Ok I am getting a little frustrated!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

But I still find hard to believe in Newsweek magazine office there is nobody who is enough expert with digital workflow that can adjust the colour. Also I find strange that he is having problem with such severity on M8.2. I can believe with old firmware on some M8 of last year, it can be possible to have bizarre colour what is not able to fix by mortal human :D but not from late firmware or M8.2 to have PURPLE skin. I still have to believe it is a defect of some type. Either of ways, someone who is a professional photojournalist with credentials of Newsweek magazine and has at his disposal their staff of workflow experts, I would believe even if he cannot figure how to correct it himself (or decide if it is a defective camera) he would know enough to offer to provide a DNG for someone to help. Something is fishy.

Ha! I've had more magazines screw up my pics than render them better. Nobody counts on that. Are you an editorial shooter by chance?

I get very purple skin every so often, but it's usually iso 640 and up and under a certain kind of tungsten. Very difficult to correct. Otherwise I find not that bad.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to the OP, grab us a sample and post it. Until that occurs all we can do is pull random ideas out of our bums unfortunately. Heck, it could be something extremely simple or it could be a extremely severe. At this point this thread has no value to anyone and is simply fueling an overly negative atmosphere towards the m8.

Dear OP,

Don't you think one week is a little bit too short of a timespan to start learning the m8.2, since you're talking about a pretty important assignment? Why don't you stick with the 5d for the Obama shot? you're happy with it, why bother about the leica? The white house is famous for their bad suit taste so a lot of magenta there(might give an interesting shot though for the fashion critics...)

I did not know that the canon 10d also had a magenta problem 5 years ago, inform me about it. sorry that non of those editors at Getty were able to help you out with the m8...if those experienced guys are not able to solve your problem, there must be something wrong with the m8 in general, like you said. I am going to sell it t'row.. Now that I look very well at my photos I see magenta everywhere.....;-)

Anyway, "Charles", I am no lawyer or a doctor but I do work with a lot of professional photographers, so I repeat: next week, when you have the Obama shoot, leave the m8 at home! Then, next christmas, take your m8 again (no Lexar cards!) and try making some family snaps. If they still turn out magenta, I am sure you can ask newsweek (or is Getty your direct employer? i am confused) to help you out with some new gear...

Good Luck, Jochem

Jamie,

A significant improvement over what I posted. Of course I was only selecting the built in profiles and not doing any tweaking. While I probably couldn't do as well as you did I was usually able to get acceptable results. However, I have found, at least so far, that with the Nikon D90 I would get images that were closer and required less post processing, but the G1 produces the best looking skin out of the box often requiring no post processing or very little and really natural looking when I compare to the person in front of me.

Jamie,

A significant improvement over what I posted. Of course I was only selecting the built in profiles and not doing any tweaking. While I probably couldn't do as well as you did I was usually able to get acceptable results. However, I have found, at least so far, that with the Nikon D90 I would get images that were closer and required less post processing, but the G1 produces the best looking skin out of the box often requiring no post processing or very little and really natural looking when I compare to the person in front of me.

Hey John--

I can't speak to a G1 (the last G camera I owned, which I liked a lot, btw, was a G6) but I do shoot a D3 and it's quite nice. The D3, D700 and D90 all share the Nikon "I've got too much cyan in my skin" appearance which is different from the Canon "we have too much red".... but both of them will give more average results more often than any of the CCD-driven cameras (DMR, Phase, M8 and so on).

For the work I did on your file, I didn't tweak the profile at all--I just used the supplied C1 UV IR profile and then compensated for exposure (the shot was underexposed for skin) and white balance (which you have to do with a RAW file usually anyway). Then I took a little of the CCD contrast OUT--because you don't need the M8's detail and contrast in caucasian skin, usually (and not on a baby's skin).

See, one of the reasons I think the Canons and Nikons get more acceptable results is that the CMOS doesn't quite have the contrast and clarity of the CCD. Don't get me wrong, that's not a bad thing because adding those things in selectively is what a lot of us would prefer to do.

Ah well. M8 colour processing just isn't a point and click thing when the light isn't great (if it is, then yes, the M8 is as easy as anything else). But then Canon and Nikon have their own achilles' heels as well when it comes to light. Tungsten quite often plays havoc with all of them, IMO.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@ Hans--I'll send you a msg but it's interesting to see that you "cracked" LR for reds :) Occasionally I'm somewhere where all they have is PS or LightRoom :)

Hi Jamie,

It's not a matter of cracking anything. I don't use Lightroom but Aperture (which does a pretty good job converting M8 files).

I have tweaked the colors (the reds mainly) in ACR until they gave me good results with the M8 in Camera Raw. You can easily save your settings and use them on your M8 files. I have given up on Capture One because i don't like to have two different workflows.

Hi Jamie,

It's not a matter of cracking anything. I don't use Lightroom but Aperture (which does a pretty good job converting M8 files).

I have tweaked the colors (the reds mainly) in ACR until they gave me good results with the M8 in Camera Raw. You can easily save your settings and use them on your M8 files. I have given up on Capture One because i don't like to have two different workflows.

Hans could you send me your preset for ACR. I'd like to look at it and use it if I like it.

You can find my email address in my profile

Thanks