Safari M8.2

Overgaard

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a waste of good resources...
To the contary. It is excellent marketing as it requires relatively little effort to crank out this series (except possibly the lens). Similar to the "panda" and "anti-panda" versions you make it more desirable for a certain subset of your customers. The M8 is unique, these versions are more so.

Desire => extra turnover

Additional options for Leica: M8 + lens combi "signature series", aniversary of something - but they know that stuff

Gibson does exactly the same with their guitars, does that make the standard versions less excellent or desirable? Are we all laughing at Gibson? Unlike Gibson that charges scandalous markups, Leica is keeping the price competitive with the standard versions.

Didn't Voigtlander make a 'safari' version of one of their rangefinders? They were just copying the previous Leica safari cameras, it's not a new idea, and not silly.

I guess though in actual use, if one were really on safari, it's not going to make any difference at all to using a standard camera, but that also goes for people who tape over their red dots and what have you.

...Gibson does exactly the same with their guitars, does that make the standard versions less excellent or desirable? Are we all laughing at Gibson?....

Stephen - Which would be fair comment if indeed Leica were excellent and desirable for a large sector of the camera buying public, especially professional photographers. But they aren't. It would also be fair comment if Leica didn't have better things to do for representing themselves as a serious concern; like radically modernising their customer support and service, quality control, and invigorating some of their anachronistic legacy designs in the 'M'. Special edition cameras are a nonsense for people with more money and sense; about as special as a signed, syrupy, limited edition painted teddy bear.

For me, this silly camera and it's handbag are worrying signs, and probably the opposite signs that Leica Marketing had in mind. I'm sure we all want Leica to succeed, though we air differences in these forums about what that means. I don't want the then-struggling company I bought into with my M8 to represent itself as twee and flimflam and appealing to people with more money than sense when there are serious issues to be attended to.

.............. Chris

To the contary. It is excellent marketing as it requires relatively little effort to crank out this series (except possibly the lens).

Indeed. Though perhaps matching the green finish on the body to the colour of the bag, and the leather strap to the fittings on same might have been slightly more taxing than making the lens in a different colour.

If it brings in some cash to Leica, then everybody's happy.

I guess though in actual use, if one were really on safari, it's not going to make any difference at all to using a standard camera, but that also goes for people who tape over their red dots and what have you.

I'm guilty of taping over my logos (and not just on my Leicas). I doubt it makes my photos any better but it costs me maybe a penny (or less) in tape, not 5900 pounds! This one's strictly for the collectors.

Hell's teeth, is this a sign of Leica wistfully regretting falling out of love with those wretched Parisian handbag makers?

A limited edition pile of poo; it's not the kind of prioritising I would have wished for.

Please Leica; stop making it easy for people to laugh at you.

.............. Chris

Ha- the Hermes link. It was to be expected, it is a commonly held perception. Leica has always been building special editions, the first being in the 1920-ies, 80 lizard-skin and gold plate Leica 1 cameras and 100 snakeskin and gold ones.

Since then they have been seen with some regulariry. The phletora of special models in the 1980-ies and 90-ies was basically not instigated by the factory -or Hermes. There were a few factory specials, a titanium set, a M6J and a 75 Jahre Leica, but that is about it.

All others like the M6G, the Rooster, the Colombo, the M6Elmar, the LHSA, etc, were special orders from importers and organisations. And the Panda? That was just a mix-up in the parts bin.... So there is nothing new here.

The set? I find it a strange juxtaposition. A few of us, with Mike (Michali) in the forefront, yours truly and one or two others have used the camera in wildlife photography, but rarely with this lens. I would call it 98% unsuitable. Now if they had built one with a 35-50-90-135 viewfinder with a "Safari" 135 Apo, and (wistfully) a goggled 180.... There has been talk of such a lens, in the 1960-ies:rolleyes: I would buy into that.:)

Didn't Voigtlander make a 'safari' version of one of their rangefinders? They were just copying the previous Leica safari cameras, it's not a new idea, and not silly.

I would not call this a set to actually go on safari with. It lacks the 135, the Visoflex and a 400 mm lens. That was already a problem with the R3 Safari, which only had a 50 and a 135 lens. This is even more useless. I would have advised Leica to go for another theme.

I think it looks great, I'd buy it if I could afford it.

Where does one buy safari suits and pith helmets these days?

In India I'm fairly sure. Or maybe at British India outlets at 6 times the price :-|