Sign in to follow this  
Shootist

NJ M8 Service is a joke.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So Jaap has 1/50 = 2% and via my dealer I have 0/30 = 0% failure rate. A random set of 80 M8's with 1 failure in about 2 years since introduction sounds reliable enough for a small scale manufacturing operation.

Numbers - not rumor.

If you don't want to have one fine, if you do get one now. An M8 makes great pictures.

Stephen,

I don't think these numbers are the whole story. I directly contacted Leica when I had problems and never consulted my dealer (in Amsterdam, Nivo Schweitzer). I'm sure people who don't have problems with their M8.x and are out taking photos(!) are the ones who come to a forum and complain about them. I wonder what the real numbers are and how they compare to a Phaseone or Hasselblad camera. You shouldn't compare a M8 to a D700 or 5D, IMHO.

So Jaap has 1/50 = 2% and via my dealer I have 0/30 = 0% failure rate. A random set of 80 M8's with 1 failure in about 2 years since introduction sounds reliable enough for a small scale manufacturing operation.

Numbers - not rumor.

I'm really sorry but these figures are no more or less reliable than anyone else's statements on the forum - unless I see a signed statement from each and every owner of these 80 flawless cameras.

What is worrisome is that you can take a random number of enthusiastic M8 users who've been posting on this forum for a couple of years, and a surprisingly large proportion of them have had recurrent problems with their equipment. No need to name names, but the dropout rate has been very high.

I tend to agree that the M8 seems to be a quite 'unreliable' candidate. One starts to prepare for the worst.

I mean, I wouldn't think about "what happens if the cam breaks down" while taking a Canon G model or something else - but then again, maybe I should start

The combination with slow service and probably sloppy QA in the US service center makes it worse. After all, I just got my M8 back from upgrade (yes, I did it) and sensor line fix after 8 business days - monday sent, wednesday next week returned. Mind you, I live in Germany.

I can live with fast service like this - but I certainly couldn't live with no replies, numerous back and forth mailing and getting my cam back in worse shape than I sent it off at, like people in the US reported.

JAAP

Since you asked here is a brief summary of my experience with the M8 bodies. I purchased all but one of these new and the other one was a factory demo...which appeared new.

1. M8 01/07 ...2nd batch missed the recall. Rangefinder calibration issues ...visited Solms twice and one trip to NJ . I flew to NJ to observe the calibration process .

2. M8 03/07...Rangefinder calibration issues as above(may have been caused by the adjustments in Solms). Sensor out of specification contributing to difficulty in calibration. Solved as above thru personal visit to NJ.

3. M8/12/07 ...demo model purchased as back up . Rangefinder verticle alignment problem and infinity focus. Calibrated by independent repair facility (DAG) for $75plus shipping one week turnaround. This camera was under warranty.

4. M8.2 11/08.....arrived with scratch on top plate. Returned at my expense . Replacement arrive a month later.

5. M8.2......12/08...developed "card full problem" during first usage over the holidays. This appears to be a firmware problem with the current release. Used 4 different cards including Leica approved Lexar 4gb SDHC 133X Pro ....both new cards failed.

6. M8.2 ....1/08 ..new body no faults detected ....but may require calibration ..its close.

From this experience and that of friends that have M8 s ...I have expectations that repairs and maintenance will be required and have adjusted my practices to address them.

I received my 35mm Lux back from Leica NJ today, which I had sent out for focus adjustment (approx 3" back focus) at the end of Dec 08. Knowing that they were closed for about a week at the beginning of Jan, the turn around was about two weeks. They told me, when I called right after they re-opened their office, that the lens would be returned at the beginning of March....

The lens came back sparkling clean:)

At the closest focusing distance, it now shows slight front focus (less than an inch), which might be well within the operator's fault;) Beyond that point, it focuses great:)

A Customer Satisfaction Survey came with the lens so I am going to give them some good feedback. People would say that this is how customer service should be and I agree and Leica NJ delivered it!

Leica NJ - Thank you for your excellent service. I can now use my $3000+ goodie:D Also, Thank you for dealing with the crappy workmanship + QC from Solms. I feel your pain!

mashu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At the closest focusing distance, it now shows slight front focus (less than an inch), which might be well within the operator's fault;) Beyond that point, it focuses great:)

mashu

I think that's the best/only way to deal with the focus shift of the 35 lux asph as one stops down. I have DAG doing mine right now.

A Customer Satisfaction Survey came with the lens so I am going to give them some good feedback. People would say that this is how customer service should be and I agree and Leica NJ delivered it!\

mashu

A Customer Satisfaction Survey , really?? That is very odd , my M8 came back 2 weeks ago sans survey. I have to call them back next week, I will be sure to ask them why I didn't receive my survey.

Maybe Leica HQ decided that with all the online flack it would be useful to start including a survey. Simple but effective. If Leica US has to include a survey with deliveries they will do their utmost to make sure that each customer is satisfied. It is a Sword of Damocles.

I received my 35mm Lux back from Leica NJ today, which I had sent out for focus adjustment (approx 3" back focus) at the end of Dec 08. Knowing that they were closed for about a week at the beginning of Jan, the turn around was about two weeks. They told me, when I called right after they re-opened their office, that the lens would be returned at the beginning of March....

The lens came back sparkling clean:)

A Customer Satisfaction Survey came with the lens so I am going to give them some good feedback. People would say that this is how customer service should be and I agree and Leica NJ delivered it!

Leica NJ - Thank you for your excellent service. I can now use my $3000+ goodie:D Also, Thank you for dealing with the crappy workmanship + QC from Solms. I feel your pain!

mashu

Test your lens at f2.8 ..this is the most practical setting for a 35/1.4 ....unless you shoot wide open frequently. If its at 2.8..your frontt focus will be as you indicated. You might also want to check it at a distance of 2 meters and again at 10 meters to make sure the difference is acceptable.

My 35/1.4 was set to slightly front focus at 1.4 ...with the optimum at f2.0 ....so I am good wide open and then skip to 5.6 ..its only out a little at f4 which I don t notice.

A Customer Satisfaction Survey , really?? That is very odd , my M8 came back 2 weeks ago sans survey. I have to call them back next week, I will be sure to ask them why I didn't receive my survey.

The Customer Satisfaction Survey only goes out to Satisfied Customers.

JaapV wrote "even in that troll-ridden forum" referring to Rangefinder Forum.

Well Jaap with over 4.800 postings in that "troll ridden forum" you seem to feel well at home there

Maybe you guys should meet? I think there's some chemistry there!

(come on Isabelle - admit it!)

The Customer Satisfaction Survey only goes out to Satisfied Customers.

Yeah, the fact that my M8, sent in mid-Dec is quoted to be returned March 16th, I doubt that I'll be getting a survey along with it.

Test your lens at f2.8 ..this is the most practical setting for a 35/1.4 ....unless you shoot wide open frequently. If its at 2.8..your frontt focus will be as you indicated. You might also want to check it at a distance of 2 meters and again at 10 meters to make sure the difference is acceptable.

My 35/1.4 was set to slightly front focus at 1.4 ...with the optimum at f2.0 ....so I am good wide open and then skip to 5.6 ..its only out a little at f4 which I don t notice.

glenerrolrd:

I tested the focus accuracy at 2.0/2.8/4/5.6/ so on and the focus shifts towards back as I increase the F number but my focus point is still in focus at the very front end. I guess that this is the best they can do.

Also I tested the focus accuracy at 2m but it is hard to tell anything as the resolution becomes poor in the photos.

I would ask Leica NJ if this is the best they can do but rather than sending the lens back and forth, I would just stick with it and wait for a G1 or a new camera body from Olympus:rolleyes:

Can we send our cameras to Germany? Or do we have to send to NJ? Just wondering in case I ever need service.

It depends on where you bought your camera and what your dealer will do for you. The place where I bought my M8 told me to send my camera back to them and they would send it to Germany. However, I sent my lenses directly to New Jersey to have them coded. (Still waiting to get them back.)

I picked my M8 up used on EBAY with a 1 year warranty. Not sure if they are transferable though. The warranty is for NJ. Camera and everything is in excellent condition. I love the camera. I have had many digital cameras over time and not once did one fail on me. I even left my canon 20D out over night once by accident. The next day it had dew all over it. It worked fine. I shot a zillion pictures with that thing. Do the M8s really crap out all the time or are there just a few people with problems? Also if a camera is no longer under warranty can we still send to NJ or Germany to be repaired?

I picked my M8 up used on EBAY with a 1 year warranty. Not sure if they are transferable though. The warranty is for NJ. Camera and everything is in excellent condition. I love the camera. I have had many digital cameras over time and not once did one fail on me. I even left my canon 20D out over night once by accident. The next day it had dew all over it. It worked fine. I shot a zillion pictures with that thing. Do the M8s really crap out all the time or are there just a few people with problems? Also if a camera is no longer under warranty can we still send to NJ or Germany to be repaired?

If your warranty is w/ NJ Camera , it may be a gray market camera, demo or a rebuilt . That is not to say it will not be a good camera. Different users experience different problems , and some not at all. I don't think it is a matter of luck, more so some of us are just unlucky.

Mine had a small glitch , NJ made it worse.

Sending camera to NJ when out of warranty is possible - you will just be charged for service. Sending camera to Germany may very well make it subject to duty fees , possibly both ways. Depending upon repair required (once out of warranty) you might consider other sources. Fellow forum members I'm sure will be able make suggestions.

enjoy your camera

Don't take any comments on this thread too seriously... It is mainly for the Leica Flagellation crowd...

Enjoy your M8 like many of us do

Just a short note. I had to send my 35 mm in with my M8 for a foreign object in the lens, and to have rangefinder adjusted. Everything went very well, completed on time, works like a charm. The two women that I dealt with at Leica were great!! Be nice on the phone, and treat them with respect and things will get done. This is my third time dealing with Lecia service, no complaints.