In a Lumix LX3 vs D-lux 4 quandary

jimbo035

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a Lumix FX150, but having owned a succession of Leicas in the past (notably a IIIg and later an M6) would prefer an D-lux 4, but was put off by the price.

So having discovered this forumI'd signed up to see what opinions were being expressed here, as it seemed from several other reviews of the LX3 and D-lux 4 that the one with the Leica badge had the edge. Aforementioned leica ownership, it has to be said, is pushing me to the D-lux 4 .

Glad to be here... but wish I could translate the contributions written in German !

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in the same dilemma. But I got the Leica D-Lux 4 and am ever so happy with it. Yes, you can almost buy 2 of the Panasonic's for the Leica price. But when I saw actual photos from both cameras, I chose the Leica. The colour are much more realistic. From the examples I've seen, the Pansonics lean toward green jpegs photos. The Leica is far more realistic to my eye. Perhaps it's because I have used my V-Lux 1 so much that I prefer the Leica colors. I already have many accessories for the D-Lux 4 to help take even better photos.

I've heard this before, too. But, so what? What I don't understand is that you can easily tweek contrast, saturation, color hue, etc. in the LX3 and in the D-Lux 4 to get out-of-the-camera results that vary all over the place. You'd have spend a bit of time with both cameras to figure out if the results wouldn't be very similar. Just because the factory settings aren't the same doesn't seem to me to be particularly significant.

I am already biased toward the D-Lux 4 ... as I imagine less "tweaking" will be required to achieve the results I crave. With film, the need to tweak was absolutely minimal, and now Photoshop is way beyond my budget. iPhoto '06 and Silky Pix are my digital darkrooms.

Jim, IMHO there is no rational reason to get the D-Lux 4 over the LX3.

But I bit the Leica bullet and am glad I did. It looks better--cleaner, better styled, with no out-of-place emblems.

If you buy the LX3, each time you use it you'll wonder, "Should I have bought the Leica?"

My understanding is that the difference in color rendition is only in the JPG output, but that's not to sniff at since it makes good JPGs.

And you get Capture One with the Leica. I don't care for the Capture One interface (need to spend more time with it), but it's my raw processor of choice for best quality. OTOH, I don't know SilkyPix.

I don't think in this case you can justify the Leica purchase to someone else, but if you're leaning toward the Leica, I'd say go ahead and get it. It won't disappoint.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I remember an episode of "Top Gear" where they tested the Range Rover Sport. They regarded it very highly, but the point was made that one day you would pull up at the traffic lights beside a "Classic" Range Rover and think to yourself "I wish I had bought that instead..."

I don't think that there is much of a rational reason in performance terms, particularly if you shoot RAW, but things like the 3-year warranty and the current free case offer are worthwhile. I have had an LX-1 and LX-2, and am now happily using the D-Lux 4 - why? Just because :cool:

Regards,

Bill

What I don't understand is that you can easily tweek contrast, saturation, color hue, etc. in the LX3 and in the D-Lux 4 to get out-of-the-camera results that vary all over the place. You'd have spend a bit of time with both cameras to figure out if the results wouldn't be very similar. Just because the factory settings aren't the same doesn't seem to me to be particularly significant.

Mike--You're right of course, but it goes beyond the factory settings.

This article was an eye-opener to me, simply because I didn't know the degree to which a manufacturer had control of colors. Topic is M8 vs D200, but the idea is the same:

KammaGamma Articles Leica M8 Colors

BTW--KammaGamma pursued the matter and last March offered a Lightroom template to get M8 colors from the D300's raw files:

KammaGamma Articles Lightroom Preset: Leica M8 Colors with your Nikon

I am already biased toward the D-Lux 4 ... as I imagine less "tweaking" will be required to achieve the results I crave. With film, the need to tweak was absolutely minimal, and now Photoshop is way beyond my budget. iPhoto '06 and Silky Pix are my digital darkrooms.

Heh, heh . . . The tweeking I'm talking about is in the camera's menus, not in Photoshop. If you (not you personally) can't do that, almost any camera is a waste of money; you can just use your mobile phone. And there's nothing wrong w/ Photoshop Elements, which came free with the Leica I bought. I've got iPhoto and it doesn't do much at all in terms of editing.

Personally, I prefer the looks of the Leica to the Panasonic, but the family financial manager/wife looks at a Leica and says, "How much did THAT cost? A LEICA!!!!!!" With a Panasonic, it's just a little, "Did you really need ANOTHER camera?"

Every time I see someone has the D-lux 4 I think: "He paid too much for the same thing, poor boy he was scammed"

Let's asume someone shops at Ffordes.

The Panasonic is £399, the Panasonic leather case is £80. So that's £479.

The Leica, with case, is £499.

The Leica has an longer warranty doesn't it? Is that worth £20?

Who needs a case?

But one needs a hand grip which is built in in the lx3

In holland the lx3 cost EUR419,-, the D-lux4 is EUR695,- the grip is EUR69.95.

In that case the 2nd year warranty is EUR345.95. Pretty expensive in my view.

Good price for the D-lux3 at ffordes btw. Are you sure this is not a mistake?

Cheers,

Michiel Fokkema

The price delta appears a bit larger in the USA. At B&H, the LX3 is priced at $410.00, while the D-Lux 4 is priced at $699.00, inclusive of the $150.00 mail in rebate (which takes 6-8 weeks to process, according to Leica's website). So your initial outlay will be better than twice the price, with the ultimate difference being about a 70% premium for the Leica.

That being said, I bought the Leica without a discount, and have no regrets. I'm always willing to pay more for Leica brand attributes (cleaner, more conservative styling, longer warranty, better bundled software), but if these things aren't important to you, or you're on a tight budget, then the Panasonic may be a better purchase. So make your best judgement, and either way you'll have a camera which I'm sure will please you greatly.

Jeff.

Who needs a case?

But one needs a hand grip which is built in in the lx3

Given the size of the camera I'd say neither is necessary. My LX-2 has a vestigal handgrip, but I think I'd be able to operate the camera without a problem if it wasn't there. It's not as if it's the size of a Pentax 67.

The Panasonic is available for less elsewhere, I only mentioned the Ffordes prices because that's what someone would see if they went there to compare the prices.

"Value" is in the eye of the beholder. If it bothers you to pay more money for a very similar item, then buy the Panny. No harm, no foul.

I got the DL4, and have zero regrets. Even if I don't get the rebate (I bought before that was announced). I love the images I get out of the camera, prefer the aesthetic and design of the Leica vs. Panny body, and appreciate the 3 year warranty. Is it worth the extra money? To me, yes. To others? Perhaps not. No right or wrong answer. Using the Leica makes me happy. Using the Panny would likely make me less happy. I'm willing to pay for my happiness. Or at least a "happy ending." ymmv.

It's your choice. I have two M8s and an M7 but saw no reason to pay more than twice as much for a pocket p&s that I may or may not get along with. I got my LX3 new for $359. But if you don't have other expenses and it's going to be your main camera and you can afford it, why not? BTW my wife saw the LX3 and commented on what a nice looking camera it is (and she's used to nice looking cameras hanging about). The styling on the LX3 is pretty damn good im and the Leica not $400 better.

BTW, Lightroom can now convert the RAWs. You could buy an LX3 and a copy of LR and still have change left over vs the Leica.

Buy what you can afford and want. Just keep in mind there will be a better faster one in a years time.:p

No longer in a quandary, FX150 sent off today for a trade-in appraisal against a new D-Lux 4.

Whilst this thread is still alive, here's another reason (from Leica's Web Page description) for my decision : "Leica Camera AG has developed its own unique colour matching, contrast and picture definition profile which produces digital characteristics complimentary to Leica M film photography."

Renewing my long time dead subscription to "Leica Fotografie" also a probability.

I purchased the D-lux 4 for many of the same reasons mentioned above and I am glad I did. I am very happy with my purchase. That said, the $150 rebate and a $150 store coupon I had at the Leica dealer made the price difference more palatable.

No longer in a quandary, FX150 sent off today for a trade-in appraisal against a new D-Lux 4.

Whilst this thread is still alive, here's another reason (from Leica's Web Page description) for my decision : "Leica Camera AG has developed its own unique colour matching, contrast and picture definition profile which produces digital characteristics complimentary to Leica M film photography."

Renewing my long time dead subscription to "Leica Fotografie" also a probability.

But remember, this ONLY if you shoot jpeg.

This is cool, but why wouldn't Leica just share this profile with Panasonic and Panasonic would just program that into the LX3? Even if Leica didn't share, it's not like images can't be reverse-engineered and a profile created out of studying enough sample images.