MATE?

MEB

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm sorry if this question seems silly...I am very new to Leica ownership and use. I keep seeing the word "MATE" and I have no idea what it means. Can someone please explain.

Thank you,

Mark (East Lansing, Michigan)

Guest bwcolor

Mark, I fully understand your confusion about the Leica alphabet soup. The afficianados on this site are sometimes like a cabal mumbling their secret code of "insider knowledge".

But if you become really involved with Leica, and develop an interest in the older equipment (some of which is quite important today because it is out of production but can be used with the current M cameras, including M8), you will find that Leica used an alphabetic code to identify their accessories. And these codes have become a sort of language among Leica-philes (and Leica-phobes, too).

Mark, I fully understand your confusion about the Leica alphabet soup. The afficianados on this site are sometimes like a cabal mumbling their secret code of "insider knowledge".

But if you become really involved with Leica, and develop an interest in the older equipment (some of which is quite important today because it is out of production but can be used with the current M cameras, including M8), you will find that Leica used an alphabetic code to identify their accessories. And these codes have become a sort of language among Leica-philes (and Leica-phobes, too).

AFAIK WATE & MATE are not Leica codes - simply ways of differentiating the two Tri-Elmars that evolved on this forum after the release of the WATE. But then again WTFDIK?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you for the explanation. I feel much better now that I know the secret code.

Mark

Mark,

It is indeed a secret code! We hope that we can trust you, so don't give this code away to - hum - people (if you can call them that) that are not Leica owners. On your way you might meet, say, a simple fellow, with his - hum - Nikon, or Panasony or whatever; let him live in the dark about what a WATE or MATE really is. Power is all about language and codes, I am sure you agree. If he want to know he better be so damned good as to buy the stuff!

OK?

I have had security clearances twice in my adult life from the Federal government. I hope that is sufficiently high to get me past the initiation process here. Plus, I own an M8!

Thanks again,

Mark