Sign in to follow this  
marknorton

If you want to be depressed...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What pisses me off about this sort of thing is that after talking to Leica repair today I find the warranty repair I sent my M8 in for three weeks ago isn't scheduled until the end of Feb. and then there's little possibility of doing the upgrade at that time as they are out of framelines and now looking at late March (I got on list first of Nov.).

Time to get that second M8 body I guess, though I can tell you it won't be a new one and who cares if it doesn't have a warranty as they are useless anyway (I should have just sent it to DAG as they couldn't get the problem right the first eight weeks they had it). I kind of doubt I'll bother with the upgrade at this point as I'd rather just have a camera that works (meaning needing two of them).

Give us reliable products and proper service times made for working photographers and stuff the overpriced editions and round the world trips for sheiks. Please!

Come on Fotografr ..... handbags and accessories are different, not to be common-placed with photographic equipment! you should know better than to address this ....

You're right. I sooooooo apologize.

Come on Isabelle ..... cameras and lenses are different, not to be common-placed with fashion accessories!

Couldn't resist/

Stunsworrh!!!! .. you definitely have no feminine genes in you, now do you ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Man think of the possibilities. How about an urban jungle model with a lens that looks like a beer can and body of a small cerial box.

Few things from the original info:

1) "in a kit with a Summicron 28mm f/2 lens", that looks like a 28/2.8 elmarit chrome......??????

2) If the link in post #1 is correct you pay 7500 euro for a safari M8.2 + summicron 28/2 ASPH.

M8.2 = 4995 euro

cronA28 = 3100 euro

total = 8095 euro

You save 8095-7500 = 595 euro

3) if the picture above is the real thing it looks OK, nothing to get in a frazzle about + if it keeps Leica ticking over then fine with me.

Note I still won't buy one as I am (very) happy with my present M8.

Few things from the original info:

1) "in a kit with a Summicron 28mm f/2 lens", that looks like a 28/2.8 elmarit chrome......??????

2) If the link in post #1 is correct you pay 7500 euro for a safari M8.2 + summicron 28/2 ASPH.

M8.2 = 4995 euro

cronA28 = 3100 euro

total = 8095 euro

You save 8095-7500 = 595 euro

3) if the picture above is the real thing it looks OK, nothing to get in a frazzle about + if it keeps Leica ticking over then fine with me.

Note I still won't buy one as I am (very) happy with my present M8.

What's the deal with the bag and the fancy strap? Is that included as well?

And the lens looks like a chrome Elmarit which, along with the green vulkanite, I assume makes it unique for the collectors...

Cheers,

If you drag one of these through the dirt, get it dented in appropriate places, scratched or whatever it would look pretty cool. Plus no-one of the thieving kind would identify this as a high-end camera even in their wildest dreams. Red dot or not.

So collectors and users alike should see something in this.

Even if it turns out to be a (chrome!!!!!) elmarit it still has it's charms.

I think this is a pretty smart move by herr dr. Kaufmann.

EDIT

I found this, for 7500 euro you get:

LEICA M8.2 Safari olive green paint finish

- LEICA ELMARIT-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH. Silver + silver hood

- Filter E39 UV/IR silver

- Billingham M Safari bag

- Genuine leather carrying strap Safari

see: Leica M8.2 Safari + Summicron 28mm F 2,0 | Fotokonijnenberg

They are getting their crons and elmarits mixed up but I think the package will be a silver elmarit.

It's easy money for Leica, no R&D involved _and_ the margins are higher. If people are silly enough to buy it, why not?

Entielry agree with Steve. Leica have show how to milk the stupid rich before and they will again. Shame our government in the UK haven't the same savy. They were given a mandate in 1997 to do but they conned us.

I would start with Porsche owners!!

Has anybody seen it already? If not...

Damn, that's really pretty. You probably just helped Leica sell 20 or 30 of these by posting the photos.

Looks kinda cool...I could see sporting that in fatigues in Iraq..

You shouldn't be in Iraq.

I must admit it does look good and OK Leica needs the money but it still perpetuates the idea that Leica is making fashion statements and not serious cameras.

Jeff