Sign in to follow this  
Guest malland

Received my new M8.2 today...and a question

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Mitch

Love that last shot of the trees !!

The 21 1.4 didn't seem to have the weight of either a 75 or a nocti in my subjective opinion - it's shorter and balances well and the focus throw seemed quick and precise - the shots above were taken at 1.4

I certainly wasn't put off by the weight - subjectively I thought that it was only about as heavy as my 35 chrome Summicron and I'd feel very comfortable with it on camera in the street. It seemed quite easy to get oof effects with the lens wide open. The problem I had with it was the cost - that having been said, the $ / £ might be in your favour if you bought in England !!

Thanks, Robert.

Looks like the Summilux-21 is about $1,400 cheaper in the UK than in the US. And, of course I have a problem with the cost as well. The weight makes it easier to resist an impulse purchase!

But I think, in view of the fact that I didn't much like carrying the Noctilux or the Summilux-75 on my M6 I should wait to see how the lens feels on the M8. BTW, I never took to the Noctilux, mainly because I don't like points of light becoming globules. As for the Summilux-75, it does have what most people would characterize as "good bokeh", but for the sort of rough (un-exquisite) look that I have been wanting for the last few years this bokeh was too smooth. But the main problem for me was the difficulty of focusing at f/1.0 and the long focus throw that was inconvenient for street photography.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

Just a thought but have you tried the 75 Summarit for weight and Bokeh - it also seems to have a newer focussing cam which maybe is more suited to the M8

Guest malland

Robert, no I haven't tried it. But my favorite EFOV are 21, 28 and 40mm. A 75mm with an EFOV of 100mm is a light telephoto, which a lot a people like for portraits. I don't really like to shoot portraits with an EFOV of more than 50mm; but even a 50mm lens with an EFOV of 67mm feels like a telephoto to me.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Guest malland

As I suppose that some new M8 owners are likely to read this thread, I thought I should mention that I just re-read all of Sean Reid's review articles on the M8 and M8.2. These articles on Sean's pay site, with which I have no connection except as a subscriber, are an invaluable source of information for new M8 owners.

One aspect that struck me was Sean's statement that M8 files taken at lower ISOs are more like scanned medium format film rather than 35mm film, which is demonstrated in some of the photographs accompanying the review. This is something that I have not yet explored, as in my initial pictures with the M8.2 posted in this thread I was trying to go for the rather rough version of the "35mm aesthetic" that I have been producing with my Ricoh GRD2. In other words, I was experimenting in roughing up the M8 files in order to produce the "un-exquisite" that I often like, although many people may not like this style.

Looking at some of Sean's M8 pictures, however, makes me want to explore the medium format look that he illustrates in his M8 reviews. Interestingly, I also liked his M8 colour pictures, and may be trying some of that as well, seeing the beautiful colours that this camera can produce. The trouble with that is that bought the M8.2 with the idea of doing only B&W with it and was not planning on coding my lenses, which are in Bangkok, or in using IR filters. Seems like the firmware lens identification proposal that I have been fighting for in another thread could really be useful for me, but let's not deal with that in this thread...

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the picture and article comments, first of all. One consolation about the current situation is that coded lenses are quick and simple to use. I rarely set my M8s to anything other than "On + IR/UV". They pretty much stay set there and the filters mostly stay on the lenses.

Which uncoded lenses do you have with you now? From John Milich you can get an LT-M8 for the CV 15 and a milled replacement bayonet for the Zeiss 18. Neither of those necessarily requires you to send your lenses anywhere.

Even though I support and have advocated for a lens selection menu, I personally would not use one very often (maybe only with some test lenses). All my personal lenses are coded (factory or with milled bayonets/adapters).

Finding the great LTM lenses is handy because they can all be durably coded with an LT-M8. The new CV lenses are starting to have a recessed groove in the bayonet (in the right spot for coding marks). With the Zeiss lenses, step one is sometimes checking to see if John has a replacement bayonet available.

Once in a great while I also like to give the camera its head and shoot color unfiltered - letting the shifts go where they will. But I'm really not a color photographer outside of commercial work.

Cheers,

Sean

Just a thought but have you tried the 75 Summarit for weight and Bokeh - it also seems to have a newer focussing cam which maybe is more suited to the M8

My experience of the 75mm Summarit is too new really to make meaningful comment. However, my first impression is that it is well suited to the M8 (or earlier Ms). It is fairly compact and has a short but effect focus rotation. One possible downside is that the lens hood is a separate purchase and screws into the lens. That means that it stays in place making the unit longer. You can unscrew it and reverse it when packed. The lens comes in a soft draw-string soft bag which is big enough to take the lens with hood fitted.

First test shots give no cause for concern. Even at full aperture indoors it seems to give a worthy performance. I am told that when stopped down it performs as well as its more expensive brother. I am not able to confirm that claim.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

......Once in a great while I also like to give the camera its head and shoot color unfiltered - letting the shifts go where they will......

Hi Sean - Is there an article fermenting? I recall some coastal images you made without filtration [CV 40mm?] and they had a delightful colour quality. It's a tempting proposition to dump the filters and return to the interpretative way of working I used as a colour neg. printer; somehow digital work has me caught up in a 'safe' way of working - so I use IR filtration. Maybe I should be less chicken and 'go for it'.

............... Chris

Hi Mitch,

I also own a GRD2 and I like the 28mm perspective for street and general use. My M8 has a cron 2.0 28mm on it a lot of the time and I find I can get what I want from the lens for street. This is one of Leicas best lenses from a standpoint of optics and size. I think it will become your favorite lens. You can not go wrong with this investment. The only thing that might be better is the 28 cron on a FF m8. That would be perfect for my style.

I am waiting for my 21 lux. Thee one thing I miss is the perspective that the GRD2 had at EF of 28mm. I hope to get it back with the 21 Lux and again, when the FF M8 arrives, we will have true EF of 21 and 28!

I also have the TriElamr 15/18/21. It is optically a fantastic lens. Only gripe is that is a little hard to wheel around on the M8 for me. The ergonomics just don't feel right. But, it takes great pictures at 16mm, and that is how I mostly use the lens. I don't think you would find this lens resonates at all with your free flowing style. But, I'll keep it for now. Oh, did I mention it is slow, f4.

28 Cron and the 21lux are your lenses. And, they will migrate to FF like a dream for you in a year or two.

My experience of the 75mm Summarit is too new really to make meaningful comment. However, my first impression is that it is well suited to the M8 (or earlier Ms). It is fairly compact and has a short but effect focus rotation. One possible downside is that the lens hood is a separate purchase and screws into the lens. That means that it stays in place making the unit longer. You can unscrew it and reverse it when packed. The lens comes in a soft draw-string soft bag which is big enough to take the lens with hood fitted.

First test shots give no cause for concern. Even at full aperture indoors it seems to give a worthy performance. I am told that when stopped down it performs as well as its more expensive brother. I am not able to confirm that claim.

It doesn't need to be stopped down at all to perform extremely well. That's a new wives tale that one also hears about some CV lenses. It is rarely true.

Cheers,

Sean

Hi Sean - Is there an article fermenting? I recall some coastal images you made without filtration [CV 40mm?] and they had a delightful colour quality. It's a tempting proposition to dump the filters and return to the interpretative way of working I used as a colour neg. printer; somehow digital work has me caught up in a 'safe' way of working - so I use IR filtration. Maybe I should be less chicken and 'go for it'.

............... Chris

Hi Chris,

No article per se but you have a great memory. The beach pictures were exactly where I was playing with that - letting the color go wherever it wanted to go. So, yes, maybe try it and see what happens. One danger of digital (and of forums, etc.) is that we can get too caught up in the technically conventional "perfect" file.

Cheers,

S

Guest malland
...One consolation about the current situation is that coded lenses are quick and simple to use. I rarely set my M8s to anything other than "On + IR/UV"...

Which uncoded lenses do you have with you now? From John Milich you can get an LT-M8 for the CV 15 and a milled replacement bayonet for the Zeiss 18. Neither of those necessarily requires you to send your lenses anywhere.

Even though I support and have advocated for a lens selection menu, I personally would not use one very often (maybe only with some test lenses). All my personal lenses are coded (factory or with milled bayonets/adapters).

Finding the great LTM lenses is handy because they can all be durably coded with an LT-M8. The new CV lenses are starting to have a recessed groove in the bayonet (in the right spot for coding marks). With the Zeiss lenses, step one is sometimes checking to see if John has a replacement bayonet available.

Once in a great while I also like to give the camera its head and shoot color unfiltered - letting the shifts go where they will. But I'm really not a color photographer outside of commercial work...

Sean:

If I were regularly shooing colour and needed coding, I would have my lenses coded for the convenience as well. I have been pushing for the lens selection menu because I thought I would need the effect coding only occasionally and because my lenses are in Bangkok. And I also feel that the lens menu alternative is the right thing for Leica to do for their customers — I don't understand why some people seem to feel that it has to be one or the other.

I have the CV15 and the Zeiss 18 here, and am waiting to receive the Summicron-28, which will come coded. I'll have to decide whether to buy from Millich the LT-M8 and the mount for the Zeiss 18, and I suppose I could also get a replacement mount for my Elmarit-21 ASPH, is that correct?

As for IR filters, I have two that I can get free from Leica stemming from my M8.2 purchase. I guess I'll order a 46mm for the Summicron-28 and a 60mm for my Elmarit-21 ASPH.

As I said, I got interested in possibly doing colour with the M8 only when I saw the quality of the colour in your pictures, and also when decided to stick with colour in the picture I posted in post #68 above. But basically I like B&W.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Guest malland
...28 Cron and the 21lux are your lenses. And, they will migrate to FF like a dream for you in a year or two.
Rick, as you may know, I'm waiting for the delivery of the Summicron-28, but have reservations, as I wrote in another thread, about the 590 gram weight of the Summilux-21, which is virtually the same as that of the Summilux-75 and the Noctilox, both of which I found ungainly to carry on an M6 although they balanced fine when actually shooting. For that reason I may stick with my Elmarit-21 ASPH — not to speak of the price.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Guest malland
...The beach pictures were exactly where I was playing with that - letting the color go wherever it wanted to go. So, yes, maybe try it and see what happens. One danger of digital (and of forums, etc.) is that we can get too caught up in the technically conventional "perfect" file
Sean:

Letting the colour fall where it may is an interesting idea, as in my colour picture above, in which I like the colour but have fixed some spots and reduced noise slightly in Dfine, as you can see below.

You can say that again, about getting caught up with technical perfection with digital — and losing the beauty of the "35mm aesthetic" and, possibly, the soul of a picture.

Leica M8.2 | ISO1250 | CV15 lens

/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/3215673231_47344c67b0_o.jpg&key=63fda493bc4e94a6e2d81a9f2b8354f5600bc729be4dd06b4551b416e4468c56">

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Sean:

If I were regularly shooing colour and needed coding, I would have my lenses coded for the convenience as well. I have been pushing for the lens selection menu because I thought I would need the effect coding only occasionally and because my lenses are in Bangkok. And I also feel that the lens menu alternative is the right thing for Leica to do for their customers — I don't understand why some people seem to feel that it has to be one or the other.

I have the CV15 and the Zeiss 18 here, and am waiting to receive the Summicron-28, which will come coded. I'll have to decide whether to buy from Millich the LT-M8 and the mount for the Zeiss 18, and I suppose I could also get a replacement mount for my Elmarit-21 ASPH, is that correct?

As for IR filters, I have two that I can get free from Leica stemming from my M8.2 purchase. I guess I'll order a 46mm for the Summicron-28 and a 60mm for my Elmarit-21 ASPH.

As I said, I got interested in possibly doing colour with the M8 only when I saw the quality of the colour in your pictures, and also when decided to stick with colour in the picture I posted in post #68 above. But basically I like B&W.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Hi Mitch,

You know that I understand why you wanted the menu. I don't shoot much color either because I am basically, at heart, a BW photographer. I don't really know enough about color to use it well.

I know that you can get a Milich bayonet for the 18 but check with John on the 21. I can't recall which ones he's done so far.

Cheers,

S

Mitch,

I have the 75 Lux and I love the lens. But, for street, I agree, it is just not weighted right for me. I think that it suits Tina Manley well because her style is a more deliberate style.

My 28 cron is almost perfect. It is fast to focus and at 2.0 it is ok for night shooting. You will really like this lens. It will also render that gritty look of your style. My only reservation is that I have found 28mm on the M8 to be a little tight for street. It is great for restaurant type stuff. I am really holding on to it in hopes of FF.

Ultimately, I like the TriElmar set to 16mm which of course is 21mm. This, I find to be great for fast and crowded scenes and it is a great city-scape lens. The problem is that the TriElmar is a little slow and it is also not a free flowing lens with the M8, IMHO.

I am in Playa del Carmen right now and I'm finding I'm shooting the 16mm TriElmar a lot and wishing for a 21/lux/1.4 on a FF M8. Oh well, I have something new to look forward to. Or maybe, I need a prime 15 now? Here is the TriElmar at 16. Not gritty, more luxurious (I forgot what you cal it).

Hi Mitch,

You know that I understand why you wanted the menu. I don't shoot much color either because I am basically, at heart, a BW photographer. I don't really know enough about color to use it well.

I know that you can get a Milich bayonet for the 18 but check with John on the 21. I can't recall which ones he's done so far.

Cheers,

S

I'm currently having Don Goldberg (DAG) code my 35 lux asph and 24 asph. He sends the original mounts to Milich and he drills the slots and sends them back to Don. All for the amazing price of $75. Don will also be adjusting the focus on my 35 lux. Not sure how easy it is to swap the Leica mounts yourself. There may be shims etc that aren't on the Zeiss lenses.

The mount for the Zeiss 18 took me all of about a minute to swap out. Well worth having the coding. To me the M8 has become all about color. Most people know or think of me as a b&w photographer but the M8 color is so good (jury is out on some facial tones though) that my next large project will be in color with the M8.

BTW, I put a B&W 58mm UV/IR filter on my 18 (Leica doesn't make a 58). I found that FOR ME with the WATE coding of 18 it overcorrected some and I ended up with slightly pink corners. I then coded it as a 21 asph and it seemed right on. Plus I didn't have to deal with the WATE menu coming up each time I mounted it. Best to test yourself though.

Guest malland
...I am in Playa del Carmen right now and I'm finding I'm shooting the 16mm TriElmar a lot and wishing for a 21/lux/1.4 on a FF M8. Oh well, I have something new to look forward to. Or maybe, I need a prime 15 now? Here is the TriElmar at 16. Not gritty, more luxurious (I forgot what you cal it).]
Very nice picture. I'd call the look "exquisite" <g>.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Guest malland
I'm currently having Don Goldberg (DAG) code my 35 lux asph and 24 asph. He sends the original mounts to Milich and he drills the slots and sends them back to Don. All for the amazing price of $75...
In other words, no mount swapping. How long does it take?

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

In other words, no mount swapping. How long does it take?

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

I sent them in mid-Dec, and he's still waiting on the mounts to come back. But sounds like it should be any day now. So I would allow a couple of months. A PITA I know, but welcome to the world of the M8! (I would rather have Don do it anyway. The one lens I sent to Leica for coding - my 28 cron - I got back with a 24 mount after 8 weeks. I was pissed.)