ONE lens : which ?

proenca

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi there folks,

Question : if you had to have ONE lens on your M8, which one and why ?

I'm about to take the plug and order a 28mm F2 with the rebate and that will leave me broke for the near future, I already have a 15mm Heliar ( which I use loads and makes me wonder if I shouldnt buy a 21mm 2,8 ASPH instead, but Im a sucker for shallow DOF/Bokeh and I can't have that with the 21mm but I can with the 28mm ) and the 50mm 1,4 PreASPH for portraits.

So for the next year or so I will be in a no lens territory.

If you guys were in the same situation, what lens would you pick ?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you'll get a lot of mileage out of the 28mm Summicron. It's an excellent choice for a one-lens kit - given the range of focal lengths you mention. It will be a good compromise of wide and long enough, and will work well as an in-betweener for the 15mm and 50mm lenses.

To top the suggestion off, it's a great lens - it renders and handles beautifully.

-J.

28mm f2 ....

Bought a used one when I bought the M8, but 'had' to buy more, like 50mm Elmar, 35/f1.4 Nokton, 21/F4 Color Skopar, 35/3.5 Summaron.

I thought I would use the 35/1.4 most, and I felt I needed the 21mm 'Wide' - but the 28 is wide enough, and fast enough, to be my favourite pretty much all the time. I still look for excuses to use the other lenses, as not to have to admit I wasted the money :rolleyes:

I own a 35mm Summilux F/1.4 ASPH, 50mm Summilux F/1.4 ASPH and a 75mm Summicron F/2.0 ASPH.

By far, the 35mm 'lux is my favorite all purpose lens. It is razor sharp, great in low light, pulls in a large focal area when I need it and works superbly for close up shots. The bokeh -- when I want it, is superb. Really spectacular for low light street shooting as well. If I could only own one lens it would be my 35MM 'lux.

Max Bowers

Good question but so much related to what you shoot...

For me (mainly street photography) the one and only would be a 35mm Cron, maybe a 28mm Cron.

IMO, on the M8, the avantages of 35mm Cron over 28mm Cron

- can be used as portrait lens with less distortion.

- good balance of getting close but not invading your subject private zone.

- much easier to throw background out of focus.

- smaller and lighter.

- cheaper

- proportion and distortion are the ones of a 35mm but in a 50mm frame. Unless you like the 28mm look, it is more balanced.

On the 28mm side :

- more versatility when composing (subject + background).

- good focal to do both landscape + street photography. Great for travel.

- framelines are the easiest to use on M8, no confusion with other frames.