Ultrawide for D-Lux 4

NZDavid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read somewhere that you can buy an accessory 18mm lens and adapter for the D-Lux 4 and its Panasonic cousin. Does anyone have any more details, or has anyone tried it? How would quality compare with Ricoh GR-D and accessory 21 lens? I particularly can't stand barrel distortion? Flash coverage? (I own the GR-D and 21. I find distortion low, but slighter softer than 28 prime, and overall results are softer than Leica M film cameras, though it is a useful compact.) How would D-Lux 4 with 18mm stack up against M8 with ultra wideangle? Many thanks.

Check a Panasonic web site or a Panasonic dealer.

You need a DMW-LA4 "Conversion lens adapter" plus a DMW-LW46 "Wide conversion lens."

On the Panasonic DMC-LX3 (but not on the D-Lux 4) there is a menu item to tell the camera that you're using the conversion lens. Setting it inactivates the built-in flash (don't know about external flash) and locks the lens to its widest. (It may do more than that, but those items are specifically mentioned in the LX3 instructions.)

The lens is surprisingly light-weight though a little bulky, as you'd expect.

I haven't seen any results from the combination. The Panasonic wide-angle conversion lens for the Digilux 2 had a good reputation for image quality. Its downside was that it was apparently quite a bit bigger and heavier than the one for the D-Lux 4.

Add-on conversion lenses like this are always a compromise, but I imagine the lens would give pretty decent results.

Guest user47901
Check a Panasonic web site or a Panasonic dealer.

You need a DMW-LA4 "Conversion lens adapter" plus a DMW-LW46 "Wide conversion lens."

On the Panasonic DMC-LX3 (but not on the D-Lux 4) there is a menu item to tell the camera that you're using the conversion lens. Setting it inactivates the built-in flash (don't know about external flash) and locks the lens to its widest. (It may do more than that, but those items are specifically mentioned in the LX3 instructions.)

The lens is surprisingly light-weight though a little bulky, as you'd expect.

I haven't seen any results from the combination. The Panasonic wide-angle conversion lens for the Digilux 2 had a good reputation for image quality. Its downside was that it was apparently quite a bit bigger and heavier than the one for the D-Lux 4.

Add-on conversion lenses like this are always a compromise, but I imagine the lens would give pretty decent results.

As for a tele lens for the D-lux 4, what would I need here instead? Thanks

Thanks Howard, I'll check it out. Size is not such a concern, just image quality. So no 18mm for D-Lux-4? Strange Leica D-Lux 4 and Panasonic DMC-LX3 should vary. Maybe they are different cameras after all...

No, no, I didn't express myself clearly. The LFI article introducing the D-Lux 4 mentioned the availability of the wide conversion lens. I haven't tried it, but I see no reason not to use it if you're interested.

As for a tele lens for the D-lux 4, what would I need here instead? Thanks

AFAIK, there's none available for it.

The same LFI article mentioned above pointed out that the lack of a tele conversion lens seems particularly strange since the camera has a long end of only 60 mm equivalent.

The magazine went on to say Panasonic's response to the question was that purchasers tended to want accessories to extend the range the camera already emphasizes: People who buy a megazoom camera often purchase also a tele attachment, people who buy a camera which features a wide angle often purchase a wider conversion lens.

Upshot: According to that LFI article, Panasonic has no plans for a tele attachment.

Just a possibility: Canon offers quite a few conversion lenses for their camera range. Maybe one or another of them, plus an adapter ring (if necessary) to fit it to the 46 mm thread of the DMW-LA4, would work.

If you try it, keep us posted!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Same here, David. That's why I bought the D-Lux 4, and why I've got the wide conversion lens on order. :)

Hmm. If they did offer a tele conversion lens, though, I might try it as well. I mean just so I could put this tiny little camera into a big, big box. :rolleyes:

Yes, I think it would make sense to offer more accessory lenses for a compact body (like a downscaled M8). I hope you are having good results from the D-Lux 4 and would be intrigued to hear how you find the W/A conversion lens.

Cheers,

David

David Killick, Freelance Journalist and Photographer, New Zealand

• 3 months later...
No, no, I didn't express myself clearly. The LFI article introducing the D-Lux 4 mentioned the availability of the wide conversion lens. I haven't tried it, but I see no reason not to use it if you're interested.

AFAIK, there's none available for it.

The same LFI article mentioned above pointed out that the lack of a tele conversion lens seems particularly strange since the camera has a long end of only 60 mm equivalent.

The magazine went on to say Panasonic's response to the question was that purchasers tended to want accessories to extend the range the camera already emphasizes: People who buy a megazoom camera often purchase also a tele attachment, people who buy a camera which features a wide angle often purchase a wider conversion lens.

Upshot: According to that LFI article, Panasonic has no plans for a tele attachment.

Just a possibility: Canon offers quite a few conversion lenses for their camera range. Maybe one or another of them, plus an adapter ring (if necessary) to fit it to the 46 mm thread of the DMW-LA4, would work.

If you try it, keep us posted!

So, as you all may have seen in other postings on here, there are several ebay stores that sell tele conversion lenses, pandabase and another no name company supposedly out of japan. I bought one of the wide angle conversion lenses and there is definitely lens quality degredation, but its not horrendous and the lenses are only about 20 or 30 bucks. hope this helps yall, also, i found some old minolta lenses that fit over to the 55mm converter sold on ebay, so maybe that can help. good luck yall and keep me posted

If you wish to see the effect of these (albeit not on a D Lux) then try here Lensmateonline - Canon PowerShot G9/G7 Wide Angle Samples

Not only do you see the effect but Lensmate also make a clear comparison between some of the better manufacturers. My experience with a Canon G9 was that the Canon models were far superior to others in terms of resolution and picture quality. However, do note that they all diminish the quality of the pic somewhat either by softening or by distortion or both!

Some of the best are made by Raynox - especially their HD models with superior resolution. However, you pay for the benefit as you do with other things in life.