If you want to be depressed...

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...look at this:

Leica Camera to launch ‘Safari’ M.8.2 news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

A "safari" M8. Are Leica mad? Don't they remember what happened when Hermes were in the picture?

I despair. Instead of offering us IQ and reliability improvements, Leica are intent on offering us this garbage.

Just what you need when going on safari, a rangefinder and 28mm lens.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm wondering whether this camera will come with a modified S-mode (Safari Mode, for the uninitiated). Press the info button and the camera will display a range of wild animals to help you identify them, just in case you never could figure out: Is that an elephant or a giraffe?

...look at this:

Leica Camera to launch ‘Safari’ M.8.2 news - Amateur Photographer - news, camera reviews, lens reviews, camera equipment guides, photography courses, competitions, photography forums

A "safari" M8. Are Leica mad? Don't they remember what happened when Hermes were in the picture?

I despair. Instead of offering us IQ and reliability improvements, Leica are intent on offering us this garbage.

Just what you need when going on safari, a rangefinder and 28mm lens.

"Whatever it is I'm against it" Mark Norton

or was it Groucho Marx ?

One thing Leica does know all about (and this is not digital engineering) is their main/principle target group.

They can introduce little safari M8 buttons now to replace the red and stealthy black ones, matching bags and camera finishes, probably introduce a line of safari clothing with printed leica dots strategically placed ... I know at least 6 forum members whom would wet their pants thinking about all the opportunities of the M8.2 safari package

I'm wondering whether this camera will come with a modified S-mode (Safari Mode, for the uninitiated). Press the info button and the camera will display a range of wild animals to help you identify them, just in case you never could figure out: Is that an elephant or a giraffe?

That's pretty funny.

It is, to say the least, not my favorite direction for Leica to take. Maybe this stuff makes them money but it sure doesn't help professional or serious amateur photographers. The best I can hope is that at least some of the money earned from these special edition cameras gets put into R&D.

Cheers,

Sean

Yes

I expect that they have turned over all their R&D department to choosing which colour to print these :rolleyes:

You can see 150 skilled engineers in Solms spending weeks with Pantone swatches

This is not affecting the S2, R10 or M9 work at all. Let's get some grip on reality.

Oh easy, I think Leica should be focussing on imaging performance instead of (questionable) aesthetics.

I doubt that's an either/or proposition. I don't think the optical engineering team gets pulled off the design workstations to glue green leather on the Safari bodies.

If Leica can put dollars on the bottom line by putting a few cameras in nice boxes and covering them with special leather, I say "go for it - more dollars to fund the engineering budget".

The Leica corp. are much more clever than us .... They know their clientele , they know they can produce anything of which ever quality and sell it, just read all the apologists here, the M8 is not at all a high quality camera, but followers will defend up unto the point of loosing their left testicle, and perhaps even after that ... going on to the right one ...

Leica has a select group of people whom will buy anything with a red, black, safari colored or pink dot on it, as long as it has a slight resemblance to Leica/exclusive.

Any photographer in his/her right mind would spend the money on a totally different, and better configuration, but for most Leica users this is not important, Leica means "money" ... "position" ... social standing etc.

Just answer me on the fact that people actually spend 60% more on a titanium colored D-lux4 being the same camera they can get for well, obviously cheaper in a Panasonic version, same specs, same camera...

Clever marketeers these Leica blokes ... and as long they have their short-sighted followers they will get along fine

You know photography is all about results ... and despite all the arguments posted here the results of a leica M8 are not better than cheaper alternatives, yes it is a range finder, but if one is in there for the result, the M8 is a bad choice for the investment required ....

But to be honest ... it's a sexy little camera!

Yes

I expect that they have turned over all their R&D department to choosing which colour to print these :rolleyes:

You can see 150 skilled engineers in Solms spending weeks with Pantone swatches

This is not affecting the S2, R10 or M9 work at all. Let's get some grip on reality.

Let's hope that the converse is true though. The special edition cameras earn money and some of that money goes into R & D.

Cheers,

Sean

The Leica corp. are much more clever than us .... They know their clientele , they know they can produce anything of which ever quality and sell it, just read all the apologists here, the M8 is not at all a high quality camera, but followers will defend up unto the point of loosing their left testicle, and perhaps even after that ... going on to the right one ...

Leica has a select group of people whom will buy anything with a red, black, safari colored or pink dot on it, as long as it has a slight resemblance to Leica/exclusive.

Any photographer in his/her right mind would spend the money on a totally different, and better configuration, but for most Leica users this is not important, Leica means "money" ... "position" ... social standing etc.

Just answer me on the fact that people actually spend 60% more on a titanium colored D-lux4 being the same camera they can get for well, obviously cheaper in a Panasonic version, same specs, same camera...

Clever marketeers these Leica blokes ... and as long they have their short-sighted followers they will get along fine

You know photography is all about results ... and despite all the arguments posted here the results of a leica M8 are not better than cheaper alternatives, yes it is a range finder, but if one is in there for the result, the M8 is a bad choice for the investment required ....

But to be honest ... it's a sexy little camera!

Is there any chance you are over-generalizing by just a teeny bit? <G> Can you imagine, at least, some photographers for whom the M8 really works well and is suitable?

Cheers,

Sean