Where to R lenses ROMd

dritz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Making an assumption that the R10 will benefit from ROMd lenses, thought I would beat the rush. Is there an alternative to sending them to NJ in the US? Just a couple of lenses: 35 cron, 135 elmarit, and 100 APO.

Thanks.

Making an assumption that the R10 will benefit from ROMd lenses, thought I would beat the rush. Is there an alternative to sending them to NJ in the US? Just a couple of lenses: 35 cron, 135 elmarit, and 100 APO.

Thanks.

Dean:

I think NJ is probably the only place in the USA and the cheapest option, maybe not the quickest. I had a few lenses done by Kindermann in Toronto when I was there for a few days last year. They were a bit more expensive, but did it in a day. They were probably only more expensive because their pricing was probably based upon a much weaker USD/CAD exchange rate from the past.

I think the ROM process is probably only done by Leica service centers. In my case, Kindermann had to dig out an old computer to run the software for programming the ROM chip. I assume this software and the hardware to talk to the ROM chip was a proprietary Leica product, only available to the national ditributors, which Kinderman was in the 1990's.

As Andy mentioned, I tested ROM and non-rom on the DMR using a 19mm and there was vignette and cyan vignette correction going on, similar to what the M8 does with coded lenses.

Robert

Thanks for the suggestions. It seems that it makes sense only to ROM the wide-angle lenses. For me, it would be the 35 'cron. Thanks for the advice. I'll go that way... while there's a lull in Leica's activities at NJ (or, I assume there is).

Dean

It's not just the vignetting characteristics associated with a particular lens model (which is not at all to belitle Ropert P's authoritative and conclusive experiments in this area!). The ROM chip is programmed with information specific to that actual individual sample of the lens (aperture dynamics for instance). Personally, since getting a Metz MZ54, I have found the focal length transmission to the camera and on to the flashgun also to be very useful. Given this, it's hardly surprising that the measurements and subsequent chip-burning have to be undertaken at a main Leica service centre.