Low M8.2 cost in the UK?

Guest malland

Guest malland

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I read somewhere on the web that, owing to the drop in the value of the pound, and after the Leica and VAT rebates, one can buy an M8,2 in the UK for about US$3,000. Is this true and, if so, which reputable UK web store has the best price? I would have the camera shipped to Paris before leaving for the States this weekend.

I started to think about this after reading Sean Reid's review of the CV15, which would give me an EFOV of about 21mm, and keeping in mind that I have the Elmarit-21 ASPH, Elmarit 28, Summicron-35 (v4) and the Summilux-50 (last pre-ASPH), although the I would probably not use the latter much because the EFOV of 67mm is a bit long for me. (I also have a DR Summicron — is that still not usable on the M8.2?)

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

$3000 is still around £2000 or so, and there's no way that 8.2s are at that level.

You can buy a new M8 for around two thousand, and take 15% VAT off that too if you are outside the EU. That includes the rebate from Leica, but you will have to pay shipping and import duties, no doubt.

Have a look at the link through to Red Dot Cameras or Robert White at the top of the page for prices.

I read somewhere on the web that, owing to the drop in the value of the pound, and after the Leica and VAT rebates, one can buy an M8,2 in the UK for about US$3,000. Is this true...

No, it's untrue. The rebates only apply to the M8, not the M8.2. Ffordes are currently selling the M8.2 for £3890 - 5670 USD. Though you may be able to claim the VAT back if you are live outside of the EU. The VAT rate is 15%.

Just in general terms, if you can get cameras at this sort of price (especially if you or a friend are going to be in the UK in the next few days) it's worth it. Canon and Nikon have both put up prices dramatically for high end cameras, and Leica are due to be doing this in the UK soon according to a couple of dealers I've spoken to. There might never be a better moment to get an M8...

Guest malland

Thanks, everyone. I'm now leaning towards the M8.2, which I find I can get more cheaply in Paris and than in London.

As I don't live in the EC, I would get a VAT refund, which would make it cheaper than in New York as well. Probably will decide tomorrow.

—Mitch/Paris

Thanks, everyone. I'm now leaning towards the M8.2, which I find I can get more cheaply in Paris and than in London.

As I don't live in the EC, I would get a VAT refund, which would make it cheaper than in New York as well. Probably will decide tomorrow.

—Mitch/Paris

Will you not be liable for some import/custom duty on new camera equipment ?

Just received my M8.2 from the UK.

I can purchase without VAT and due to the low exchange rate of the British Pond I had to pay, (item was in stock before the value drop)

all extra costs included; shipping and exchange fee,

for a brand new Leica M8.2, full warranty, out of the box ....

.... 3713 euro's :):):)

It can be a great option if you live in the US. Right now, several dealers sell the M8.2, without VAT, for 3382 GBP. The dollar has fluctuated considerably against the pound over the past 3-4 weeks, but as of today, 3382 GBP corresponds to roughly $4950 USD--or, $1,050 less than I would expect to pay in the U.S. Delivery takes 3-5 days typically, and air shipping is about 57 GBP additional. Worst case scenario--you could be charged duty of about 3% as I understand it by US Customs, but even then, it's only an additional $150 or so, and you're still about $850 ahead.

With an out-of-warranty M8, and wanting the new shutter, sapphire screen, and framelines, ordering a new M8.2 at this price from the UK with a 2-year warranty was pretty much a no-brainer. If it continues, I would think that Leica USA may have to adjust the US price, or jack up the UK prices somewhat to even the playing field, but I have no idea how that really works.

—Mitch/Paris

A grey market one (not imported by Leica USA here costs about 5200 at Popflash in California. The cameras are not imported by Leica USA. Service has to be done via Solmes. Which would be good for you. I just checked their website

but could not quickly see any. Maybe It's me ... their website is "clunky " anyhow

You can get a new one M8.2 from Ken Hansen for about $54-5500

khpny19@aol.com

Maybe Europe is cheaper. Anyway Good Luck!

Rafael

Just received my M8.2 from the UK.

I can purchase without VAT and due to the low exchange rate of the British Pond I had to pay, (item was in stock before the value drop)

all extra costs included; shipping and exchange fee,

for a brand new Leica M8.2, full warranty, out of the box ....

.... 3713 euro's :):):)

This is about $4900, figure shipping, import duties .... someone said 3% figure like $275-$300 more

It could be bought (grey) here for that.

The nightmare about grey is that Leica New Jersey will not touch the camera with a fork.

But I agree now is the time to buy an M8 or M8.2.

Love my .2!

Guest malland

I'm not sure that Leica USA can refuse to service cameras bought outside the US. In the late 11980's, when I lived in Japan, I bought an M6 in Hong Kong and subsequently when I moved to the States I had no problem having is serviced by Leica New Jersey, They even did some work free, fixing something that was a manufacturing or design fault, a couple of years out of warranty. Now, however, I live in Bangkok and the grey market aspect would not be not an issue for me.

BTW, I made a mistake in my posting above: it was cheaper in the UK, from where I bought the M8.2 for £3,300 ex-VAT. which is equivalent to $4,800.

Now I'm having the usual "buyer's remorse" thinking about all the M8 issues such as no sensor cleaning facility on this camera, etc., although I'm consoling myself with the fact that I'll only use it for B&W...

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr