Let's talk bags for the M8

Guest guy_mancuso

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the point in having along a lens that you can't employ reasonably quickly? Of course I fall into the use-em camp of Leica owners - just put a new scratch on my M7 baseplate yesterday!

Now, I will concede that I try to select bags that have good, but not excessive, built-in padding, and if you want a little more protection, try wrapping them in microfibre cloths.

Eric

Check out the Domke F-803. I've been using one for several years with an M6. I've carried two M6 with a 35 and 50 mounted, and an SF-20. Or one M6 with lens mounted, two extra lenses and the SF-24. Either setup has room to spare for things like film and a little notepad. I plan on using the same setup for an M8.

Another more expensive option is the Fogg b-laika. This bag used to be called the Celia. Super nice, super expensive. The M bodies fit it perfectly. The Domke was my low cost approach.

Both of these bags suit a style of shooting for carrying the least amount of equipment into the field. More of a minimilist approach. Also, neither of these bags is super padded (enough to safely work from, but I wouldn't drop 'em from the top of a ladder) or super waterproof. They are light, small, and inconspicous with easy access.

That would definitely be the Fogg B-Laika!

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Here's the one I found - a bit small for carrying a bunch of film, but great for an interchangeable-lens digital if the lenses are small.

Back pocket (love those for plane tickets and paperbacks while enroute), front pocket, about 6 small card-case, battery, or cellphone sized pockets, zippable weatherproof inner liner that rolls back and straps up like a tent flap, nice olivedrab cotton material with bronze fittings.

And the snap closures on the main flap are mounted on loops, so I can actually get my finger behind them to apply pressure from both side to snap 'em closed.

One can always tear out the NG embroidery if it offends.

Almost meets the magic bag spec of being bigger inside than it is outside.

Guest guy_mancuso

I'm afraid I may have outgrown the Artisian bag i ordered before I even get it. Too many lenses now, 7 total but 6 in the bag. I am hoping the the V/C 15mm is really small than i can stack one above it

I'm afraid I may have outgrown the Artisian bag i ordered before I even get it. Too many lenses now, 7 total but 6 in the bag. I am hoping the the V/C 15mm is really small than i can stack one above it

Guy, something that hasn't been mentioned is a touring bag for the kind of climates (Hot) that you and I live in. I find that in the hot weather, I don't care for any bags hanging off my shoulder or around my neck and have gone for waist/belt packs. For the Leica RF system these can be quite small. I don't tend to be caught with all my gear at any one time anyway.

Bob

Here's my favorite for M equipment; the Lowepro Omni Sport.

Only 11x8x6 inches, holds up to 5 lenses and a camera with lens, a few misc. items as well, can be used around the waist or over one's shoulder.

Works great for me.

Jerry

Looking at all my bags and equipment from two systems, Nikon and Leica, both film and digital, plus a few P&S's, I realized that I don't need a new bag. I need two shallow chests, in which I can put the lenses and bodies and other equipment. The idea would be to have them instantly available so that when you're going out the door, you can pick an appropriate bag, and then go over to the chest(s) and fill up with whatever you need. So if you're going out to shoot the farmer's market, you can pick up the small Domke and stick two lenses in it; if you're driving to the other side of the next state, you can load the chests into the back of the truck and take off. The problem with most bags is that they're made to be carried; I need something that's made to sit somewhere, or maybe, to be staggered with -- you know, just portable enough to be moved when you have to. Something like a very shallow suitcase might do it...

JC

Anyone have this bag:

http://www.mclassics.com/homepage.html

Looking at all my bags and equipment from two systems, Nikon and Leica, both film and digital, plus a few P&S's, I realized that I don't need a new bag. I need two shallow chests, in which I can put the lenses and bodies and other equipment. The idea would be to have them instantly available so that when you're going out the door, you can pick an appropriate bag, and then go over to the chest(s) and fill up with whatever you need. So if you're going out to shoot the farmer's market, you can pick up the small Domke and stick two lenses in it; if you're driving to the other side of the next state, you can load the chests into the back of the truck and take off. The problem with most bags is that they're made to be carried; I need something that's made to sit somewhere, or maybe, to be staggered with -- you know, just portable enough to be moved when you have to. Something like a very shallow suitcase might do it...

JC

You might look into Pelican cases, specifically the 1520 with lid organizer. I have attached a couple of photos and it works out very well for me. Also, attached an image of my L2 Alice loaded out.

Correction: I have the 1510. It has rollers and a extendable handle and is small enough for carry-on aircraft size.

Yes, I have owned it and carried it every day for the last couple of years although I just upgraded to a beautiful Fogg Bag for the M8, when it shows up. I have liked this bag a lot for carrying my Epson R-D1 but finally decided I wanted something a little larger and with more padding for the M8.. I think the suspended camera pocket is a great feature of this bag. Are you looking to buy a used copy of this bag? ;-) There is some wear on my bag but it has held up surprisingly well.

Regards,

Larry

Now here's a topic I can sink my teeth into.

-------

Billingham? Of course. One Alice and one Airline Stow-Away. The Airline Stow-Away is perfect for M/Elmar combo, and is elegant. The Alice I use as my bigger kit bag when the B-Laika won't carry it. Think 3 lenses, and maybe another accessory.

--------

My favorite of all, though, is my air bag. That is, no bag at all. Leave the camera hang out there for the next picture.

Eric

Me, I'm a Billingham man too. But I also agree with the 'air bag' sentiment. Now here's a

new/old idea:

Anyone ever saw the old Benser baseplate? It was an M3/M2 baseplate -- no M4 model

came -- with two camera bayonets, one at each end. Just like the current lens holder, except that it held two lenses -- in theory. In fact, you used it for carrying one extra lens, but two bayonets meant that there was no need to juggle two detached lenses at the same time. It was a beauty, and many pros liked it. Leica should make one, especially now that taking the thing off won't lead to disasters with fogged film! Are you listening?

However, in practice I often carry my M4-P in one of these little semi-triangular cases with space for one body with short lens and one lens in a bottom compartment, or just one

longer lens if you fold away the divider. Mine is a Rowi Globetrotter, which I have used on

many a long hike above the tree-line in Swedish Lapland. Goes well with a large long-distance backpack.

The old fool from the days of flashpowder

Here's the one I found - a bit small for carrying a bunch of film, but great for an interchangeable-lens digital if the lenses are small.

Back pocket (love those for plane tickets and paperbacks while enroute), front pocket, about 6 small card-case, battery, or cellphone sized pockets, zippable weatherproof inner liner that rolls back and straps up like a tent flap, nice olivedrab cotton material with bronze fittings.

And the snap closures on the main flap are mounted on loops, so I can actually get my finger behind them to apply pressure from both side to snap 'em closed.

One can always tear out the NG embroidery if it offends.

Almost meets the magic bag spec of being bigger inside than it is outside.

I have one of these and I like it! The smallest one holds a camera with lens in the down position. It works the way it was designed to work. Too small for multiple lenses though.