want (especially if someone else is paying:D ).

I personally saw some of my preferred photographers here in the forum, using just one lens.

I don't believe it's kinda of an excercise... it has something to do with self-confidence and skills.

Focus on a single lens, IMHO, it's more related to something like a lifestyle.

If client's paying then, it's not a matter of how many lenses, it's a matter of how many cameras+lenses and, at least in my personal experience, only an M8 is too much of a risk.

I personally saw some of my preferred photographers here in the forum, using just one lens.

I don't believe it's kinda of an excercise... it has something to do with self-confidence and skills.

Focus on a single lens, IMHO, it's more related to something like a lifestyle.

If client's paying then, it's not a matter of how many lenses, it's a matter of how many cameras+lenses and, at least in my personal experience, only an M8 is too much of a risk.

Self-confidence and skills ... yes, if you know that one lens will get you all the shots you want, you don't need to carry any others. But one lens as a lifestyle choice: that's like being a vegetarian.

Self-confidence and skills ... yes, if you know that one lens will get you all the shots you want, you don't need to carry any others. But one lens as a lifestyle choice: that's like being a vegetarian.

ooouch, I've been vegetarian for 8 years....

ooouch, I've been vegetarian for 8 years....
Almost 40 for me. I find it very useful to have a second lens to force myself to see the same content in a different way. With my DMR/R8 the 19 is standard, but I always carry my 80 Summilux. By switching lenses at least once every half hour or by carrying 2 bodies & lenses, I discipline myself to look at things anew and to prevent complacency.

Like many other things this depends very much on what you want to shoot and how you like to shoot. Many people here make the mistake that they think the way they work is the way everybody else has to work and thus the advice they give sounds like an eternal law cast in stone. If someone is happy with using one lens and feels he gets the shots he wanted, why shouldn't he continue to do so? (Especially if we're talking about amateurs which make up for the majority of the posters here. One of the good things about being an amateur is that you can do what you want.)

Good thing you started your comment with "IMHO"...

Hi guys, this is a question for those of you who actually own more than just one lens.

How many times did you find yourself shooting with just one lens, carryin no other lens with you than the one on your camera?

And, in the case it happened frequently, did you mainly opt for a WideAngle (12 to 28mm) or a Normal (35 to 50) lens on your M8?

I don't have an M8 but hope that it doesn't disqualify my point of view. On M bodies, there will be a 35 Summicron (1969); on the IIIg, there will be an Elmar 3.5/50 collapsible (1950) or a Nikkor 1.4/50 (1950). I'll put a 50 on the Ms when I want a change: so, Normal.

As to your precise question: "how many times", everyday: I currently have an M7 and the 35 'cron with me.

If I go shooting a specific event, I'll take 2 bodies and 3 lenses: 35 'cron, Elmar-M 2.8/50 and 75 APO-ASPH Summicron. I am doing a project this week and that's what I'll bring, well,perhaps not the Elmar.

Hi guys, this is a question for those of you who actually own more than just one lens.

How many times did you find yourself shooting with just one lens, carryin no other lens with you than the one on your camera?

And, in the case it happened frequently, did you mainly opt for a WideAngle (12 to 28mm) or a Normal (35 to 50) lens on your M8?

I always take my camera but when there is no clear photographic goal, I just take one lens. Usually a 28mm or 35mm (on M8).

Otherwise, I carry 3-5 lenses with 35mm being the main. Some days I use all of them, other just one but 35mm is on 80-90% of shots. Though I agree anything can be shot with a single lens, there are situations were having the choice leads to a better picture IMO.

And, in the case it happened frequently, did you mainly opt for a WideAngle (12 to 28mm) or a Normal (35 to 50) lens on your M8?.Thanks

Maurizio

Hi Maurizio

For me that's a 35 mm (roughly like a 50mm on a M7 isn't?)

but i also have a 50 mm on the second M8

so i don't have to change lens

Regards

Henry

I tend to use a 50 mm Summicron on my M6, and a Voigtlander 35mm, 2.5 on my IIIf. My biggest problem is deciding which combination to use for the day. I try to avoid carrying more than one camera though the IIIf with the Voigtlander is a very sleek combination.

I think it also depends on your subjects. If you shoot only people, and a lot of rangefinder folks do only that, then you can get away with either a 50mm or 35mm lens only, and be very happy. But if you're shooting other subjects, e.g., architecture,landscape, even wildlife, or in a variety of places, inside, outside, ect., then you'll probably need something a little wider or longer of faster.

But less is more very often. And it saves your back. Might as well be lugging around a Nikon SLR if you're going to hump all day with half a dozen lenses.

Guest darkstar2004

If I take only one lens fro my MP, it is usually my Noctilux (f/1.0), even for daytime shooting. I love the Noctilux fingerprint.

If I take two lenses, it will be the Noctilux and the 28/2 ASPH.