Michael Reichmann on the Safari M8.2

TimF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Indeed! I can't even remember the last time I saw anything carboned from an actual typewriter. That's going to have antique value very soon. It just occured to me there is a whole generation out there that has likely never even seen a typewriter, except perhaps in old movies.

Here is another one from my ring binder.

DSCF1037-1.jpg

KJP was a very friendly store and customers were offered a "film director's chair" and a coffee when discussing equipment/purchases. I think Keith Johnson retired early to breed lamas. The Benbo tripod created a lot of interest when I first started using it in 1984 because very few people had seen one. I decided to get it after seeing an illustration in one of Heather Angel's books. The tripod has had a hard life but is still fully functional and is in regular use. The Manfrotto head "broke" the first time I used it so was replaced with a Benbo B&S head which is also still in use. KJP later merged with Leeds which was then taken over by Calumet. I think KJP had previously merged with Pelling & Cross - another very helpful retailer.

Cheers

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe it's for people who just like green. Neither of these two beauties would ever be used to its true potential.

If you don't like it don't buy it.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 months later...
I've considered every Leica camera and lens I ever owned to be works of art. Much as the art I have on the walls of my home, I can derive pleasure from just looking at and holding a Leica. The bonus is that they are also functional, unlike what I hang on my walls.

I agree with Brent regarding the pleasur of owning a Leica. My M8 is always with me, and i do not often opay attention to it if not as a great tool I use to take pictures. But sometimes it lays on the table and maybe my eyes drop on it and in those moments, yes, i consider its timeless beauty because of the elegance, the materials, the built. And i think I'm really lucky to have one. I would never look a Big Nikon or Canon that way. And would have some difficulties to admire a Safari M8 with that ridicolous green colour.

But I'm an old fashioned guy, you know.

I'd like to see a gray M whatever in an underwater housing with a 28 Summilux marketed as the special edition Submariner M? It could have the unique mother of pearl dot.

Does anyone know if there is an underwater housing available for the M8 short of the heavy duty vinyl pouch type?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

De gustibus, etc. ... but I can at least give reasons for my tastes in camera finishes: I dislike finishes that clearly indicate that the camera is not intended to be used as a photographic tool -- or even practically preclude it from being thus used.

Blingbling does have its uses. But blingbling made out of precious metals and stones is in a way functional: Its clearly for show. Taking a high-tech, very complicated tool and using it for display only is in my humble opinion completely perverse. It's no less absurd than a gilt-and-lizard binocular microscope with, say, Mozart jubilee engraving.

So, now I have said it. But I have been under fire before, and with lead, noth with words. I'm pretty word-proof.

The old man from the Age of Nickel