Travel to Vietnam: Which lenses to take along my with M8?

ashwinrao1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Been to Vietnam five times. Here is what I would take:

21 and/or 28 (leave the 15 - it's too slow for dark alleys, night time etc)

35 asph (why not bring the best)

90 (will give better reach and compression than the 75)

The 50 is too in between, for me at least. Whenever I've had it along it rarely gets used.

Though I kind of have to agree with stnami: you own an embarrassment of riches yet don't know what works best for your style? Nobody else can tell you that. 2/3rds of your lenses I would sell and get a 28 cron, which works for 75% of my work and a zeiss 18mm that I use for the other 25%.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think there's a hidden question when the ubiquitous "what lens should I bring" question comes up. The hidden question is "What will I see there that will justify me bringing so and so lens?" This is based on the assumption that anyone asking this question is shooting general travel photography (mixture of landscape, portrait, street, etc.). Describing what there is to see and photography conditions can at least help Ashwin narrow his choices from all the lenses he has so he won't regret saying "oh darn, I wish I had my so and so lens with me".

I travelled to Hanoi, Halong Bay, Hue, and HCMC last Spring. In the urban areas, its pretty dense. Lots of people, markets are insanely crowded, store vendors spill into the sidewalks, and the streets are packed with cars and mopeds. I had my ultra-wide angle on pretty much 90% of the time in the urban areas. I don't and didn't like changing my lens because of how busy it was (not for fear of theft but just having the chance to stop, change lens, shoot, move, change back, and so on, with all the crowds).

In Halong Bay, there's opportunities for wide to telephoto opportunities. Since you'll be on the boat for most of the time, you can change lenses easier.

In Hue, the Citadel and the surrounding temples are pretty open so you'll have wide to telephoto opportunities there. It'll pretty much be you and your tour boat, so not much trouble changing lenses.

At night, the cities are just as busy as they are in the daytime. Unless your quick with your Noctilux at f/1, I don't think you'll get many shots in. At least I wasn't with what I had.

Enjoy your trip. Some non-photography advice (if you don't mind):

- Eat the local food. The venues may not be the cleanest or the nicest, but its the real thing. The western food I had at tourist traps were atrocious. We had a hard time finding a decent place to eat at in Hue since so much of it is "pizza" and "burgers". Pho, Banh Mi, and Cafe Sua Da will be part of your vocabulary by the time you leave.

- Haggle, haggle, haggle. As much as you think your getting a bargain, you can always get it cheaper. The vendors were really good at selling at tourist prices.

- Get to Ho Chi Minh's Mausoleum early. You wait on line for an hour only to see Uncle Ho himself for 1 minute.

- Definitely see the temples around Hue

- Be prepared for pushy vendors at Ben Thanh market in HCMC. We were quite annoyed at how pushy they got, but make the best of it. Its a tourist trap pretty much and other markets were not pushy at all.

- Be a bit weary near government buildings. I got a few finger wags from security when I was taking street photos next to the government buildings in Hanoi. Luckily they didn't approach me.

I have an M8 and many lenses. I have been keeping track of the lenses I use and find that my 28 asph and the 90 Emarit are my work horses. I would also take your 15 CV. The current issue of PhotoTechnique has an article by a pro from Sante Fe who only uses a 35 on an M6. Remember, when you are traveling the more you change lenses the greater the chance to get something on the sensor. Have a great time.

Have been to Vietnam several times and love it. For me it means street photography and the 28mm stays on the camera most of the time, with the 75mm much less often. I always have my M7 with me as both a backup and as a separate and wonderful tool. If I need a wider angle I just put the 28mm on the M7.

The food is great and the people are very engaging and full of optimism (they must not have heard yet that the world is ending according to the financial pundits, but maybe after all the bombing in the 60's they have some perspective on stress! ).

I think there's a hidden question when the ubiquitous "what lens should I bring" question comes up. The hidden question is "What will I see there that will justify me bringing so and so lens?" This is based on the assumption that anyone asking this question is shooting general travel photography (mixture of landscape, portrait, street, etc.). Describing what there is to see and photography conditions can at least help Ashwin narrow his choices from all the lenses he has so he won't regret saying "oh darn, I wish I had my so and so lens with me"

Exactly. I'm not sure why certain people get in a tizzy here about this as this is essentially the question really being asked.

One thing I have noticed over the years when traveling with M's and glass: the less kit you take, the more & better photos you take IMHO. These days I try hard to keep to a walk about travel outfit of a max of 3 lenses - and a pretty wide spread lens set of wide/super-wide, 'normal' and long. For me that might be WATE, 28 or 35 'cron and either 75 'cron/90 Elmarit or even 135 APO Telyt depending on where I'm going.

I spent two weeks in Vietnam and Cambodia earlier this year. A very wide angle lens (CV15) may well be your most important lens, the reason being everyone is sitting on the sidewalk (real low down). To shoot them, you have to get down to their level, or carry the camera at your side and shoot (not the coolest way, but unless you speak Vietnamese you are not going to connect too often). The wide angle will give you the benefit of the doubt of your aim. You will not often plop down on the sidewalk to shoot.

The second lens I used was the 35 1.4. Low light, really nice. It went on as the light dipped.

I carried several more lenses in my suitcase but never used them. 15/35 will do you what you need. And carry a belt pack for the unused lens and battery and make your camera invisible to the extent you can. BTW, get up way before sunrise. That is when the action really is happening. Go to bed late. Get exhausted and you will be happy with what you take.

Guest malland
Give yourself an uppercut for being so dumb as not to know how to take photos with the appropriate lenses you own. By the way dust the lenses off as you take them off the shelf and don't forget the 75mm f/2 that you are using as a door stop....... decisions beyond you?
Yup, this is what they call "tough love". This type of question was immortalised a few years ago on the photo.net Leica forum where someone asked, "I'm going to Cracow, what film should I take"?

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

Yup, this is what they call "tough love". This type of question was immortalised a few years ago on the photo.net Leica forum where someone asked, "I'm going to Cracow, what film should I take".

—Mitch/Paris

Bangkok Hysteria©: Book Project - a set on Flickr

Yikes!!!... I am booked on an April QE2 Panama passage and was going to ask the forum which lenses to take... We are limited to only 2 trunks?... I think i'll work out the dilemma on my own...

Thank you to all who have kindly offered answers. I appreciate the diversity of suggestions and have found your posts extremely enlightening. In effect, my question was hit on the head directly by calvinboy24 and others. I have no experience with what I may see in Vietnam (other than what's in guidebooks, often full of pics not taken by Leicaphiles), whereas I have done most of my Leica shooting in the US, which offers quite a different portfolio of captivating images.

My question was asked with the best of intentions, and certainly, I am guilty of owning or having access to many lenses. I apologize to any who I have offended/angered/aggravated in posting this topic. I will be careful before I post another topic in the future for fear of being admonished. I will make sure to dust my lenses before I leave as well:D (said in good humor, really)...

Finally, thank you deeply for the suggestions that go beyond photography. It is these subtleties that are often not found in guidebooks but are the priceless guide of personal experience. I will plan to haggle, eat lots of local food (my other big hobby other than photography is consumption of yummy edibles), and avoid shooting near government buildings.

As of now, I plan to take some advice and keep a compact kit. As of now, I am leading towards the CV 15, 28 elmarit, and a telephoto (70 or 90). I have to decide if film body will come along for the ride as well. Ultimately, I hope to share some images with you, as this seems to be the best way in which one should be judged.

One thing I have noticed over the years when traveling with M's and glass: the less kit you take, the more & better photos you take IMHO.

We went to Venice for the first time last March.

Despite having a choice of other lenses and cameras, I took only my M2 and a 35 ASPH. I didn't feel restricted or constrained by that choice once, and was glad that I didn't have to think about what lens to use at any one time. I am sure that I enjoyed the trip more, and I am certain that my wife did.

The normal photographer's character is a bit arrogant and bigheaded. Some photographers think that they shoot the best pictures. Some photographers think that they don't have any more to learn. But.. how are you going to improve their pictures? Sorry, their pictures and skills are already incredible. They'll be remembered as a great master.

The photographer's humility is reflected in its pictures.

Some of you travel a lot and it's just a normal part of your life. For some of us, a travel like that is a great challenge. We know what we are going to do but we need just a way to give us confidence. And between all these great photographers probably will come out a nice idea that will increase our admiration for them.

Some photographer travel with many lenses and anothers with just a couple or just one. It's very interesting to observe how this influence his photography. When I see a picture of a photojournalist, I try to guess what lens he used, but I would love to know what he had in his bag.

I remember my last travel to Madrid. Some nice members of this forum gave me some advises and it was very helpful. Another members of the forum were not interested in the thread and just didn't read it and didn't answer.

I'm not ready for the batle. I just wish nice travel and nice pictures to Ashwin

Very true, Miguel. The point is, however, that the question: "which lens to take?" is the wrong question to ask. It should be : "which photographic circumstances am I going to encounter, which subjects and what light?" Experienced members can be of great help to us in that case - and will be, given the way this forum works. In the matter of what equipment to use to master those circumstances an experienced photographer is best able to draw his own conclusions, or can ask the next question, i.e, "what lens is suitable for street photography, wildlife, etc." , according to his style and interest and draw again on the experience gathered here. But a blanket question like "I'm travelling to the North Pole tomorrow what lens should I take?" is impossible to answer.