If you want to be depressed...

marknorton

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wilfredo, you're thinking along the same lines as I am. A "fallen CEO" version of the M8 could be a big seller. It could be given to disgraced and fired executives as part of their golden parachute package. (Gold plate the camera and replace the red dot with a parachute logo.) Mindless, excessive luxury should never go out of style.

Larry

You know, several very rich people (CEO's) I know don't know the first thing about photography and even with all their money and things go about taking picture with a p&s canon/pentax/whatever (and I can't get them to buy a fine art print from me to save my life). It's just not on their radar. I think there's a different breed at work here, some kind of "old money" collector (think King of Thailand). I think Leica M's are just too much "work" for most people wealthy or not, and esp high powered nouveau CEOs .

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this version doesn't appeal to me, I see no problem in people buying such cameras if they want to. After all, there is a choice when you buy say a car - colour, engine, accessories, etc., - and few would worry about that (I hasten to add my car is generally filth coloured as I don't actually care about its colour either). I'd find it boring if cars were all black or silver though....... If it keeps sales up and a manufacturer making money what is the problem? Each to their own.

You know, several very rich people (CEO's) I know don't know the first thing about photography and even with all their money and things go about taking picture with a p&s canon/pentax/whatever (and I can't get them to buy a fine art print from me to save my life). It's just not on their radar. I think there's a different breed at work here, some kind of "old money" collector (think King of Thailand). I think Leica M's are just too much "work" for most people wealthy or not, and esp high powered nouveau CEOs .

Charles,

I think you're right. Most of the CEOs I've know (and that's quite a few) were uncomfortable and confused when confronted with details and facts.

Larry

After all, there is a choice when you buy say a car - colour, engine, accessories, etc., - and few would worry about that (I hasten to add my car is generally filth coloured as I don't actually care about its colour either). I'd find it boring if cars were all black or silver though....... If it keeps sales up and a manufacturer making money what is the problem? Each to their own.

I agree! There is nothing depressing about a Safari Leica. It's cute. Camera colors generally follow the Henry Ford philosophy: "Any customer can have a car painted any colour that he wants so long as it is black." Thankfully, that philosophy no longer prevails in the auto world. I like black cameras, but I can see the appeal of other colors, especially when the camera is mainly for family photos, vacations, fun, etc. Choosing your color makes an object a little more personal.

The pictures do actually make it look good - colour rather like the old R3 Safari. The rest of the kit matches in quite well IMO.

If I had to make some guesses as to what has so far been left out of the info posted (unless I've missed it) I would suggest that a UV/IR filter for the 28 Elmarit would be included (seems pointless giving you everything and forgetting that), and as it's a limited edition there would be around 500 world-wide with say perhaps 25 for the UK coming in at maybe £6k+. The remaining question would be when - and I reckon it could be as early as Feb, but more likely March.

I see nothing wrong with collector editions, after all those who actually take photos are not compelled to buy them, and if the result is to swell Leica's coffers by even a small amount so much the better.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Wow, a Safari Leica M8!! I'm not ashamed to say I love it!

I have an R3, of which there was a Safari version, and matching colour R lenses to go with it! I almost bought one on e bay a while back as a 2nd body, it was a well used camera and going pretty cheap, wish I had!

If I was going to buy an M8 I think I'd go for this one - gets over the whole black v chrome debate :)

I could care less about whether they come out with a Safari edition or not. It is not taking any resources away from any new developments and in an economic marketplace like this, if there is a market for it, and the Safari edition is helping Leica keep some of their employees busy, then they have my blessing.

Keep the following in mind: I am sure that Leica is suffering from reclining sales like many other companies, and not every one of their employees is an engineer. So go ahead, keep that one guy with the spray can busy and come out with all sorts of different colors. I would certainly enjoy the next version of the M in a titanium finish.

I agree that they need to get with the program and upgrade the sensor in the M8 etc. but still, if you have been responsible for the livelihood of employees, you have to at least consider that these special editions are a good thing.