Sign in to follow this  
Guest malland

Received my new M8.2 today...and a question

Guest malland
...I've seen your shots on Flikr and they're VERY impressive. Now maybe it's me (and maybe it's due to the smaller size of the flikr) but I swear the results from the Ricoh GRD are better than the examples with your new M8...
Peter:

Thanks, that's a valuable comment and I hope you and others will continue to let me know what you think. Indeed, it may turn out to be true that I may be able to make better photographs with the GRD2 than with the M8 — at this stage after shooting with the latter for only a couple of days, a couple of hours really, and using borrowed lenses, I simply don't know. It would also be helpful for you to say how you think my GRD2 shots are better, as there may be things that I won't be aware of as quickly as you and others, who are dispassionate observers.

The other thing is, as Sean suggests, that the the GRD2 pictures have a different locale and subject matter, Bangkok. My own views is that I like the first two shots in post #50, the woman's profile in the Metro and the rainy street scene, so I am optimistic about the M8, which I like using.

Here are some shots with the GRD and the GX100 that I've taken in Paris and the Sologne that should be more comparable:

Paris

Chartres and the Loire - a set on Flickr

The trouble is that today I'm leaving for Washington, where I'll be until April, a place where I haven't been particularly inspired to photograph — and I won't be getting back to Bangkok until May. In any case I'm taking the M8 to Washington and leaving the GRD2 in Paris. Here a few more M8 shots from yesterday with the Summilux-50 (pre-ASPH). In the TIFF files I see a richer detail and tonality and better textures than with the GRD3, but that may not show as much in the JPGs here.

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

Guest stnami

Mitch maybe temper the harshness and structure a bit

Guest stnami

Not really but with everything so harsh(sharp) the mid ground gets all muddled up and stops the eyes from dancing around the image. It all becomes staid with nowhere to go .............something has to balance the high tonal contrast

They look like they were shot on film to me (a good thing imo) vs the Ricoh which I could almost always tell was small sensor converted. That extra sensor real estate makes a big difference with the tonal transitions. A good investment I think.

mitch, when i look at your paris set i keep wondering if it was you i saw on the republique platform last month- w m6?

which washington, east coast or west coast?

and to keep it really relevant, i have enjoyed looking at your portfolios- wide angle b&w street- love it.

Guest malland
...with everything so harsh(sharp) the mid ground gets all muddled up and stops the eyes from dancing around the image. It all becomes staid with nowhere to go .............something has to balance the high tonal contrast
Interesting, Imants. I'll have to experiment with this. I just arrived the land of the septics and found the VC15 that I ordered from Camera quest is here, so tomorrow I'll start shooting at 20mm EFOV without a viewfinder because it comes with the 15mm viewfinder.

Charles, thank for the comment.

mitch, when i look at your paris set i keep wondering if it was you i saw on the republique platform last month- w m6?

which washington, east coast or west coast?

and to keep it really relevant, i have enjoyed looking at your portfolios- wide angle b&w street- love it.

No, in December I was in Bangkok. Thanks for the kind words on the pictures. I'm on the East Coast now.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Guest malland

Here's a picture with my new CV15, which I like quite a lot. It's taken in a Cuban restaurant and just doesn't work in B&W — not because of the interesting color of the restaurant but also because it was underexposed and therefore is very flat in B&W:

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Hi Mitch

I've actually shot some frames with the new 21mm 1.4 and I suspect that other than the cost, you will love it.

I personally go with the Leica camera protector, which gives extra grip (and protection), although it is inconvenient when it comes to change cards or batteries. Maybe based on your earlier post you ought to try one of the 'Thumbs Up' devices, which although I've not tried it myself, apparently works well.

Normally I run my M8 at between -1/3 to -2/3 stops all the time.

Mitch

It's a sort of half case, so it may not suit you but I fund it gives adequate extra grip, as well as keeping the camera a little safer - the biggest problem is that you have to remove it to take the card or battery out of the camera.

Hope you don't mind me posting on your thread but here are three frames, taken hurriedly with the M8 and 21 1.4 a few months ago

Guest malland

Robert:

I just looked at the data sheet on the Summilux-21 and found that it weighs 580 grams, which puts it at virtually the same weight as the Summilux-75 and almost as heavy as the penultimate version of the Noctilux. Although the latter two lenses, both of which I've sold, balanced reasonable well on the M6, it made for an excessively heavy unit. As much as I would like to have f/1.4 at 21mm for the M8 I don't want such a heavy camera. I'll probably just use my Elmarit-21 ASPH, which weighs 290 grams

BTW, is the focus throw on the Summilux-21 long, the way it was on the Summilux-75 and the Noctilux? The long focus throw of the latter two lenses made them problematic for street photography.

I am now looking forward to the Summicron-28 that I have ordered, which weighs 270 grams.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Flickr: Mitch Alland's Photostream

Mitch,

Did you ever get the 18? I think a shot as above would be even better though not quite as wide (just lean back a bit more:D ) you can isolate the focus a bit more and make sure your subject is in focus (esp close in) thanks to the coupled rf (your friend looks a bit fuzzy compared to the rest of the restaurant).

I highly recommend the Thumbs Up. I found it gave me about another stop of speed in steadiness. I have the one with the cold shoe for a finder.

The 21 f/1.4 is interesting but way too expensive for me. The weight wouldn't be a problem for me, just price. Oh well.

CP

Guest malland

Charles,

I received the Zeiss 18 yesterday — it's in great shape. I like the CV 15 and figure that I can estimate closu-up focus. The picture above I feel is soft more from camera shake from slow shutter speed than from the focus being off, as the background is somewhat soft also.

I've been looking at Thumbs Up and find the descriptions on their website somewhat confusing: of course I'm interested in one with the cold shoe but can't really figure out the real difference between CSEP-1 and the CS-3. Which one do you have?

So, until May, when I get back to Bangkok, I'll be using the CV16, Zeiss 18 and the Summicron-28. I'll sell my old Elmarit-28 and keep the Elmarit-21 ASPH, Summictron-35 v4 and Summilux-50 pre-ASPH, but I don't like to carry or use more than three lenses at a time. I probably wouldn't have bought Summicron-28 except that the price from the UK is more than $1,000 cheaper than in the States and when I ordered it I only had the CV15 here. I'll rationalize all this when I get back to Bangkok in May. Currently my favorite EFOV are 21, 28 and 40mm.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Charles,

I received the Zeiss 18 yesterday — it's in great shape. I like the CV 15 and figure that I can estimate closu-up focus. The picture above I feel is soft more from camera shake from slow shutter speed than from the focus being off, as the background is somewhat soft also.

I've been looking at Thumbs Up and find the descriptions on their website somewhat confusing: of course I'm interested in one with the cold shoe but can't really figure out the real difference between CSEP-1 and the CS-3. Which one do you have?

So, until May, when I get back to Bangkok, I'll be using the CV16, Zeiss 18 and the Summicron-28. I'll sell my old Elmarit-28 and keep the Elmarit-21 ASPH, Summictron-35 v4 and Summilux-50 pre-ASPH, but I don't like to carry or use more than three lenses at a time. I probably wouldn't have bought Summicron-28 except that the price from the UK is more than $1,000 cheaper than in the States and when I ordered it I only had the CV15 here. I'll rationalize all this when I get back to Bangkok in May. Currently my favorite EFOV are 21, 28 and 40mm.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

I have the model 1 which is best for bigger hands and is considered pretty normal as to where the mechanical winder of the M6/7 would stick out. The Model 3 is for smaller hands I guess or if you prefer to grip the camera more towards the right edge. Best thing to do is to look at the pictures and then see where your thumb falls most comfortably on your M8 and compare. I'm pretty sure it will be model 1.

The 28 cron is my favorite lens and seems much wider than you would think. I use it sans hood and it makes a nice little everyday lens.

CP

Guest malland

Thanks, Charles.

The Zeiss 18 looks like a great lens. Here are a couple of pictures taken with it. The first is from the same Cuban restaurant I went to yesterday (to try the Sandwich Cubano, which is excellent), but this picture is better in B&W than in color (ISO 1250) and shows the somewhat shallower DOF (at f/4.0) than that of the CV15 (at f/4.5), both focused at about 1 meter ; the second one is at ISO 320:

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Nice. Yeah, the 18 has a lot more microcontrast then the CVs and should pop more in the shadows than the 15. Of course it's a much chunkier lens too.

That looks like a great restaurant, though when I'm in Paris I almost only eat French. Not something I can do (at east cheaply) on a daily basis here in Seattle.

Robert:

I just looked at the data sheet on the Summilux-21 and found that it weighs 580 grams, which puts it at virtually the same weight as the Summilux-75 and almost as heavy as the penultimate version of the Noctilux. Although the latter two lenses, both of which I've sold, balanced reasonable well on the M6, it made for an excessively heavy unit. As much as I would like to have f/1.4 at 21mm for the M8 I don't want such a heavy camera. I'll probably just use my Elmarit-21 ASPH, which weighs 290 grams

BTW, is the focus throw on the Summilux-21 long, the way it was on the Summilux-75 and the Noctilux? The long focus throw of the latter two lenses made them problematic for street photography.

I am now looking forward to the Summicron-28 that I have ordered, which weighs 270 grams.

—Mitch/Potomac, MD

Hi Mitch

Love that last shot of the trees !!

The 21 1.4 didn't seem to have the weight of either a 75 or a nocti in my subjective opinion - it's shorter and balances well and the focus throw seemed quick and precise - the shots above were taken at 1.4

I certainly wasn't put off by the weight - subjectively I thought that it was only about as heavy as my 35 chrome Summicron and I'd feel very comfortable with it on camera in the street. It seemed quite easy to get oof effects with the lens wide open. The problem I had with it was the cost - that having been said, the $ / £ might be in your favour if you bought in England !!

Guest malland
That looks like a great restaurant, though when I'm in Paris I almost only eat French. Not something I can do (at east cheaply) on a daily basis here in Seattle.
Charles, I'm in the States now and that restaurant is in Rockville, MD...

—Mitch/Potomac, MD