Pimp my M8.2

JeffreyTotaro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I upgraded to the M8.2 partly because I like the black dot and black shoe. The bright white "M8" still bothered me so I took a toothpick to it. The white paint pops out pretty easily and smoothly. To dress it up a bit I applied slightly glossier black paint to the bare M8 with an enamel paint pen.

Take a look.

Will it effect resale, maybe, but there's probably someone who would appreciate the mod.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Black tape will give the same result., (chartpack tape,available in art supply shops).Tape residue comes off with a touch of olive oil on a q tip

The benefit to tape is it will not alter the camera. ANY alteration will affect resale. Usually for the negative.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The whole stealth thing is really overrated. I have a black M8 because it is the classic color and because I initially bought into the stealth argument. My next one is going to be silver, just because it's pretty too and I already have a black one. I shoot very close to people in the street and I believe color of the camera absolutely doesn't matter. It is mostly the way you blend in as a photographer that makes you invisible.

Aside from that, the black paint and vulcanite on the M8.2 is beautiful.

Guest PhotoWebb.co.uk

I've never understood this 'stealth' obsession. Anyone can see that this is a Leica, regardless of colour or presence of a red dot.

Chrome with red dot all the way for me too.

20 years ago it was high fashion among university employees in my country to remove trade marks etc. from their cars. Why drive around and advertise for the car maker ? It was idiotic, of course, since the car remained unaltered, and the VW Passat remained a VW Passat even without the badges. And it was not a beautiful sight to see the remaining holes in the car where the trade mark had been sitting. The fashion, luckily, has changed - to day the same employees drive in new VW Passats with trade marks.

BMW offers the buyer the possibility to have the car delivered without the type sign, and many people avail themselves of this possibility since it should be of no interest to their neighbours with which engine the car is equipped.

An a la carte possibility for the M 8.2 would be nice.

However, I see no point in individual owners destroying themselves the original state of their camera.

At the risk of upsetting a few (I apologis now) - here's my take on modifications to my gear. The M8 is acquiring a slight 'patina' (described in a Leica receipt as showing 'signs of use') which fortunately doesn't show here, but the lens shows a strictly practical modification. :eek::D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I've never understood this 'stealth' obsession. Anyone can see that this is a Leica, regardless of colour or presence of a red dot.

Chrome with red dot all the way for me too.

Actually I found a lot of people don't know it's a Leica and given that most SLRs are black these days people just go "oh, that looks old fashioned - you haven't gone digital?" Almost as if thinking "he's not a _real_ photographer". How much more stealth can you get than that :-)?

It looks like the camera is damaged - and the Leica script on the badge lens really stands out. You need to paint over that, or tape it over, and also I find the viewfinder and lens glasses highly reflective i.e. attention grabbing so if I were you I'd tape over them too whilst you're at it.

BMW and Merc owners who go for the 'debadged' option usually do so to hide the fact that they only have one of the base models.