Open letter to Stefan Daniel and Petition for initiating fw M8 lens identification

Guest malland

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The open letter can be found at this post within the thread

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/75724-open-letter-stefan-daniel-petition-initiating-5.html#post789822

-----------------

There has been extensive discussion of Leica's use of lens coding to identity lenses to the M8. Many of us feel that this is an extremely inconvenient and costly solution for the user and that this should be done, more simply, by providing for it in the M8 firmware, which is easy to implement. Accordingly, I have written an online petition to Andreas Kaufmann and Leica, which reads as follows:

While Leica's solution of coding lenses in order to identify them to the camera may have made sense at the time the M8 was introduced, today a better solution is available. Nikon deals with lens identification in firmware, by simply allowing the used to enter the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens. With such a facility available in the M8 firmware the user would not have to send lenses away for coding, which is not only relatively expensive but is also bothersome in that the lenses have to be sent away and may not be received back for some time; it is also often onerous for Leica M8 users who do not live in Europe and North America, in that lens shipment is more costly, takes longer and involves troublesome customs clearance when the lenses are shipped back.

We therefore call on Dr Andreas Kaufmann and Leica to institute an M8 lens identification system in firmware, preferably on an open-system basis for all lenses or at least for all Leica lenses that can be used on the M8.

You can sign the petition at the following link, and I encourage you to list in the Comment field the Leica-M camaras that you own:

Initiate lens identification in Leica M8 firmware Petition : [ powered by iPetitions.com ]

My feeling is that, as this matter has been discussed so extensively, there is no need to discuss it here further. Please sign the petition if you support this initiative.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have signed the petition, no paypal required. Hopefully this will get somewhere as a firmware update!

I doubt it. Leica have had two years to implement this and have chosen not to. While it allows people to let off steam (a worthwhile activity), the petition will do nothing to change that IMHO.

But if there were an overwhelming participation in the petition it would be effective

Only if Leica change their mind. This issue has been dsiscussed endlessly here and elsewhere. That hasn't resulted in Leica implementing the change. I don't see that an online petition will change their stance.

Guest malland
Only if Leica change their mind. This issue has been dsiscussed endlessly here and elsewhere. That hasn't resulted in Leica implementing the change. I don't see that an online petition will change their stance.
Steve, up till now Leica has presumably watched the online debates on this issue and saw only that arguments were made strongly on both sides of the issue. However, if the petition shows that there is a very strong and extensive feeling against the cost and inconvenience of lens coding, Leica will have to realize that by continuing lens coding, when a simple firmware solution is available, they are inconveniencing and antagonizing a large portion of their user base that will have little sympathy for the company. That is not a good position for any company to be in.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Steve, up till now Leica has presumably watched the online debates on this issue and saw only that arguments were made strongly on both sides of the issue.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Sorry, Mitch the strongest argument against I've seen is "I don't need it but if anybody else does that is fine with me." I have a strong suspicion Leica simply won't do it. Period. :(

lct, do you want to translate that it English...

Don't speak English sorry.

In French:

Pas de filtres obligatoires

Pas de moteur obligatoire

Pas de codage obligatoire

Pas de chimping (don't know in French) obligatoire

Can try in Spanish as well but i can not translate chimping either.

Guest malland

Jaap, this type of thinking is incomprehensible to me in a situation in which coding is a great inconvenience — users in Asia would be without their lenses for at least a month — not to speak of cost, when such an elegant firmware update solution could be available. Look at the problem in this thread — who needs this?

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/75758-50mm-summicron-6-bit-coded-just.html

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

I know, Mitch, but this bone has been chewed to the marrow. I'll gladly support your petition, as I fully agree that it can be a practical feature for users with uncoded wideangle lenses, but I have a feeling we are dealing with an immovable object here.:(

Guest guy_mancuso

Not much different than Hassy having a closed system line and shutting out the use of there 28mm except for the use of the H3 camera anyone with a H1 or H2 that can take a different MF back than they are shut out on the 28mm. Not much different and Hassy will not change there mind and it can ONLY be used on a H3 camera. There are many other examples of this like Sigma that has to use reverse engineering to make lenses for other brands because they can't buy the patents or use the patents by companies like Canon or Nikon. Obviously different scenarios but the same end results.