USA upgrade price increase

thompsonkirk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Tony Rose - who ought to know - posted on the Rangefinder forum that the price of upgrades will rise significantly on 16 February.

I'd seen something here about Euro-area price increase but not about US, so I thought I should mention it. Or maybe everyone knew already!

Many many indignant e-mails on Rangefinder forum, so maybe don't bother here? just get in the upgrade line if you want to?

Kirk

Tony Rose - who ought to know - posted on the Rangefinder forum that the price of upgrades will rise significantly on 16 February.

I'd seen something here about Euro-area price increase but not about US, so I thought I should mention it. Or maybe everyone knew already!

Many many indignant e-mails on Rangefinder forum, so maybe don't bother here? just get in the upgrade line if you want to?

Kirk

In Europe, after the price increase was announced, we discovered that signing up for the upgrade before the price change deadline, even though the week you were booked for to have the work done was well into 2009, meant that the earlier price applied. Is there something like this happening in the US?

scott

There was a huge thread on the subject here; not surprising the cost is going up in the US as well. The increase in Europe is 50% across the board.

Depending on who you talk to, 1: it's a clear indication Leica want to get out of the upgrade business or 2: they under estimated the popularity of the upgrade and the upgrades are robbing parts from planned M8.2 production.

I just don't get it. The upgrade program is a hit and it is employees busy in tough economic times. Why are they messing with it? This was one of the things that Stephen Lee got right. They are making a lot of money with very little effort and they are keeping a loyal customer base happy.

Guest noah_addis

I had been considering upgrades for my two M8s, but couldn't decide if they were worth the money. If the price is indeed going up dramatically, there's no way I'll go for the upgrade. Frankly, this makes no sense and a few more stupid moves like this might make me dump all my leica gear.

Guest Luis D

Leica promised the M8 would be always upgradable, not that it would be always economically sensible to do so. If someone wants to upgrade their M8 even if it costs in the end as much or even more than to trade for an M8.2, Leica will oblige, and nobody can cry "broken promise" as they could if Leica just discontinued the programme. Somebody in Leica is a clever fox ;)

Guest Luis D
was the price increased or they are simply adjusting to the Euro/US$ exchange rate?

The Euro has become cheaper in US$ since the prices were first ordered, so if currency was the excuse, the US prices should be dropping. Either way goes the Euro up or down, Leica prices goes only up.

I absolutely agree. Having just had my older M8 [Nov. 06] upgraded, I was pleased to be able to extend the warranty, and am very pleased with the new shutter. I was considering upgrading my second body, purchased in early '08, but thought I'd wait until it was going to go out of warranty. What are they thinking? Given the beating I'd take on it selling--and that I've used Leicas ever since buying a new M2 a "few" years ago--I would like to upgrade, but if I combine the cost of the upgrade with a few more $$$, I could still use my old M8 and say, get an alpha 900 or 5D MkII, for things that the M8 won't do very well.

If I were just about to start out with digital Leica, I would hesitate, and then probably go off in a different direction. If I was just getting in, the price of the M8.2 would certainly deter me, for the same reason I suspect Nikon D3x's won't fly off the shelves. The point of diminishing returns has been passed for some of the long term customer base, and a lot of the potential, newer customers.

[Years ago, when driving a 944S, I had someone ask me if I still would have bought it, had the emblem on the hood read "Chevrolet"].

I just got word that I can send my M8 in for the upgrade today (sooner than expected considering the email that went out about delays). In any case, if I didn't already have an investment in Leica glass and pretty much committed to the rangefinder shooting method from my days shooting film, the prices of both the M8 and lenses would have detered me from getting in to the system.

Looking at the new US prices, they are still lower than the new euro prices, even if you take sales tax/VAT off the euro prices. That may be down to lower labour costs in the US or else just what the market will bear.

I can't believe Leica want to be in this business and feel sure that at some point, they will pull the plug.

I have to agree, Leica is just plain stupid. The upgrade does not even include a discreet shutter option,ridiculous. The only company raising prices at this time. I really wanted to stick with it but I will not be taken for a fool either. Now the current prices seem like a bargain go figure. I think it is time for me to let the digital side of things go and just stick with my M6. I am done.

Of course, the lack of discreet shutter mode on an upgraded M8 was the subject of the hot air and broken promises threads; just a firmware change and they've actually gone to the lengths of adding extra code to exclude it from the upgraded camera.

Stefan Daniels said this was because they had to keep an eye on their P&L account - as if a few lines of firmware are going to ride in like a knight on a white charger to rescue the business.

Truth it, the M8.2 is a cynical mid-life makeover with just a handful of upgraded/differently finished parts built to their current manufacturing and QA processes.

Isn't that an open invitation to firmware hackers?

even hackers have some business judgement. I don't think the number of M8 owners who would take the risk of running a discreet hack is sufficient to ensure lasting fame for the hacker and make it worth the considerable effort it will take to find those few lines and disable them.

But I imagine mark norton's workshop M8 project is able to delay the shutter cocking by now. And he can probably make it take pictures, too.

I still would love to see a picture of it all opened up for the exploration. Or the "Anatomy of a shutter" thread.

scott

Guest noah_addis

Does this mean Leica is almost out of M8 bodies and so they are raising the upgrade prices in order to spur M8.2 sales?

The more I think about this the more angry I get. I purchased my second M8 instead of an M8.2 thinking that I could upgrade both of my M8s in the future to extend the warranty and of course benefit from the upgrades. I would expect small price increases, but if the price goes up 50% then forget it.

I'm fed up. As much as I love rangefinders, I am running a business and it's hard to justify dumping more and more money into a system with a future that is questionable at best.