If you want to be depressed...

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think some of us need to brush up on our Leica history here. Go out and buy Jim Lager's trilogy of the brand and take a look through the past.

This model doesn't interest me in the least....but some would say I'm nuts for getting an LHSA MP3 and the matching Leicavit to go with it. And using it....

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any chance you are over-generalizing by just a teeny bit? <G> Can you imagine, at least, some photographers for whom the M8 really works well and is suitable?

Cheers,

Sean

..... Yeah I can actually ... its a very nice camera, producing great results once you know how to get them..... I mean it!!! (which means I'm not being cynical here ... honestly!)

:-)

It is not my favorite direction to go either, but the safari versions do have a much longer history at Leica than some of the Hermes editions with lizard skin and all that, so it doesn't bother me that much either. It is clear that the people who really matter in the development of new cameras are not going to be distracted by this. The Panda versions are similar, but with perhaps a bit less pedigree, as fas as I know.

Now if the specially engraved lizard skin editions make a come-back, I will start worrying.

With respect to the LHSA camera, that was made for a small group of enthusiasts, and I can see that Leica would go along with that. Personally, I find the external frame counter nuts, but I am considering buying a set, just so that I can have a 50 Lux ASPH in the old lens body. I love that look, and the modern look does little for me. Give me a lens shade full of holes! :)

Leica MP 3 LHSA Special Edition (Chrome Finish) on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Just answer me on the fact that people actually spend 60% more on a titanium colored D-lux4 being the same camera they can get for well, obviously cheaper in a Panasonic version, same specs, same camera...

1) It's not "titanium colored," it is titanium.

2) It includes a rather nice leather case. Luigi gets US$200 for the one he makes.

3) The warranty is 3 years, versus 90 days parts and 1 year labor for the Panasonic.

You'll hear no apologies from me about having one. Of course, I'm also one of those dummies who happen to like the M8.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm signing up for both the camera & the trip! This is going to be one wild & dangerous safari, with only a 28mm lens. If we zone-focus on 2.5 meters, we can capture all the thundering rogue elephant hooves & leaping tiger fangs.

I agree about the absurdity of a Safari collector's M8.2, but you can go on safari with a wide angle lens. Here is one with the Leica R19. Those are lions.:)

40607394.jpg40607394.jpg

Tina

Tina Manley- powered by SmugMug

Let's hope that the converse is true though. The special edition cameras earn money and some of that money goes into R & D.

Cheers,

Sean

Exactly what I was going to say Sean. It's good for all of us that Leica can generate income with these luxury/collectible offerings. Heaven knows it's hard for Leica to depend only on "real" photographers to support the niche that RF cameras represent. So thanks to Leica, and to the buyers on Safari, I hope they sell them all quickly! best...Peter

I'm signing up for both the camera & the trip! This is going to be one wild & dangerous safari, with only a 28mm lens. If we zone-focus on 2.5 meters, we can capture all the thundering rogue elephant hooves & leaping tiger fangs.

I agree about the absurdity of a Safari collector's M8.2, but you can go on safari with a wide angle lens. Here is one with the Leica R19. Those are lions.:)

Tina

Very cool shot! Thanks for sharing!

...now back to the original thread... :cool:

Tina

Damn, Tina! How did you get so close without waking them up? The wind must have been blowing toward you. Superb shot.

Just answer me on the fact that people actually spend 60% more on a titanium colored D-lux4 being the same camera they can get for well, obviously cheaper in a Panasonic version, same specs, same camera...

Isabelle, as a woman - I assume you are a woman, do you only wear cheap flip-flops, or sensible shoes? Or do you sometimes buy shoes for the hell of it because you find the design attractive?

1) It's not "titanium colored," it is titanium.

2) It includes a rather nice leather case.

3) The warranty is 3 years, versus 90 days parts and 1 year labor for the Panasonic.

You'll hear no apologies from me about having one. Of course, I'm also one of those dummies who happen to like the M8.

Ok Titanium (not colored, which is good no?)

I like it, it looks beautiful, sleek, slim and fully "up in there" I do agree with you...

But!!!

one can get a D-Lux4 in the UK including case, one of these nice, smooooooth looking old fashioned leica cases, including 3 year warrantee for 499UKP what's the extra value for you? (I'm generally interested)

What's depressing about it? It's no more depressing than an MP3, or any of the LHSA specials that people paid a premium for.

Actually the MP3 is a really nice camera. Aside from the M5 the MP3 is the only M ever made with the more accurate 1 meter framelines and a built in meter...

All other metered M bodies (except the M5) have the less accurate 70cm framelines.

But they are hideously expensive....

;-)

Come on Fotografr ..... handbags and accessories are different, not to be common-placed with photographic equipment! you should know better than to address this ....

Come on Isabelle ..... cameras and lenses are different, not to be common-placed with fashion accessories!

Couldn't resist/