Sign in to follow this  
steve kessel

Elmarit 135/2.8

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've got one of these but have not used it much, partly because I find it difficult to focus. This is made worse because the patch aligns left to right but not up-down. Can anyone advise what might be involved in correcting this.

Shanks

Steve

I've got one of these but have not used it much, partly because I find it difficult to focus. This is made worse because the patch aligns left to right but not up-down. Can anyone advise what might be involved in correcting this...

Looks like your rangefinder has a slight vertical misalignment. It is more visible with the goggles i guess. Otherwise, if you use an M8, you will need a 1.25x magnifier to get good hit rates at f/2.8.

I've got one of these but have not used it much, partly because I find it difficult to focus. This is made worse because the patch aligns left to right but not up-down. Can anyone advise what might be involved in correcting this.

Shanks

Steve

Steve,

If I recall, there are two adjustment screws on the round occular of the 'goggles'. They are hidden under some soft black material and located at 6 o'clock (up-down adjustment) and 3 o'clock (side to side or infinity adjustment).

The screws are relatively easy to find - look for them at the 3 and 6 o'clock positions - the 3 o'clock one is on the outer side of the round occular. Look for an area about 2mm diameter that has a different type of texture than the wrinkle finish of the goggles.

Once you locate the soft material which covers the screw, remove it using a toothpick or a small jeweller's screwdriver. You will thus expose the screw - gently turn it with a fine screwdriver, observing how the image changes in the finder. The key word is gently - you don't want to tighten it too much and maybe crack the glass in the occular.

This how I adjusted the vertical image on the goggles of my 35mm Summicron, the 135mm Elmarit-M probably has the same type of adjustment.

Good luck and proceed at own risk!

Best,

Jan

After having read lct's post - yes, the problem could indeed be with the camera as well. The Elmarit's goggles magnify the rangefinder image 1.5x for greater focusing accuracy; unfortunately, they also magnify any misalignment of the camera's rangefinder.

First make sure that your camera RF image is perfectly aligned with non-goggled lenses and only then adjust the goggles of the 135mm Elmarit (if needed).

Best,

Jan

lct, Jan

Thank you very much for your replies.

My M6 had its rangefinder checked a short while back, so I tend to think the fault is in the lens goggles. The Elmarit goggles have screws in approximately the same position as the 'cron but no difference in texture.

So, to be sure, I'll take the camera and lens to a local repairer to get it sorted.

Best wishes

Steve

Steve, I don't think you understood the repair advice given by Jan. The screws are actually located on the round goggle, near it's rear where the back plate attaches. As Jan said, the holes where the screws are buried are covered by a black wax or soft paint and this must be cleared out to see the screws. These screws are tiny slotted screws and adjustment requires an appropriately small screwdriver blade. The bottom screw at 6:00 adjusts the vertical alignment and the other adjusts horizontal alignment. Adjusting one generally affects the other, so you need to play with both. Only very small adjustments are need so don't over do it. Lastly, it's VERY important to loosed the seven screws securing the back plate as the friction of the plate when screwed down prevents any movement of the lens your attempting to move with the adjustment screws on. the round goggle. It's really a simple adjustment if your a little handy with these things. Obviously, you should make sure the camera's rf adjustment with non-goggled lenses is correct as you are using this as your starting point.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Steve, I don't think you understood the repair advice given by Jan. The screws are actually located on the round goggle, near it's rear where the back plate attaches. As Jan said, the holes where the screws are buried are covered by a black wax or soft paint and this must be cleared out to see the screws. These screws are tiny slotted screws and adjustment requires an appropriately small screwdriver blade. The bottom screw at 6:00 adjusts the vertical alignment and the other adjusts horizontal alignment. Adjusting one generally affects the other, so you need to play with both. Only very small adjustments are need so don't over do it. Lastly, it's VERY important to loosed the seven screws securing the back plate as the friction of the plate when screwed down prevents any movement of the lens your attempting to move with the adjustment screws on. the round goggle. It's really a simple adjustment if your a little handy with these things. Obviously, you should make sure the camera's rf adjustment with non-goggled lenses is correct as you are using this as your starting point.

Hi AlanWilder...

Terrific explanation ¡¡¡ thanks so much for share...

Now my elmarit focuses nice. But I cant focuses at infinity¡¡¡ I still see double image at infinity...this was present before alignment so i dont think this is a complication...

Any advices???

Bob.