ONE lens : which ?

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 mm summicron, 4th version, Canadian "King of Bokeh". You may be able to get one for under a thousand USD if you are lucky. A very sharp lens with beautiful out of focus areas. You cannot go wrong with it for the price. I use mine 80% of the time with my M8, alot of shots wide open at f2.0, razor sharp!!!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The "King of bokeh" is only king at f/4 and less. Check Michael Johnston's site for references (he coined that term). The boke wide open is touch-n-go. In the big 35mm comparison thread I started a while ago, you could see some of each:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/29964-35-lux-asph-vs-35-cron.html

ditto. The 35mm summicron f2 ASPH, becomes "normal" and great depth of field control for portraits, fast, nice bokeh. And the only one I own!!

Mike Adams at San Jose State University

Congratulations,Mike!

Many boasts about their impressive set of lenses. Takes a great photographer to make pictures like yours and the concentration on photographing, rather than big-bag carrying and gear talking. It's already hard to keep a New Year resolution to only use one lens for a whole year as I do with my Tri. (Mind you, there still is the D700, here too. But also only with one lens: 1.4/28 :) ) Not saying my snaps are in your league. :rolleyes: