Safari M8.2

Overgaard

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Didn't Voigtlander make a 'safari' version of one of their rangefinders? They were just copying the previous Leica safari cameras, it's not a new idea, and not silly.

I guess though in actual use, if one were really on safari, it's not going to make any difference at all to using a standard camera, but that also goes for people who tape over their red dots and what have you.

You took the words right out of my mouth!

No one laughed at Voigtlander for the olive Bessa. They bought it if they liked it, ignored it if they didn't. No big deal.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So far we got four variations (not counting M8.2 vs M8). Any more? Options are good.

1) M8 black

2) M8 silver

3) M8 Panda

4) M8 Safari

If I were to buy a M8 today, it would be either Panda or Safari. Panda looks more reasonable economically, but Safari stands out more (or is it less?).

The set? I find it a strange juxtaposition. A few of us, with Mike (Michali) in the forefront, yours truly and one or two others have used the camera in wildlife photography, but rarely with this lens. I would call it 98% unsuitable. Now if they had built one with a 35-50-90-135 viewfinder with a "Safari" 135 Apo, and (wistfully) a goggled 180.... There has been talk of such a lens, in the 1960-ies:rolleyes: I would buy into that.:)

I've just seen this thread. I fully agree with Jaap. Yes from time to time, very rarely, I've used wide lenses in wildlife photography but I certainly wouldn't go out and buy a camera, (even if I really wanted a green camera) with a 28mm attached for use in wildlife photography.

Putting aside opinions on the colour of the camera, (I'm undecided), why not offer the body only for those of us who want to be camouflaged on safari, and then let us attach whatever lens we deem fit for wildlife photography? Instead it appears from the advert that one is obliged to buy this "packaged" camera (if you really want a green M8.2), with a 28mm lens attached.

I think it's a case of the marketing & sales department having absolutely no idea of what photographic kit one requires on safari. Very strange!