Two Thousand Years Old Bridge.

Gift

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This is my first pic on the forum, so hope you like it...

I live in a beautifull little town that long ago was the second city of the Roman Empire.

This bridge was built to take watter to the city (acueducte) crossing a valley between two little mountains. It's dated on the first century, and still stands up very beautifull.

It's a five minutes driving from downtown, hope you like it.

M8 - summarit 50

[ATTACH]124273[/ATTACH]

Welcome to the club! Indeed a very fine subject to play with photographically.

Marco

ps: Andreas ... a bit sour perhaps, but WE are building the biggest heaps of waste and they sure will find evidence in 2000 years

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome! Different angle from the norm.

I walked across this some while back; is that still possible or has H&S taken over in France too?

Very surprising that the TGV route was built so close to this wonderful structure.

Look forward to seeing more from you.

this is a great view, with very nice warm tones.......only a small thing but I find the building slightly distracting otherwise it gives a great impression of this structure and the leading line gives the impression that the structure is almost burrowing into the valley side opposite.

Hi Pete,

That picture is a fake! i.e it could not possibly be taken from the alleged location (Théziers), owing to the orientation of the long axis of the bridge which is roughly 20° north-west . Thus to take that picture would require the photographer to be more or less at right angle (give or take 20°) to the long axis of the bridge.

I think not.

Even though, the Michelin guide states that from the 9th century on it was pillaged for construction purposes, the very size of the stones as well as their position in space would discourage and prohibit their usage by ill-equipped private citizens.

The bridge itself is so incredibly huge that it should have discouraged every single idiot from destroying it.

Granted,

Gee that went to fast!

Let's resume.

Granted, under the impetus of the likes of Mérimée and Viollet-Leduc, many architectural sites have been restored, but I would be hard-pressed to suggest that Pont du Gard was as well.

By the way, I am no roman historian and furthermore there are no roman buildings where I live in the so-called New World which is no younger than the so-colled Old World.

Thus do feel free to criticize my mumblings.