M9 concept sketch

thrid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree that this is just a discussion about one button more or less. But this is pretty superficial. Soon a M will probably have electronic focus assist (and probably autofocus with a new line of lenses, with backward compatibility with the present one) instead of an optomechanical rangefinder, and also live view. That is what we should discuss, if we are to produce anything like a productive input to the M development team.

The old man from the Age of the Screw Thread

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not in a hurry, i got full frame, various resolution from 1MP (Shitty film) to nearly 500MP (Good film)

http://www.adox.de/ADOX_Filme/ADOX_CMS_Filme/ADOX_CMS_Filme/ADOX_CMS_Filme_Bildbbsp.html

No need to worry about batteries, it's works perfectly without as well (sunny 16)...

Did i hear you find the M8 to obtrusive, no need to worry this one is as silent as your farts at work... :-)

And the best of all, you get a "real" negative which will never be corrupted due to computer failure, (just scan a new one), the best of both worlds if you ask me...(and yes i also have and use a M8, but somehow it can't compare...)

So why not use the fantastic tools that are already here...?, it will be years maybe decades (maybe never) until they make a digital equal to this...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

...... they need to re-think that design and come up with a new way to use M glass - a second model to sit alongside the "M9 Classic" - and then make it in China to keep the cost down..... Leica needs to expand its market from niche player in order to survive and a warmed-over 50+ year old design won't do it for them.......

Makes sense to me. But Leica's 3 product digital line diversification actually doesn't. I don't think it bodes well for needed advancement with the 'Ms'. Oh well, maybe Nikon will rattle the Solms dusty 'M' cobwebs with an 'M' mount camera just for the hell of it .............. only day dreaming folks.

.............. Chris

• 7 months later...

Your designs are really brilliant. Congratulations on some very cool thinking and rendering.

Something I would add to the design of the next Leica M would be raised collars around the menu buttons, similar to the collar that surrounds the lens release button. This would decrease unwanted menu changes. Currently, the buttons are easily activated accidentally because they protrude from the body. They should be flush, recessed or collared.

This is right and mirrors the controversial statements I made this past July on this forum. The M series does not have a sustainable audience unless it eventually incorporates auto-focus and maintains compatibility with manual focus M lenses and keeps its sacred rangefinder mechanism. Only auto-focus will broaden its appeal as individuals are progressively less willing to go through the learning curve needed to effectively shoot an M series camera.

I agree that this is just a discussion about one button more or less. But this is pretty superficial. Soon a M will probably have electronic focus assist (and probably autofocus with a new line of lenses, with backward compatibility with the present one) instead of an optomechanical rangefinder, and also live view. That is what we should discuss, if we are to produce anything like a productive input to the M development team.

The old man from the Age of the Screw Thread

Here is a more traditional approach to a M9 that retains the step on the top plate.

'AE-L' lock button

'-/+' button for adjusting exposure compensation and ASA (hold down 'set' button and -/+ adjusts asa)

Much stiffer indents on the power/shooting mode lever located beneath the shutter release

1024 Point RGB matrix metering, most likely integrated in to the RF unit.

Auto-ASA exposure mode. Camera adjusts asa so the shutter speed does not fall below a user set speed.

Live view

18MP - 21MP. Preference for dynamic range over resolution.

5 fps max

Heavy duty weather sealing against dust and moisture.

Optional heavy duty power pack (uses 2 x M8 style batteries for a total of 3)

Feli

feli2@earthlink.net

ELAN FOTOS

I don't like that design.

The goal should be to keep it as simple as possible, expanding the possibilities as much as possible.

The interface at the back of the camera can be made much simpler. I would adopt the interface of the S2 as a solution for a minimalistic design: only four buttons. Elegant, efficient and very simple.

A separable electronic viewfinder can be placed on the hot shoe, adding a port to the back of the camera (we will see this in the GF1, soon to be presented), but the camera would need live view (so a CMOS or CCD interline sensor would be mandatory).

Guest srheker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Maybe they could use the extra room for a sophisticated metering system... Something similar to Nikons 1005 RGB Matrix meter. The exposure accuracy of my D700 can almost be classified as sorcery. Digital needs something that accurate, since it is so much less forgiving than film negative to exposure errors.

I think, it's a big misconception to believe that Matrix-Metering is the most accurate (and easy to use) metering system.

Why should I try to understand my cameras (and this means each of my cameras individual !) Matrix-Metering (wich is in fact a highly complicated black-box) to learn when it will work and when I will have to correct its results using exposure compensation?

It's much easier to learn how to use Spot- or Centered-Metering. One can't accomplish no more accuracy than by having control over where to measure, what to measure and how to interpret that meters reading.

I'm not in a hurry, i got full frame, various resolution from 1MP (Shitty film) to nearly 500MP (Good film)

I have this odd sense of strongly agreeing with Alexander - but knowing that for a forthcoming six day concert / festival shoot (all in doors with very mixed lighting) I'm going to be reaching for digital kit and not film. I'm going to have to produce several hundred images for the client, have them available at publication and web resolutions, and get the whole process. I've kept an M6 TTL and a Nixon 4000 scanner for just in case... but I don't use them. :o

Chris, good luck with that 6 day shoot, hope your M equipment excels!

Me too :)

But I'll also be using 5D / 5D2 alongside the Ms when I need to go long or shoot in extreme low light. For the moment I'm not happy going any higher than 1250 with the M8 (though I find 640's really good - comparable with 800 on the Canons), and I'm going to need a 300 2.8 for some of the concert work - and I don't quite see myself using a Visoflex for that particular job!

A pity the rumoured M9 won't be available next weekend ... Would have been nice for the rehearsal work where I can get in close... :cool:

Chris, good luck with that 6 day shoot, hope your M equipment excels!

Ruben, that would be good, wouldn't it? The new operating model for the S2 transferred to the M9. That would be something new, innovative and exciting.

Yes, that would be really good.

Look at the current interface. Too many buttons. The "Set" button opens an important menu. "Protect" is barely used... It is a ver inefficient interface.

+1 to this: I truly loathe the fact there's no PC SYNCH terminal on the camera. Sheesh. That would also be a buying decision for me next time.

Forgive me for repeating myself: What we do need is not a P/C terminal. I got fed up with them ages ago. It is --

-- either a five-pole screw-in terminal for a full 'system' cord, like the one my OM-4 Ti had ages ago (must Leica necessarily chew on their cuds for two generations before swallowing them?)

-- or a near copy of a standard Nikon SC shoe-to-shoe cable like the old SC-17 I use, but with a 'cold shoe' on top so I can use it with an auxiliary finder. Lots of flashes nowadays do cover a greater angle than that of a 35mm lens.

The old man from the Age of Flashbulbs

Forgive me for repeating myself: What we do need is not a P/C terminal. I got fed up with them ages ago. It is --

-- either a five-pole screw-in terminal for a full 'system' cord, like the one my OM-4 Ti had ages ago (must Leica necessarily chew on their cuds for two generations before swallowing them?)

-- or a near copy of a standard Nikon SC shoe-to-shoe cable like the old SC-17 I use, but with a 'cold shoe' on top so I can use it with an auxiliary finder. Lots of flashes nowadays do cover a greater angle than that of a 35mm lens.

-- and a PC socket, preferably one that accepts standard and screw-lock connectors. It's not a good design but it's the standard.