NJ M8 Service is a joke.

Shootist

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If your warranty is w/ NJ Camera , it may be a gray market camera, demo or a rebuilt . That is not to say it will not be a good camera. Different users experience different problems , and some not at all. I don't think it is a matter of luck, more so some of us are just unlucky.

Mine had a small glitch , NJ made it worse.

Sending camera to NJ when out of warranty is possible - you will just be charged for service. Sending camera to Germany may very well make it subject to duty fees , possibly both ways. Depending upon repair required (once out of warranty) you might consider other sources. Fellow forum members I'm sure will be able make suggestions.

enjoy your camera

The camera was a replacement for a faulty body that could not be repaired. I was given all the receipts and warranty card and everything. I am enjoying this camera like no other I have ever owned, except perhaps my first Minolta that my dad gave me when I was 15. That was a dream to shoot with his SLR when i was so young.

Thanks everyone. I love this site.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't take any comments on this thread too seriously... It is mainly for the Leica Flagellation crowd...

Enjoy your M8 like many of us do ;)

Sorry I am not, or I should say I wasn't a Leica flagellator (there is no other camera I like using more then a leica M and M lenses), but these problems I've had with all four of my M8's and especially with Lieca USA service is just over the top.

........ Be nice on the phone, and treat them with respect and things will get done..........

Although quoted in a Leica NJ thread, there is some very universal truth in this statement.

In the Western world we tend to forget this and blow our top and be rude far too soon. That fits into our "Complaining Society", but that does not mean it works.

There are continents, I think of South America and Asia, where, I am sure, it does not work. Being polite and smile always works there!

Forgive me about this diatribe, but I have travelled at lot all over and have experienced to my chagrin more than once that being

angry and rude just results in oneself looking ridiculous! Surprise: on the web it ain't different!

Not saying that Shootist's problems are not over the top: they are!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, my 35mm Lux came back from the 2nd focus adjust service. Like the last time, it came back earlier than the reported date. Nice job!

I need to test my lens thoroughly later as it is too late to do so right now. Hope it works this time. The invoice states that the lens has been set to factory tolerance, which I requested in the letter.

They enclosed a hard copy of this web page. I am not sure what their intention is but it is an interesting read. Perhaps, Leica USA is telling "suck up and deal with the problem".

Spherical aberration

Even if it still shows the focus problem on my M8, I would try it on my M6. If it shows the same problem on the M6, I should sell it and get a 35mm Cron or a CV35mm.

I have never try the 35mm Lux on my film camera. I it works on my film camera, I will keep it. If it does not, I will sell it and get a CV35mm.. Hope the latter is not the case.

Leica USA still have my 75mm F2.5. Its aperture ring came loose the other night. It started sliding on the lens body back and forth. geeeeee~

m

Reference my above post, I e-mailed Germany. Germany e-mailed New Jersey. I had a call from New Jersey the next morning. From that point on the folks at New Jersey were very helpful and I had my lenses in less than a week.

All is forgiven. :D

My lens came back in three weeks. Not a big deal... I just did a quick test at the minimum focus distance. The focus is spot on at F1.4 but then as I stop down, the focus shifts like crazy.

m

My lens came back in three weeks. Not a big deal... I just did a quick test at the minimum focus distance. The focus is spot on at F1.4 but then as I stop down, the focus shifts like crazy.

m

I am sorry to hear this. There are a few of us on this forum, who have near perfect 35 ASPH Summiluxes. Mine is set up with a touch of front focus at f1.4 and 2 meters, so that the focus fields are split about 50/50 rather than the classical 33 behind and 66 in front. There is a very small amount of aperture shift but only to the extent that the focus fields change to 33 behind and 66 in front. I posted test shots in an earlier thread to prove my point. Like many of the good ones it is chrome/brass not black/aluminium with the attendant downside of a considerable increase in the already high weight. I cannot understand why Leica can only make the occasional near perfect one, unless the ideal set up requires smaller tolerances than it is possible to adjust to. It casts some doubt on the reasoning in the article that Leica quoted and the earlier article in LFI magazine.

Wilson

I just got my 35 lux asph back from DAG for coding. I asked him about adjusting the focus but he says there's not much he can do about the shift. The lens is perfect wide open, which I actually hate to sacrifice as it's often my go to lens when I need f/1.4. It's also my go to lens for the M7.

I think the real question is what percentage of all the M8s sold have a quality issue. That is what I'd like to know. For those who had no problem with their M8, the bad service level of Leica in New Jersey is irrelevant. Like I used to have many Canon products in the past, but had no problem with their bad customer service as never needed to deal with them.

Right now I am waiting for my third M8 from the retailer as I make sure that I test it out well before registering it, so I can send it back to the retailer, thus did not need to deal with NJ.

It would be worth to start a poll among all the M8 owners to see what the the error ratio.

I think the real question is what percentage of all the M8s sold have a quality issue. That is what I'd like to know.

That horse has been flogged to death on this forum many times. You are just inviting the whiners to whine again

would be worth to start a poll among all the M8 owners to see what the the error ratio.

Same horse. Those users on this forum that answer would hardly constitute a statistically valid sample. Lies, damn lies and statistics: Mark Twain

I sent my chrome M8 in last Monday for a repair/replacement of the sensor because of a line in the images.

I asked IF they could not save the cover that was on the camera when I sent it in, which was Camera Leather's black GripTac that I had installed, to put the new style covering on at no charge or not to bother putting any cover on it. As I would just replace the original style covering that came on the M8 with something else. We all know the original covering it the worst.

Since they have to take the cover off to disassemble the camera to work on it and then replace the cover I figured they could just as easy put the new cover on it.

I get a email from Sarah Mayville saying I need to use a mastercard or visa to pay for the new style covering. $330.00

No way in hell will I pay this outrageous price for any covering. I have a CL Black Beauty leather covering that cost a little more then $50.

You would figure that after sending in for repair 2 different M8's a total of NINE times in less then 2 years that they could at least install the new covering at NO charge.

I am just about fed up with Leica, Leica service and the lack of quality in all of there products.

Sorry you have had such bad luck. In my case I have had nothing but top notch repair work from Leica NJ over the years. My latest encounter is sending in my R8 and DMR for a shutter jamming problem. It is now complete after being there 3 weeks and the repair was at no charge to me. My M8 went in for a minor problem and was returned after a couple of weeks and it has been perfect ever since.

Cheers,

Gene

That horse has been flogged to death on this forum many times. You are just inviting the whiners to whine again

Same horse. Those users on this forum that answer would hardly constitute a statistically valid sample. Lies, damn lies and statistics: Mark Twain

No whining here, not a single quality issue with my M8, R8/DMR, R4Sp, SL, M6TTL, M4-P and a fair selection of lenses. Quality is one of the big issues of my switching from Nikon to Leica. I have used Canons (EOS1 and 1D) and will never buy one, outside of the 20D I bought to use with my R lenses - A Huge mistake, and now that I have the DMR, the 20D goes out the door.

Gene

You are just inviting the whiners to whine again

I have to say I'm tired of hearing you whining on and on and on about whiners.

Stop whining for goodness sake!

PS: Seriously - if calling anyone who doesn't 100% agree with your point-of-view a 'whiner' is actually the best you can do (I've seen you do it twice in a couple of threads just in the last couple of hours!) then I guess we have to get used to this pathetic level of debate again. I actually felt the forum has been better recently - but that puerile name-calling is so childish, it seriously makes me despair.

Anyway, should find time to go pick-up the M8 back from repair tomorrow. Hope I have nothing to 'whine' about when I finally get it back - or in other words, I may have some constructive criticism about a Leica camera that I want to discuss on the Leica forum. Or I may just want to praise it. Both stories should be able to be discussed with respect.

Edited by plasticman

No whining here, not a single quality issue with my M8, R8/DMR, R4Sp, SL, M6TTL, M4-P and a fair selection of lenses. Quality is one of the big issues of my switching from Nikon to Leica. I have used Canons (EOS1 and 1D) and will never buy one, outside of the 20D I bought to use with my R lenses - A Huge mistake, and now that I have the DMR, the 20D goes out the door.

Gene

Gene, you got my attention there! I went from a past with CL, M4-2, R5, M6HM and M7 to Canon 20 D and back to M8. See my on website why. But no regrets with the 20D and it is not out the door. Its 17-55/2.8 EF is very good, and already in 2005 the camera shone in low light conditions. However the combo is huge, and that is why I am happy to be back with M.

Edited by vanhulsenbeek

I am sorry to hear this. There are a few of us on this forum, who have near perfect 35 ASPH Summiluxes. Mine is set up with a touch of front focus at f1.4 and 2 meters, so that the focus fields are split about 50/50 rather than the classical 33 behind and 66 in front. There is a very small amount of aperture shift but only to the extent that the focus fields change to 33 behind and 66 in front. I posted test shots in an earlier thread to prove my point. Like many of the good ones it is chrome/brass not black/aluminium with the attendant downside of a considerable increase in the already high weight. I cannot understand why Leica can only make the occasional near perfect one, unless the ideal set up requires smaller tolerances than it is possible to adjust to. It casts some doubt on the reasoning in the article that Leica quoted and the earlier article in LFI magazine.

Wilson

Wilson

Thank you for your input. Your set up is what I am thinking about as it should maximize the usability of the lens. I emailed Don at DAG and was told that he could shift the focus forward slightly and that would be all he could do with the lens. He also said that I should not see the focus issue with films. I might send my lens to him or keep it on my film Ms permanently. Still debating... In the meantime, I will enjoy that fantastic lens with my film Ms:)

mashu