first gen 50 lux M mount question

E43 screw filter : UVIR filter available from B+W

Check this thread before you buy a B+W filter for this lens.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m8-forum/74720-free-filters-m8.html

According to one of the posts the 43mm thread pitch is different between the Leica and B+W filters and only the Leica is correct. I don't know if this is correct or not but it is worth checking out.

Len

E43 screw filter : UVIR filter available from B+W

No, this does not work as has been pointed out by Leonard also. Due to a different thread, you need original Leica. In some cases a B + W can be mounted, but then you cannot affix the hood any longer.

No, this does not work as has been pointed out by Leonard also. Due to a different thread, you need original Leica. In some cases a B + W can be mounted, but then you cannot affix the hood any longer.

Right Ivar, I didn't remember it...

I have v.2 of this lens and the filter thread pitch is 0.5mm, as distinct from most other lenses which have a filter thread pitch of 0.75mm. Depending on tolerances, a 0.75mm thread pitch filter will go on the Summilux, for example Hoyas will fit, and I have a B+W UV filter on mine.

I have v.2 of this lens and the filter thread pitch is 0.5mm, as distinct from most other lenses which have a filter thread pitch of 0.75mm. Depending on tolerances, a 0.75mm thread pitch filter will go on the Summilux, for example Hoyas will fit, and I have a B+W UV filter on mine.

Can you attach the lens hood properly also with the filter in place? I have found this impossible with any other filter than Leica, although I did not try Hoya. I have a v1 of the 1.4/50 and I also have the 1.4/50 ASPH LHSA which is identical in outer appearance. To obtain a filter with "modern" glass I have had to install B + W glass in old Leica mounts, as Leica no longer make UV in chrome, but the UV/IR is available.