135mm Lens on M8?

Peter Lea

Advertisement (gone after registration)

street, welcome to the forum!

Is yours the earlier version with the sculpted focusing ring, or the later one with simpler pattern?

I know the second version is excellent, and I'd have thought the first would be pretty good.

Have you thought about having Leica look at it? Sounds as if it's not performing as well as it should. :(

These Mandler designs were superb; the final version was identical to the R 135/2.8, which is also highly respected.

Eidt:

Oops. I see the Forum's Wiki lists three versions, not two:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/135mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M_I

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/135mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M_II

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/135mm_f/2.8_Elmarit-M_III

Edited by ho_co

Elmarit 135 mm is not the lens I use the most on my m8, but it is very usable. It is somewhat bulky, but less so than other 180 mm I used in the old times. And yes focussing is somewhat more difficult than on a AF SLR, but the google helps and the results can be rewarding.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I got a Tele-Elmar last year and it's quite good. Recently though, I found a late model Elmarit for a good price and have been surprised at how sharp it is. It's big and heavy though and the biggest negative is that it requires removing the grip to mount it. It's fairly easy to focus though.

I have both, one Tele-Elmarit (last run) and one Tele-Elmar (1965). I use both, last week-emd was the Tele-Elmar the star performer on the Montmelò Circuit:

http://flickr.com/gp/delfi_r/oLEp74

http://flickr.com/gp/delfi_r/n8y250

http://flickr.com/gp/delfi_r/KM87oa

L9772505 Espiritu de Montjuic. Gentelmen Drivers Pre-66 GTS | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

If you use it well gives sharp images and with fine detail (see the grass) even in the corners (with the M8, perhaps it's not as good in the outer areas with the M9.

Most of the problemas with the 135 is the camera shaking with long and heavy lens. Perhaps this is the reason of better results with the Tele-Elmar, it's lighter. With regular use both have good results.

A lens often overlooked in this focal length is the 135 Elmar. I bought a very clean version from early 1960s for occasional use. I do not pretend it competes with its younger variants, but for around 150 Euros it is one of the bargain Leica lenses available. Most have seen little use. Indeed, most current Apo versions are probably only used for a fraction of the time compared with shorter telephotos or standard lenses. That factor should be remembered when investing in an expensive lens. How often will you use it?

Here is a picture taken with my old Elmar last year from my hotel window, a viewpoint unique and not easily replicated with a shorter lens. Compared with my Lightroom version, compression for posting does dilute some of the clarity.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Enrico--

I love the lady with the cell phone!

Must be staged, right? It's gorgeous, but I don't see how you could capture that with a 135 unless you're either very tall or very prepared, shall we say?

The construction shot is also dynamite--the colors really set it off! Funny that both shots are so dynamic, in the sense that something seems just about to happen.

Nice work!

Edited by ho_co

Enrico--

I love the lady with the cell phone!

Must be staged, right? It's gorgeous, but I don't see how you could capture that with a 135 unless you're either very tall or very prepared, shall we say?

The construction shot is also dynamite--the colors really set it off! Funny that both shots are so dynamic, in the sense that something seems just about to happen.

Nice work!

Howard, both the pictures were taken from my former office (first floor). I spotted the girl talking at the phone, got the camera and shot. It came out quite a mystery picture :)

By the way, she's close to the curb behind which is the building yard where I shot that orange jaws in the other picture. Same window. This lens is a great performer.

It happens sometimes that i take a walk in town with just the 135 on my M8 and try to grab pictures like these.

Edited by epand56

Very nice images, I'm sure, but please use the photoforums to show your images. The connection to a technical thread is getting a bit tenuous here.... I'll happily create a 135 mm lens showcase thread in the photoforums.

It is a thin edge. Note I did not move any images. But the threads here must be accessible by phone or dial-up line as well. Illustrative images are fine within reason, showcase images should be in the photoforum.

• Like 1

The 135 APO Telyt is a very fine lens.

The restrictions regarding including photos in only specific sections, making a user jump hoops between threads and links is ridiculous and outdated in my opinion.

The LUF forum is one of the slowest to connect to in any case from the photography related internet boards, I use, which makes restrictions on posting photos even more meaningless to me.

Users, who post large files without thinking are one side of the issue, users, who deliberately downsize JPGs to 800px most and file sizes of 250kb max for web use is another side.

The reason, why I post less and less photos on LUF is exactly this restriction and the strict interference of moderators, moving threads.

To me unfortunately, LUF remains a strictly tech talk forum because of this very reason.

If I seek any kind of input on my photographs on a internet forum or simply enjoy to share something of my work, I go elsewhere, which is a pity, as the LUF has a stock of many very experienced photographers, whose opinions and tips are very valuable for me.

So - this had to get out at some point, now I get back to topic:

The 135 APO Telyt is a very fine lens.

I especially like it on the M8.2 for motor sports.

I won't post any pictures anymore, as they likely won't show up here.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So is the 135mm f4 Hektor an unloved stepchild? There's two of them sitting at the local camera store for $100 each. I was thinking of grabbing one just to have a 135mm to play around with, but everyone seems to avoid them like the plague. Are they really bad?

The Hektor is not "really bad". The lens design came from the early thirties, so you cannot expect modern standards. 135mm was much more popular as an alternative to 50mm when there were not many wide angles. It was also essential for sports and nature photography in the pre-SLR times. So there are many Hektor's around, often in not very good condition which explains the low prices (same for the 4/90mm Elmar).

• Like 1

Due to the natural (non-synthetic) Canada balsam used to bond the elements together, any Hektor is likely to have some degree of separation or fungus deterioration. I would class them as a "collector" rather than a "user" lens. To get one back to its original state, which in comparison with more modern 135 lenses, will be moderate in performance terms, would cost as much as buying a Tele-Elmar 135 in good condition. They are plentiful, cheap and have performance that is an order of magnitude better than a Hektor.

Early Leica tele lenses were not the greatest in the world. It may be heresy to say so but IMHO, other than the 50mm and 105mm (Mountain) Elmar, Leica did not make many great lenses until the mid 1950's, after which they started to lead the world in lens design, especially for mid range lenses. My 400 and 560 Telyt's, whilst fun to use, are pretty dire and will be massively out performed by the cheapest modern zoom lens.

Wilson

Due to the natural (non-synthetic) Canada balsam used to bond the elements together, any Hektor is likely to have some degree of separation or fungus deterioration.

I thought Wetzlar was in Germany and they didn't move production to Canada until the 1970s? Or is Canada balsam just a term for some kind of glue? What does the balsam do?