Michael Reichmann on the Safari M8.2

TimF

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm I ask myself why dont I like this special cosmetic edition stuff? Surely there is no harm in it if it makes Leica money.

Leaving aside the thoughts that Leica should be concentrating all their efforts in other areas I suppose it is because having chosen Leica I want others to view that as the choice of someone who knows what he is doing, photographically speaking of course. This does not help, it perpetuates the image of the camera as a rich man's toy. Something others can poke fun at, something that I as a Leica user feel obliged to defend. Oh well I suppose that is my problem.

Jeff

Here's the text of the ad. And jaapv, you're right it is the King of Thailand edition:

"This beautiful Leica M6 body was made in 1996. Only 700 were made, and this particular one is #304/700 (as on the certificate). They were made to commemorate the 50th, Golden Jubilee Celebration, of the reign of His Majesty King Bhumiphol Adulyadej of Thailand. The body and special 50mm 2 Summicron lens are 24-carat gold plated. Camera comes BRAND NEW, in wooden collectors box, with Certificate of Authenticity. Would make a great collectors piece! $8000.00 or best offer. "

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hmm I ask myself why dont I like this special cosmetic edition stuff? Surely there is no harm in it if it makes Leica money.

Leaving aside the thoughts that Leica should be concentrating all their efforts in other areas I suppose it is because having chosen Leica I want others to view that as the choice of someone who knows what he is doing, photographically speaking of course. This does not help, it perpetuates the image of the camera as a rich man's toy. Something others can poke fun at, something that I as a Leica user feel obliged to defend. Oh well I suppose that is my problem.

Jeff

Well said. Thank you.

Something others can poke fun at, something that I as a Leica user feel obliged to defend. Oh well I suppose that is my problem.

That would happen if the special editions existed or not. It only takes someone to realise you spent over 10 times what Canon charge for a 50mm f2 lens for the pointing in some quarters to begin.

It only takes someone to realise you spent over 10 times what Canon charge for a 50mm f2 lens for the pointing in some quarters to begin.
True, but very few people I know have the faintest idea how much my camera is worth and those that have an idea, still underestimate it's value, or cost :) , by a large margin. What people do like are the pics - thats all that counts for me. They are convinced I am weird anyway (true I am sure).

Also, to put things into perspective with the Leica stuff I have 'sunk' about 10.000 euro into something I enjoy and can afford. That is a lot better than buying a "posh car" that I could afford but do not want to have. The car would cost me much more in depreciation than the camera ever will.

In a couple of years I will buy a 2nd hand Alfa 166 for 15-20 keuro and that will be fine, might cost me 5 keuro/year to keep on the road. But fist my present 156 has to collapse, which it hasn't done yet. If driving fast car's would be my hobby then everything would be different obviously.

That would happen if the special editions existed or not. It only takes someone to realise you spent over 10 times what Canon charge for a 50mm f2 lens for the pointing in some quarters to begin.

Yes but it can be argued on a photographic basis, in the same way that one can argue for a Canon f1.0 L over the Canon f1.8.

Jeff

I think the bottom-line is that some of us are frankly embarrassed by these special editions. I know I am, and my photographic colleagues and friends take great pleasure in these releases, as they find them utterly absurd, and thereby my enthusiasm for Leica becomes another occasion for (good-natured) ridicule.

I know many people think 'what's the harm?', but in my opinion Leica do themselves a disservice by releasing bijou editions.

I know many people think 'what's the harm?', but in my opinion Leica do themselves a disservice by releasing bijou editions.

Would people get so upset if these special editions cost no more than regular releases but were still limited edition? I don't seem to remember people getting bent out of shape when Voigtlander had blue or green (was there a brown one?) Bessas.

Companies widely use special editions and incremental improvements to sell the same products to consumers multiple times.

It could be argued that M8.2 per se is a limited edition, so what makes the funereal "black paint - black dot edition" any more acceptable than the "green paint - red dot edition"? Taste? :D Availability? :confused: Perception! ;)

btw Box Brownie also available in blue...

Michael Reichmann likes to think of himself as a industry insider critic, except that people no longer take anything......and I do mean ANYTHING, he says seriously.

He has said so many truly stupid things over the years, that he has no credibility.

You only have to look at his Canon G10 vs MFDB review, to know that this guy has serious analytical issues......technology has passed him by!

He should stick to doing workshops with LL groupies :eek:

I think the bottom-line is that some of us are frankly embarrassed by these special editions. I know I am, and my photographic colleagues and friends take great pleasure in these releases, as they find them utterly absurd, and thereby my enthusiasm for Leica becomes another occasion for (good-natured) ridicule.

Quite agree. When Mitch launched an online petition for an alternative to the coding business (a functionally useful option) it was shot down by a few vocal people.

When Leica launches a gilded limited edition camera which is not only ugly but has no added function whatsoever, these vocal defenders appear again.

I would like to point out that these limited edition afficionados are helping Leica dig a bigger hole.

When Leica launches a gilded limited edition camera which is not only ugly but has no added function whatsoever, these vocal defenders appear again.

I would like to point out that these limited edition afficionados are helping Leica dig a bigger hole.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I think the Safari looks cool. So do other people. Is there something wrong with that?

How does this camera help Leica "dig a bigger hole"? I just don't understand this.

If you look at the Safari M8.2 as if it were a new piece of industrial design, you would have to give it high marks. It is in the tradition of instruments, such as binoculars, that are available in subtle shades of green as well as in black.

There are two tragedies associated with this release:

1. Not being able to afford it.

2. Not being able to appreciate it.

While I suffer from only the first, I think that the second is the greater misfortune.