M8 Focusing

tooth

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All

My name is George and I live in Melbourne Australia.

I recently got an M8 for a demonstration. I loved it but it drove me crazy as it did not focus close up. Infinity was fine.

I then purchased one and found the same problem. So I was given a 2nd camera and this time it did not focus on infinity.

This time the camera was sent to Germany and I was given a demo 8.2 which is OK.

I actually prefer my M8 as I miss the extra speed however I would preer the new frames on the 8.2.

I am trying to decide between the 35 1.4 asph summilux and the 35 f2 summicron.

Any comments.

George

Both lenses you mention are exceptional. Some people have reported having focus shift problems with the 35/1.4. I have the Summicron and love it. Focus is spot on throughout the range, it is razor sharp, contrast is great and it's small and light. It is also fairly inexpensive when compared to some other M lenses.

You got a M8.2 as a replacement? You lucky!! I should have send my M8 to Leica NJ, complaining about the focus issue....:) My 35mm Lux is in their hand for back focus issue (6~7 inches back focus). I did not have this issue with my previous 35mm Cron... If you are happy with F2, you may wanna get a Cron. It might be safer....

Hello, Me, too From Melbourne, AUSTralia! WOW I had exactly same problem as you!!! Yep not focusing 0/0 at minimum distance!

I feel Australia is still dumping ground?!??!?!!? All the bad Leica were sent to Australia!???

I sent mine to Germany and came back ok. focusing 0/0 now, BUT infinity was out so I adjusted it myself(used method shown in this forum somewhere)

Now I say 100%(nothing is 100% with Leica)

But It too 3 months for repair! And I did not have camera for that time. Lucky you that you have demo body to play with.

Summicron 35/2! Silver if body was silver. If black, I will buy 35/1.4(if I have money) but then I hear it is hard to focus 100% on 35/1.4. I feel 35/2 matchs better with M8. I wanted 35/2 but not enough $$$$ so I bought 28/2.8.

Hi all

Thank you for your feedback.

It makes me feel sick in the stomach to hear how many Leicas are having problems.

Why is this happenning? I thouht the very high prices were partly going toward quality control.

I did not fully understand the problems with the 35 summilux. Could some one please elaborate.

Best regards

George

Hi all

Thank you for your feedback.

It makes me feel sick in the stomach to hear how many Leicas are having problems.

Why is this happenning? I thouht the very high prices were partly going toward quality control.

I did not fully understand the problems with the 35 summilux. Could some one please elaborate.

Best regards

George

In most cases this is not a fault of a particular camera but due to physics. search for "focus shift" on the forum, the cause fot this phenomen been discuessed intensively earlier. There were some systematic problems in the early days of the M8 back in 2006 but they have been resovled, as far as I know.

But It too 3 months for repair! And I did not have camera for that time. Lucky you that you have demo body to play with.

Sorry to hear this. But why didn´t you press your dealer for a replacement, at least as long as your camera was being repaired?