Pimp my M8.2

JeffreyTotaro

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think the next project for someone is to paint the camera and get some cameraleather in "flesh" color, whatever matches the owner. Actually, a 1:1 vinyl graphic of the right side of the shooter's face would work best. That way it will look as if you're only holding a lens up to your face! Volunteers?

Yeah, how about a Hannibal Lector version, real human skin.

:eek:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Aston Martin was sold by Ford last year.

Aston Martin - The Company - News

Let's hope these guys have Kaufmann levels of cash :)

I should have known that! I know Ford sold Jaguar to Tata but Aston Martin were off my radar. I sincerely hope the new owners can make a success of it.

As an aside they need to raise Fords level of acceptable quality control - I was at an event a couple of years back and there were two new Astons on display, I sat in them and had a good look around. I was really quite shocked by two things. The doors sounded tinny and rattled when you closed them and one of the cars had rust bubbles all around the area where the exterior door handles are :eek:

Sorry, going OT!

I think your statement is highly subjective and not based on facts. Many people think that there is no reason to demonstrate their richness to others and that it is a private matter which type they have chosen. Some others also find it more fun to see the others get amazed when they race away from them.

Well I have a BMW and use a couple of owners forums on the net for info/advice. The vast majority of de-badgers apparently do so for the reasons I gave, some have said they just prefer the less cluttered look to their cars. The M owners want others to know they are behind an M !!

As they are currently trying to flog off part of the company, I would guess the money is running out. The other fun thing about an Aston is that you tend to become a close personal friend of your local breakdown guy. Just the car for someone who is missing their TVR.

On the "stealthed" M8, I am afraid I cannot see the point but each to their own. Some like gold plate and pink lizard skin, some like stealth.

Wilson

... waited for hours for the breakdown guy, so decided to take some pictures with my stealth black taped 8.2 :cool: (elmar 3,8/24)

sorry, could not resist :D

edit: picture delete because of wrong section...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Chrome is fine, but cancel the red blob please. :D

Don Goldberg (DAG cameras) will be happy to sell anyone who requires it, a black/silver logo disc to replace the red one. You may well be able to find them on ePrey as well.

Wilson

Some will say (or have already said) that you bollixed your camera, but that M8 is a tool: it's your tool, and if that pimp makes you more likely to pick it up, pack it along, and shoot it, then goodonya. Screw the resale value: shoot it until it falls apart in your hands. That's what it's for. Modify it however you want/need to make it work right. The entire right side of my M6ttl is covered in high-grip tape: it ain't pretty, but more useful as a camera than when the original leatherette was slipping out of my grasp.

When I bought my first M6ttl, I was so in awe that, although I packed it with me everyday, I couldn't bear to bring it out. When I got to work it went into a drawer, and at the end of the day it came out, went back into the bag, and got carried home. There we spent our evenings staring at one another, both a little peeved.

After a week, I realized what the problem was: I was too intimidated by the aura that had been created around the whole Leica Rangefinder thing. I hadn't been carrying a camera, I had been toting all of western civilization's image-making history around with me, and I just wasn't up to it. So I got out the gaffer's tape and taped up anything and everything that had that glow: the red dot got taped, the M6 got taped, the Made in Germany got taped.... And voila! It went from being an unreachable, untouchable icon to being my favorite tool of all time. I haven't sold it, and I never intend to. Taped up, paint wearing off the corners, and showing its age, it has given me more pleasure and greater service than treating it like a princess or returning it for my money would ever ever ever have done.

I'm not a brand monkey, and not any idiot can identify it as a Leica. That's one of the perks of taping. Most people think I'm packing the most ridiculously outdated point-and-shoot they've ever seen. They leave me alone. I like that. I know I'd be pissing away more of my time chatting up bumpkins if the red dot was showing. There are a few people who recognize the camera without the dot showing, and they're generally not idiots; we have a brief chat, and we go our separate ways. I generally don't buy things that advertise themselves, and often remove identifying labels if it's feasible. I simply prefer to move discreetly through the world, not draw attention to myself unduly, and so I reduce the eye-catches on my tools. The Leica name and logo are eye-magnets (and polarizers) to people; by eliminating that little snag, it reduces my interactions with people for whom the dot signifies 'Expensive Toy,' or, worse, 'Mug Me!' I pimp my cameras with tape. Always have. Always will.

My camera works better when it's pimped, because, when it is, I use it to take pictures.

That's the bottom line. It's only a camera if it's being used to take a picture.

So pimp that M8.

Pimp your M8 until it's the tool you need it to be, to do the work you need to do.

And if you want to sell it some day, neighbor Totaro, let me know: I can always use a good tool.

...The bright white "M8" still bothered me so I took a toothpick to it. The white paint pops out pretty easily and smoothly....

Hated the white paint of my M4-2 as well. Was some 30 years ago. No ridiculous red dot then.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hmmmm

So how about Leica belts? Red Dot. And available with either silver or black buckles?

;)

No- those were rather cheap-looking chrome buckles and grey/black reversible leather. I have one lying around somewhere...

I can't resist putting this up again .....

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Some will say (or have already said) that you bollixed your camera, but that M8 is a tool: it's your tool, and if that pimp makes you more likely to pick it up, pack it along, and shoot it, then goodonya. Screw the resale value: shoot it until it falls apart in your hands. That's what it's for. Modify it however you want/need to make it work right. The entire right side of my M6ttl is covered in high-grip tape: it ain't pretty, but more useful as a camera than when the original leatherette was slipping out of my grasp.

[...]

Pimp your M8 until it's the tool you need it to be, to do the work you need to do.

And if you want to sell it some day, neighbor Totaro, let me know: I can always use a good tool.

Well said!

Wow.

Yes.

If you need for your camera to be pink to do your work, pimp it pink.

If your clients breathe a sigh of relief when you show up with a chrome body and a red dot, then you're in luck, because you can buy one pimped from the factory just like that.

And if it needs to look like it's junk so that you don't get thumped while working in certain parts of town, junk it.

But no flame jobs.

Never flame job a Leica.

I shoot a lot in crowded places with my black red dot M8 and barely ever does anyone comment on my camera. On the few occasions it does happen, it is usually a fellow photographer and we have a nice little chat. It definitely does not interfere with my photography. What I get a lot more often is people saying that it is cool that I photograph with such an old camera and then they are amazed that it is digital.

The Leica recognition fear is completely overrated and I think that any gangbanger in LA would much rather steal a big fat Canon or Nikon DSLR than an old school Leica. They don't care about red dots.