Guest malland

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spent a half an hour trying to find how to access the Picture Parameters menu

I'm absolutely stunned that people do not find this..how many buttons are there to press

maybe it is the advantage of being a technical guy...I just press buttons instead of reading the manual...:D

I had the M8 figured out in 5min and out shooting with it

Guest malland

As I've only been able to shoot in the evening and in dark restaurant's I've had to continue to shoot mainly at ISO 2500 and find I'm liking this camera — and it will be great eventually to use the M-lenses I have in Bangkok but that will be in May. Here's another shot at ISO 2500 with the Elmarit-21 (pre-ASPH), which the subject liked:

3202603665_aa400303e7_o.jpg

On another subject, I'm not going to code any of my lenses because, for the time being, I expect only to be doing B&W, and considering the "botheration" factor involved in coding. But, am I missing something in thinking that this whole coding thing is brain-dead, as that all it does is to identify the lens to the camera? On my Nikon D300 this is done simply by entering the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens — a user entering facility like that could simply be done for the M8 through a firmware upgrade. I read somewhere that Leica has said that they did it through coding because the user "could enter the data incorrectly". If true, that is really silly! Isn't is time for a Leica M8 user revolt on coding?

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

Mitch, you've missed a long debate and are probably the better off for it. There are a number of things which could be done in firmware to ease the transition from a totally mechanical camera (M6, MP) to the M8 without leaving all the lenses behind. Leica chose the options that support their own lenses and leave all the alternatives from Zeiss, Cosina or others unsupported. The support is actually pretty nice, full de-vignetting for b/w work and lighter corrections with good green corner elimination for those using the UV/IR filters.

Since Leica's engineering people seem to be basically straight talkers, they have avoided saying much about why they choose not to offer more, but marketing hopes seem to be the most consistent explanation. And at present, the company's focus seems to be on new products like the S2.

scott

As I've only been able to shoot in the evening and in dark restaurant's I've had to continue to shoot mainly at ISO 2500 and find I'm liking this camera — and it will be great eventually to use the M-lenses I have in Bangkok but that will be in May. Here's another shot at ISO 2500 with the Elmarit-21 (pre-ASPH), which the subject liked

On another subject, I'm not going to code any of my lenses because, for the time being, I expect only to be doing B&W, and considering the "botheration" factor involved in coding. But, am I missing something in thinking that this whole coding thing is brain-dead, as that all it does is to identify the lens to the camera? On my Nikon D300 this is done simply by entering the focal length and maximum aperture of the lens — a user entering facility like that could simply be done for the M8 through a firmware upgrade. I read somewhere that Leica has said that they did it through coding because the user "could enter the data incorrectly". If true, that is really silly! Isn't is time for a Leica M8 user revolt on coding?

—Mitch/Paris

Mitch,

As Scott says, you missed many debates on the lens detection menu. I've written about the idea since the camera was released (citing the Nikon comparison as well) and encouraged Leica to implement it during many different discussions. So far they've decided not to add this option even though it makes so much sense.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...I've written about the idea since the camera was released (citing the Nikon comparison as well) and encouraged Leica to implement it during many different discussions. So far they've decided not to add this option even though it makes so much sense...
Absolutely, this coding fiasco — that is the correct word for it — just shows that Leica has inadequate and inapporpriate customer orientation which, it seems to me, doesn't augur well for the company's future because it shows insufficient customer orientation or just plain lack of intelligence on the part of the Leica executives who made this decision and, more importantly, who now still hold out against doing the right and reasonable thing. This is pretty much a black and white matter, not a question of shades of gray. When a company forces customers to go through so much trouble for something so simple to do in the firmware it leaves a bad taste.

Has there been any attempt to send a letter to Leica or to Andreas Kaufmann signed by as many Leica users as possible? If not it's high time to do so.

—Mitch/Paris

don't forget the uv/ir cut filters and 6-bit coding for the new wide angle lenses??? i didn't see any mention of these two "required" subjects with the m8, hence my little reminder. ;)

i'm sure you'll enjoy both the 15 and 18mm on the m8!

greetings from hamburg

rick

Guest malland

Here are two more pictures, this time at ISO640 (with the Summilux-50 pre-ASPH). These have been heavily beat up in Aperture/SilverEfex — something I could never do so aggressively with the GRD2. They first one has had a lot of grain added, using the SilverEfex Tmax 3200 preset. Incidentally, since I'm used to shooting with the 21/28/50mm EFOV, the Summilux-50, with a 67mm EFOV, feels like a telephoto,

3203928466_7f3e2df9b0_o.jpg

3203119581_9060b71e04_o.jpg

3204007818_d6c7c1de39_o.jpg

—Mitch/Paris

Guest malland
don't forget the uv/ir cut filters and 6-bit coding for the new wide angle lenses??? i didn't see any mention of these two "required" subjects with the m8, hence my little reminder.
Rick, that's because, for the time being, I intend to use this camera for B&W only and won't need that (hated) IR filters.

—Mitch/Paris

Mitch--

I also have followed some of your work over time, and its good to see you enjoying the benefits of the M8. I think that, when you get your other lenses shipped, you'll be more than pleased. Also, I have begun to explore some of the very early lenses with adaptors [e.g 50 mm Summar for portraits, taking care not to collapse] and this is opening up lots of possibilities.

For a grip--I echo the praise of the Thumbs-up. It gives a secure grip, and Mod. 1 falls about where the advance lever does on my film-M's. I use the included Leica strap, all my others having found their way into drawers and bins.

As for ISO settings and EV settings, in clubs where there is a good bit of contrast, and generally dark environs, I find that ISO 640 or 1250 with a setting of - 1 2/3 EV works well for me. Otherwise, -2/3 EV if lighting is less contrasty. I then may further add some grain emulation using the DXO Filmpack plugin. Attached are a couple of examples of the former situation, both @ ISO 1250, with grain added [P3200 emulation].

Re filters, I think Sean has observed elsewhere that there is a slightly different "look" to B&W without the IR cut filters. I've been back and forth about this in my own work, and I think in conditions like the shots attached, there is a hair better edge sharpness with them, but they're hardly necessary.

Enjoy the new camera--

Norm

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Absolutely, this coding fiasco — that is the correct word for it — just shows that Leica has inadequate and inapporpriate customer orientation which, it seems to me, doesn't augur well for the company's future because it shows insufficient customer orientation or just plain lack of intelligence on the part of the Leica executives who made this decision and, more importantly, who now still hold out against doing the right and reasonable thing. This is pretty much a black and white matter, not a question of shades of gray. When a company forces customers to go through so much trouble for something so simple to do in the firmware it leaves a bad taste.

Has there been any attempt to send a letter to Leica or to Andreas Kaufmann signed by as many Leica users as possible? If not it's high time to do so.

—Mitch/Paris

Mitch,

There have been various efforts, my own included. Leica just has not chosen to add this and I don't see it happening any time soon. You're discovering a debate that has been one of the most contentious on the site. Some people were aggressively against the addition of this feature and wrote letters to Leica encouraging that they *not* add it.

Cheers,

Sean

Guest malland

Sean, because I think this matter is simply outrageous I'm going to put up a petition to Leica and Andreas Kaufmann that people can "sign" online on a website that supports petitions. Leica simply should not behave this way toward it's customers — and if they do the company should not be supported.

Once I get the basic petition done perhaps someone can translate it into German for that portion of LUF.

—Mitch/Paris

Mitch,

I've seen your shots on Flikr and they're VERY impressive. Now maybe it's me (and maybe it's due to the smaller size of the flikr) but I swear the results from the Ricoh GRD are better than the examples with your new M8. Sorry.

Peter

(And yes I'm prepared to get rained on in a hail of angry responses as a result of this post. So, for the record, I've always been a big fan of Leitz and Leitz products. :) )

Just how do you turn off the AA filter that is built into the cover glass of the sensor.

I think you are slightly confused.

FYI- For a few bucks the AA filter can be history on a D300, mine is going in as a matter of fact. :)

Mitch- I have enjoyed your photography and I am sure you'll love the M8.2. Get a feel for it, the "thickness" will feel natural soon. It's a terrific tool and I look forward to seeing your usage over time.

Kent

Mitch,

I've seen your shots on Flikr and they're VERY impressive. Now maybe it's me (and maybe it's due to the smaller size of the flikr) but I swear the results from the Ricoh GRD are better than the examples with your new M8. Sorry.

Peter

(And yes I'm prepared to get rained on in a hail of angry responses as a result of this post. So, for the record, I've always been a big fan of Leitz and Leitz products. :) )

Give Mitch a little more time and let him get back to home turf as well and see what you think.

Cheers,

Sean