Michael Reichmann on the Safari M8.2

TimF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Under the heading From the Sublime to the Ridiculous today brings a press release from Leica that they have produced a limited edition Leica M8.2 in olive green paint finish and a silver anodized LEICA ELMARIT-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH. lens in a 'Safari' edition.

Let me know when they produce a verison covered in reticulated Ostrich testicles and I just might be interested.

From Luminous Landscape.

Made me smile anyway. :)

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Point taken. True still :rolleyes:

Fact is, there are no buyers for it.

"Oh, sold-out already ? That's a surprise", not !

Amazing how an internet magazine publisher has a strong view on what should be offered to a niche market by a class-leading, high quality camera manufacturer. Sultan of Brunei, solid titanium and RPS editions spring to mind.

Leica has a long history of releasing collectors editions of every camera model before it is superseded. (:eek:).

Rolo

Amazing how an internet magazine publisher has a strong view on what should be offered to a niche market by a class-leading, high quality camera manufacturer. Sultan of Brunei, solid titanium and RPS editions spring to mind.

Leica has a long history of releasing collectors editions of every camera model before it is superseded. (:eek: yes, that can be expected soon).

Rolo

I'm with Michael Reichmann. It is ridiculous. Period.

What type of wheels do you have on your car? Steel utilitarian ones or useless light metal? Leica is in the business of selling cameras. If they can sell one by covering it in diamonds and rubies why not? It would be ridiculous if they would shortsell themselves by refusing to cater to the taste of some of their customers. The days that a Ford was available "in any colour as long as it is black" are long behind us.

Well, I'm with freedom of choice. Can't for a moment understand why one would think it's ridiculous, but that's down to your choice. Maybe you can explain why you think it's inappropriate?

Fact is that for many cameras are a very small cost for something one has a passion for. My brother just sold a BMW that has depreciate £20,000 in 20 months whilst my 3 body Leica kit didn't cost half of that.

Personally, i have only ever bought user cameras, but I have something in mind for a special edition for my retirement:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

:D:D

Frankly, I don't understand the hoohah:

Fraom 1929 to 1931 Leica built 95 Leica Luxus cameras, in coloured Lizard skin and gold-plated, another 180 cameras had special kidskin leather., in 1939 there was a special chrome series of the Leica 250 for the USA, in 1936 there was a special IIIa for the Olympics with a fast shutter, and the story goes on...I think the ugliest Leica ever is the gold and snakeskin R3 from 1979, for Barnack's 100th birthday(1500 pcs), closely followed by the 1000 similar M4-2 cameras from the same year. What's new?

Leica has a long history of releasing collectors editions of every camera model before it is superseded. (:eek: yes, that can be expected soon).

Rolo

Ho ho ho !

Just thought I would remind people of my post that was removed to the customer forum titled "wait for it!....."

Where it generated a bit of fairly ribald comment.

I am told that the tactical version just released is not the main event.

Perhaps then there is to be a replacement.

BTW I would love a clip on silver hood like the one on the lens here to fit my silver 24mm.

Guy

The Safari M8.2 is definitely not the main event.

If it were to be, we may as well all pack up and go home.

There has been chatter off forum about what is coming, but we will just have to wait and see. Seems to me that anyone who really knows, isn't telling (at least publicly). Which is as it should be.

However, there are many here who could make an intelligent guess and not be far wrong, I'd suggest.

Once Leica made the Safari R3, Pentax copied it. Apparently there were Pentax 110 collectors.

From Cameraquest and Linhof:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!