Sitting in the sun in San Francisco

JE

The first one works quite well tells a good story and gives us something to look at the other two are feeble(bin then, kaput, hit delete)

Generally you shoot too far away, if you feel uncomfortable getting close up shoot a DSLR with zoom at the longest end and gradually get wider. Then go back to the rangefinder, the second shot shows that lack of confidence

Check ot this work

journal and .:: Jindřich Štreit ::.

Thanks for the links Imants. The 2nd looks like there's some great photos, stuff to learn from. I haven't yet gone through the first. I'd appreciate any more links...

As far as shooting with an SLR and a zoom...I've got one kit and I'm sticking to it...I can't afford anything else...I stumbled upon a free Leica and that's how I got shooting...The second shot--lack of confidence played a role. I prefocused held the camera at my side, walked by and shot without knowing what I had captured. I like the way it turned out but would rather have captured his face, somekind of awareness, a stare into the lens, something more...

JE

Jon, little sunshower hasn't seen your photos of loaded guns & rifles pointed at you & friends, or I don't think he would leave these comments. On the other hand....

Anyway, the first is a strong environmental shot. That the subject is firmly on the ground, sitting and looking at you really helps. The second shot would have been much stronger if he was engaged head on, either getting him to turn & look at you or, if safe, to move in front of him, sit down & take his portrait. The last two are less engaged and emotionally distant.

I like #1, Jon. Nice perspective and composition.

I can agree with Imants about the second photo...but for a pre-focused hip shot, nicely done. You certainly got on the 'right' side of him with all the light. It's just too bad he didn't look your way for the shot...What did I tell you about dangling your keys on your belt. It makes too much noise...oh wait, that's me!:D

SF's Chinatown seems much much better than ours, that's for sure!!!!!!;)

Amado

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I like that he is looking away. He is lost in his own thoughts or world, not paying attention to you or the rest of us. We are left to wonder what he may have on his mind - even if it is only a retreat from the world. Also like the angle of the post. It's a hill, after all, but that excentric (can't spell) angle goes with his refusal to engage. He cares nothing about you or me or anyone else - for this moment at least.